Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2021, 03:55 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Most learners and even experienced DSLR owners, lets add MILC owners to this, when looking through the veiwfinder, do what is commonly known as "gunsighting" most just focus their attention on the centre of the frame, and don't really take the whole composition of their subject into account, how many times have you seen head and shoulder portraits taken with the persons head in the centre of the frame with a heap of space above the subject .....
I noticed some time ago that I do this when I have the O-ME53 magnifier on the K-1. While it's great for some types of photography where I want to have higher magnification on the subject, the corners of the viewfinder are not really easy visible with glasses, so I've taken to bringing the default eyepiece rubber as well, just in case I find that I'm messing up at the corners.

Here's hoping that they can bring the eyepoint further back with the next K-1 iteration...

11-25-2021, 04:12 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Yeah, some people on youtube are good photographers, but you get the feeling a lot of them are as interested in putting out an interesting video and promoting this or that.
Could it be that if you are videoing yourself taking photos, you want your face visible so that people can see glorious you the whole time you are filming? I have heard this is a big deal in movies when they put helmets on people - like super heroes and astronauts and stuff like that. They usually CGI them on now, because a typical helmet obscures people's faces too much for them to emote on screen.
11-25-2021, 04:27 AM   #33
Lev
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Thanks for all the answers, I'm still puzzled. One guy from SLR Lounge who is a Canon shooter was shooting through the viewfinder back around 2013-2016 and now was shooting smart phone style???? Looks might unstable to me, but what do I know.....LOL.
people's shooting style may change over time but to me composing through the viewfunder is much more comfortable as it eliminates out of my sight everything around the frame.
01-13-2022, 11:30 PM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You are assuming that these people know what they are doing based on the fact they have a YouTube channel and some Instagram followers.
My neighbors dog has both if those, just to put it in context.

In many of the Facebook photography groups, having the ability to turn the camera on makes you a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER.

On the u tube, if you know how to remove the lens cap, or to put the camera onto automatic exposure mode, you are a genuine, certified Professional Photographer.

01-14-2022, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does it even matter how the person wants/prefers to shoot?

Yeah, maybe they started off with HP, maybe they don't know how to use EVF.

But so what?
Its about creating a photo (and hopefully a good one) and its the bottom line that counts.

I have seen LV phone shooters give interesting perspectives that I have never thought of because I was limited to not wanting to always bend/ squat/ lie on the ground / etc.
Waist level shooting like in the old TLR days? - yeah... LV
Talking to kids and taking a shot w/o them being too aware of the candid? - LV
Soggy ground shot of the mushroom? -LV again
Standing higher up and want the subject to look up at you while having the camera lower than your eye level? yeah.. LV
More accurate focus at large apertures with DSLR - LV

A more stable camera may not be needed anyway shooting in good light.
To me, the more bag of tricks one can master, the more versatile the person is as a photographer.
01-14-2022, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Does it even matter how the person wants/prefers to shoot?

Yeah, maybe they started off with HP, maybe they don't know how to use EVF.

But so what?
Its about creating a photo (and hopefully a good one) and its the bottom line that counts.

I have seen LV phone shooters give interesting perspectives that I have never thought of because I was limited to not wanting to always bend/ squat/ lie on the ground / etc.
Waist level shooting like in the old TLR days? - yeah... LV
Talking to kids and taking a shot w/o them being too aware of the candid? - LV
Soggy ground shot of the mushroom? -LV again
Standing higher up and want the subject to look up at you while having the camera lower than your eye level? yeah.. LV
More accurate focus at large apertures with DSLR - LV

A more stable camera may not be needed anyway shooting in good light.
To me, the more bag of tricks one can master, the more versatile the person is as a photographer.
Good examples of photo opportunities, enjoyed by a significant number of users, which appear to have been ignored in the quasi-religious belief in only the OVF, promoted by the Gospel According to Pentax.

Philip
01-14-2022, 05:28 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I will say that a lot of non-photographer people are used to using their phones to shoot and if you hand them your camera to take an image, they don't immediately use the viewfinder.
I once handed someone a camera to take group portrait, they held it out like pointing shoot and asked (how do I see the image.?" It turns out the person had never used a viewfinder of any type.

