Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2021, 07:37 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Is it simply that they want to be able to use the touch screen to choose their focus point?
Not from what I could see on the video, the shooter's hand never changed positions holding the camera.

11-23-2021, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
but what do I know.....LOL.
Waaaay more than those “pros”! I’ve seen your work, and I’ve seen theirs.
11-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Waaaay more than those “pros”! I’ve seen your work, and I’ve seen theirs.
Thanks, Tom I appreciate the compliment. But you must have me confused with someone who knows what he is doing!
11-23-2021, 09:15 PM   #19
Pentaxian

It might be a generational thing. Are your YouTube portrait shooters mostly young?

11-24-2021, 12:08 AM   #20

Well, if they are shooting with strobes camera shake is probably not an issue. I do portrait photography in my home studio with strobes, but I still can't imagine not looking through the viewfinder unless I was doing a self portrait.
11-24-2021, 01:08 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I've noticed that a good many portrait photographers hold and shoot their cameras, both DSLR and Mirrorless, like a person holding a smart phone, out in front of their body. Surely they can't be as stable shooting this way as the traditional way of supporting the camera and lens composing through the viewfinder. What am I missing here?
Perhaps the answer should come from experimentation. Compare both methods for yourself to find out which you feel most comfortable with and, of course, which gives you your best results. It then shouldn't matter what others do.

Philip
11-24-2021, 02:01 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Last Saturday a friend of mine had a short shoot with a local photographer. He was using the LCD exclusively (Canon 5D4, so touch screen and face detection).

The Canon has OSPDAF I think (or at least it focused very quickly). With the shutter speeds of 1/500 or so he was using, you don't get camera shake, but I know from experience that holding out the camera is to be done only for short times. Personally I don't use the LCD for portraits except for angles where I need the tilt screen - both because I enjoy the OVF a lot, and because the K-1's CDAF is atrocious, while the AF point selection is clunky as well. LV is for manual focus

11-24-2021, 03:29 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will say that a lot of non-photographer people are used to using their phones to shoot and if you hand them your camera to take an image, they don't immediately use the viewfinder.

I will use the live view mode occasionally when I am shooting a portrait at 85mm and f1.4 and I want face recognition (I think Clackers mentioned that), but otherwise it's an uncomfortable way to hold a camera and certainly isn't terribly stable.
11-24-2021, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #24

Have you looked at a portfolio of the work from any of these youtubers?
11-24-2021, 06:15 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ever thought eye detection works through the viewfinder of an evil camera as well. I'am sure it does on the Alpha 7ii (or iii??) of a friend of mine and that is not the latest model.
11-24-2021, 06:20 AM   #26
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
* EVFs of mirrorless cameras really do suck -- no pro wants to stare into an EVF for hours
I'm going with Photoptimist's view that EVF's suck. All the ones I've tried, Olympus, Fuji and to a lesser extent, Canon, were awful. The canon one was at least usable once I'd tweaked it. The guy in the Fuji shop told me they had one of the best EVF's on the market, I dunno if he had his fingers crossed behind his back when he said it.

That said I do use the screen on my KP quite a lot more than I did, handy for seeing exposure changes with view angle, flare etc... and held tight on the end of the strap around my neck, a well known way of adding a bit of stabilisation and of course in flippy mode for odd or low camera angles.
11-24-2021, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've highlighted the answer for you.

Yeah, some people on youtube are good photographers, but you get the feeling a lot of them are as interested in putting out an interesting video and promoting this or that.
11-24-2021, 07:57 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I think it comes down to how the eye, and ones brain, see's the composition. Most learners and even experienced DSLR owners, lets add MILC owners to this, when looking through the veiwfinder, do what is commonly known as "gunsighting" most just focus their attention on the centre of the frame, and don't really take the whole composition of their subject into account, how many times have you seen head and shoulder portraits taken with the persons head in the centre of the frame with a heap of space above the subject ..... When viewing the LV or rear LCD of a camera, you are forced to be looking at the picture as a whole (even if you don't realize it), framing up subjects because you are looking at a picture, not looking into a viewfinder. When these kiddies now have jumped from their smartphones, to bigger cameras, they take the same way of viewing with them. One of the earliest lessons I had at school with a K1000 actually was how not the gunsight and to be aware of the entire frame, and compose my shots, essential back when you only took 24-36 photos a month.
11-25-2021, 03:45 AM   #29
imr

Well I guess in portraits you can easily use live view
11-25-2021, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

I've decided to learn a good bit more about portrait photography, of which I know virtually nothing. I've gone to the source of all knowledge-----YouTube. I've noticed that a good many "portrait photographers hold and shoot their cameras, both DSLR and Mirrorless, like a person holding a smart phone, out in front of their body. Surely they can't be as stable shooting this way as the traditional way of supporting the camera and lens composing through the viewfinder. What am I missing here?
You are assuming that these people know what they are doing based on the fact they have a YouTube channel and some Instagram followers.
My neighbors dog has both if those, just to put it in context.