Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2021, 11:48 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Expect significant price increases sneaking in across most products

QuoteQuote:
TSMC is the biggest chipmaker in the world and the company responsible for the processors used by Apple, AMD, Nvidia, Qualcomm, and even some Intel products. And its products are about to get a lot more expensive: the company plans to raise prices of its advanced chips by around 10 percent and less advanced products by about 20 percent
TSMC is raising chip prices as supply shortages continue - The Verge

With cameras (and more recently lenses) being little computers, this will not take too long. And it will be in addition to what already happened.

That turns a $2000 camera into a $2200-2400 camera.

With the mechanics of supply chain bottlenecks and empty shelves there might be more effects driving up prices even for older equipment.

I guess the "wait to see the prices coming down" approach will need extra 2-3 years waiting time.

08-27-2021, 01:04 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
But the cost of a camera is not just the price of the chip
08-27-2021, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I've never seen prices drop since I was born, either flat or increase, depending on period. In the long run, wages increase as well. What I'm seeing more and more however, is the price of basic goods stays the same (rice, pasta, toilet paper, water, electricity etc...), and the price and variety of non-essential good is on the rise (things like electronic devices, insurance, travel). The price of some basic products (yet essential) can get to be ridiculously low.

---------- Post added 27-08-21 at 11:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
But the cost of a camera is not just the price of the chip
That's correct. If the price of the chip increase 40$, the price of the camera increases $400 due to profit margin, importer margin, retailer margin and VAT all being compounded multipliers of the initial cost increase.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-27-2021 at 02:05 AM.
08-27-2021, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many manufacturers may have pricing contracts already in place for a certain amount of product in a certain time frame.

08-27-2021, 03:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Curious to know how much of lens cost is chips. I can't imagine its very much at all. At least not Pentax lenses. There are reasonbly powerful chips in single use or otherwise throwaway products.
08-27-2021, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is an assumption here that TMSC manufacture the chips used by Pentax. That we don’t know. They are likely sourced from a number of manufacturers. The expensive chips will be in the camera and not lenses. Recent chip supply costs possibly may explain the relatively high cost of the K-3iii vs the K-1. The K-1 main processor chips were likely all manufactured some years ago at a contracted price and slowly been drawn down from inventory as cameras are assembled.
08-27-2021, 06:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Next FF models cost $3000 to $4000 , there is a lot of room inside that price to accommodate for the slightly more expensive chips.

08-27-2021, 08:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
There is an assumption here that TMSC manufacture the chips used by Pentax.
Even if they don't, the places that do will be contracted (or possibly just forced) to make other more "important" chips than Pentax. The shortage is worldwide and will affect everything for which the chips are not already made and waiting to be assembled into a product. There is no way cellphones, cars, commercial needs, etc don't beat out consumer DSLRs and lenses for priority. (And if even they only were to need "stock" chips that everybody else uses also, they'd probably still find themselves last in line somehow.)
08-27-2021, 09:32 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

All one has to do is read the news to know that. The most likely effect of the chip shortage, covid surge, and climate change, short term, is an interruption of Ricoh's manufacturing. Price increases in the supply chain? Meh...small concern.

Steve
08-27-2021, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

I'm glad I have enough cameras and lenses to survive a few years of supply chain interruptions. Cameras are at the top of my survival kit list, next comes water, then food, toilet paper etc...

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-28-2021 at 12:23 AM.
08-27-2021, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've never seen prices drop since I was born, either flat or increase, depending on period. In the long run, wages increase as well. What I'm seeing more and more however, is the price of basic goods stays the same (rice, pasta, toilet paper, water, electricity etc...), and the price and variety of non-essential good is on the rise (things like electronic devices, insurance, travel). The price of some basic products (yet essential) can get to be ridiculously low.
Go down!? Drop!? Hah! As you say, it just doesn't happen.

I grew up in the 40s and 50s. Today I mentally divide by 10 to compare a price to its 1960s counterpart. The overall change is about 9.25, but I find using a factor of 10 incredibly accurate for most of what I buy. On the other hand, my wife signed her first teaching contract in 1966 for about $4,700.

Last edited by AggieDad; 08-27-2021 at 05:05 PM.
08-27-2021, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just bought a bunch of new gear over the last few months so I should be good for awhile. When on my last buying binge I was warned by the salesman that prices on alot of stuff will be going up in the near future 9big surprise)
08-28-2021, 01:22 AM   #13
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

maybe it's time for a new pentax without any chips
08-28-2021, 02:38 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Inflation has been pretty bad this year, at least in the US. The Consumer Price Index rose by over 5 percent in June. I think camera gear is probably the least of our worries.
08-28-2021, 04:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Inflation has been pretty bad this year, at least in the US. The Consumer Price Index rose by over 5 percent in June. I think camera gear is probably the least of our worries.
To my understanding the US calculates its inflation rates very similar to the EU these days.
That does mean that for products like DSLRs the inflation is adjusted downwards for the value of the new features added in new successor products.
This again could mean that in the official statistics the price inflation of K-3 II versus K-3 III has not risen at all or even dropped...

QuoteQuote:
The hedonic quality adjustment method removes any price differential attributed to a change in quality by adding or subtracting the estimated value of that change from the price of the old item.
In other words: In markets with continuous technological advances the real world price growth for succesor products is systematically higher than the officially stated inflation (which is currently already pretty bad).

See: Quality Adjustment in the CPI : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics - RD012 is subject to "hedonic adjustments" of unknown quantities.