01-14-2022, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
promoted by the Gospel According to Pentax.
Pentax has live view, and the tilting back screen allows any kind of shooting an EVF does. What a cheap shot. Pentax isn't opposed to electronic screens, but they do give you a choice, back screen or OVF. That's not possible in the religiously dogmatic view of MILC producers. To them, OVF is excommunicated. Pentax gives me a more eclectic choice, rather than being dogmatically electronic, not based on some people's immature conception that it can only be one way, but making use of both, each for what they are best suited for.

Last edited by normhead; 01-14-2022 at 05:41 AM.
01-14-2022, 06:05 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax has live view, and the tilting back screen allows any kind of shooting an EVF does. What a cheap shot. Pentax isn't opposed to electronic screens, but they do give you a choice, back screen or OVF. That's not possible in the religiously dogmatic view of MILC producers. To them, OVF is excommunicated. Pentax gives me a more eclectic choice, rather than being dogmatically electronic, not based on some people's immature conception that it can only be one way, but making use of both, each for what they are best suited for.
Sorry, Norm - there's a misunderstanding here.

My reply was not about EVF, but it was to a post from pinholecam which was all about examples of using LV - live view. I am not interested in an EVF - I do like using an OVF. But I also appreciate and value the extra shooting opportunities which a moveable live view screen gives.

The Pentax philosophy for the K-3iii is all about using the OVF, and not using live view, which is one of their justifications for not including a moveable rear screen. I think the latter was a mistake and has likely lost Pentax a significant number of buyers, including me.

Philip
01-14-2022, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
I think the latter was a mistake and has likely lost Pentax a significant number of buyers, including me.
And me as well. I'm hoping they rectify this in the K-3 mark 3 mark2. (Pentax really messed up completely changing their electronics and not using a new name.)

I'm ready to move back to APS-c for almost all my use, and the K-3 checks many boxes but I use live view, the tilt screen and pixel shift extensively for mushroom and some landscape images. As much as I'd like to consolidate into APS-c, they aren't making the camera I'd need to do that.

Last edited by normhead; 01-14-2022 at 06:37 AM.
01-14-2022, 06:36 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And me as well. I'm hoping they rectify this in the K-3 mark 3 mark2. (Pentax really messed up completely changing their electronics and not using a new name.)
This is true in my opinion.

---------- Post added 01-14-22 at 08:39 AM ----------

Iíve used live view handheld on my KP and even the original K-3 for portraits. Iíve mainly done so when critical focus was difficult to get and itís often been mixed in with ovf shots. When I do use live view handheld itís not with my arms extended, theyíre still tucked in some and the camera is more supported than Iíve seen on videos. It does mean a higher shutter speed is required.
01-14-2022, 06:50 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the name was from the realization that they were running out of progression numbers, so there was either a new progression coming (which would have looked like... I dunno, letters again? Changing the "K" at the beginning?), or this.

IMO this is the right thing to do.
01-14-2022, 07:03 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I think the name was from the realization that they were running out of progression numbers, so there was either a new progression coming (which would have looked like... I dunno, letters again? Changing the "K" at the beginning?), or this.

IMO this is the right thing to do.
They could just have easily called it the K20D mark ii, since it has no mechanical other relationship to any K camera. There are lots of Pentax cameras that never got a markII configuration. Why use the III when there are lots of II names available? Just kidding, I know why. You couldn't sell me another camera labelled a K20D. My experience with the first one was not all that grand. It was an adequate camera, but the K-5 blew it away.
01-14-2022, 08:42 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
* bad habits persist because telling someone they are "doing it wrong" isn't allowed anymore
Heard a great interview the other day about a comedian.

They were discussing why he turned down being valedictorian at his high school graduation.

He later was asked, having reached success to give a key note speech to a new graduating class.

He said he turned down doing his own valedictorian speech because he was afraid of failure, but through his career, all of his best lessons came from failure, and you shouldnít it be afraid to try,

Itís an interesting life lesson considering e now donít even consider telling kids now that something is wrong, itís different, interesting, or some other positive reinforcement, but never the truth