Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2021, 12:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Contractual difference between pre-order and normal order?

What's the difference between pre-order and normal order?
What's the delivery times relative to official availability for normal orders?
What about risks of getting one of those bad production batches and about warranty conditions?

10-23-2021, 02:38 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Pre-order just means you are at the front of the queue. Warranty is identical and bad production batches can happen at any time.
10-23-2021, 04:08 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What about risks of getting one of those bad production batches
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
Pre-order just means you are at the front of the queue. Warranty is identical and bad production batches can happen at any time.
There's always a greater risk of issues with the earliest production runs. That's the price you pay for being an early adopter of any new product. I think the risk is pretty low, though. Most products are remarkably well-sorted these days from a hardware perspective, and if there are any issues, they're most likely addressable in firmware. That said, whilst we need folks to jump in and buy those early batches, I'm no longer one of them. I'd rather wait 6 - 12 months and see if any issues transpire...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-23-2021 at 04:21 AM.
10-23-2021, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

There is pre-order and pre-order: If you ie. would buy the new 21mm at Ricoh's webshop (Europe) you must pay the whole amount and have to wait till Ricoh ships. Then there is the system the let you pay €/$ 100,00 and before they deliver they ask you to pay the rest of the amount due before they send that 21mm on its way. If you do not, then you lost your money. The third one is a pre-order with no payment at all, sometimes called "reservation". You are in front of the queue, but the seller must at that moment in time ask you whether you still want the delivery and if so, ask you to pay the amount. If you do not, you do not get that 21mm and you have not lost money. In all three cases, however, you have in the European Union the legal right to cancel the order within 14 days of delivery. So there, with all three options, you are safe, because you will not lose money if you have second thoughts.

10-24-2021, 12:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
There is pre-order and pre-order: If you ie. would buy the new 21mm at Ricoh's webshop (Europe) you must pay the whole amount and have to wait till Ricoh ships. Then there is the system the let you pay €/$ 100,00 and before they deliver they ask you to pay the rest of the amount due before they send that 21mm on its way. If you do not, then you lost your money. The third one is a pre-order with no payment at all, sometimes called "reservation". You are in front of the queue, but the seller must at that moment in time ask you whether you still want the delivery and if so, ask you to pay the amount. If you do not, you do not get that 21mm and you have not lost money. In all three cases, however, you have in the European Union the legal right to cancel the order within 14 days of delivery. So there, with all three options, you are safe, because you will not lose money if you have second thoughts.
Interesting. Many thanks. Some of what you write sound like the experience I had with Fuji. Earlier this year I pre-ordered the Fuji GFX100S, when it finally arrived I declined the purchase but I didn't have to pay anything. Actually, they didn't mind that I declined to purchase since there were still customers queuing for a GFX100S, it sold immediately.
10-24-2021, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Most reputable stores here will not charge any money up front for a pre-order and handle it just as a reservation.
Once the item comes close to delivery they confirm a "real" order.

Due to the 14 day free returns without reason to be given after shipment legislation in the EU dealers have no interest in creating more complications.
If you have a good relationship with the dealer they'll even send the item first and only ask you to pay the invoice later.