Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2021, 06:17 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax land dilemma?

Perhaps someone from Pentaxland should apply?

DPReview is hiring!: Digital Photography Review

12-21-2021, 06:37 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just don't mention the P word in the interview.
12-21-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Parallax??
12-21-2021, 08:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I looked out of curiosity. One position is editorial and would likely have influence but you’re going to need to live in Seattle.

12-21-2021, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

If they have that many vacancies, it might explain why they have been so slow with getting out reviews recently. There are a couple of long-standing contributors that I haven't seen a lot from lately.

I wonder why they are so insistent on their staff being located in Seattle when the nature of their business is online reviews? When Amazon took over, they relocated everyone to Seattle, which I thought was a bit drastic at the time, but perhaps the people concerned were up for the move. I can say that relocating overseas is great, until something like COVID prevents you from coming home to see you family. I wonder if one of the UK staff has decided to go home.

Since they cover the camera industry, I've always thought it would make sense to have at least one person in Japan who could talk to the camera companies directly. As it is, they just come to Japan for CP+ or when some camera company is kind enough to pay their expenses for them. I'm not saying I'd have the right skills or desire to work for them, though.
12-21-2021, 11:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Perhaps someone from Pentaxland should apply?
There's actually one or two jobs for creating review content, everything else is either for web devpts or selling promotional services e.g. selling online advertising services to e.g. product manufacturer, e.g create multi-media content to promote your camera online, such as hands on review, video review, partial review, full review, review update, black friday review, christmas gift review, end of the year review, under 1000 buying guide, over 3000 buying guide, landscape gear guide, portrait gear guide, sport gear guide, and I charge lots of money for doing it (repetition+exposure does matter in marketing). Now, if you don't want to pay, we'll only review your camera when we have nothing else to do, e.g when there wasn't a new camera release for awhile and we need more content to keep our web site running.
12-22-2021, 12:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seattle based. No ….

12-22-2021, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Move to Seattle? Nah. I love Lancaster too much
12-22-2021, 02:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Maybe I'm just old but I remember applying for jobs where the ad explained what the applicant was expected to do and what they were meant to know. There would be list of tasks with outcomes. Appropriate qualifications would be identified. Imagine a job interview where you'd have to relate the last time you delighted an amorphous group of people.
12-22-2021, 04:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A pentaxian applying for that position? A black sheep I guess. Biased they'd say...Ha..
12-22-2021, 05:02 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Move to Seattle? Nah. I love Lancaster too much
Weather's about the same, I think
12-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Weather's about the same, I think
I thought in Seattle they measured snow depth by the meter. All we get is a dusting. Everything in moderation. Its the British way .... and sometimes it is incredibly dull. Sometimes I want a little more drama than seeing one of my gnomes get blown over ... Maybe I should move to Seattle
12-22-2021, 06:07 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought in Seattle they measured snow depth by the meter. All we get is a dusting. Everything in moderation. Its the British way .... and sometimes it is incredibly dull. Sometimes I want a little more drama than seeing one of my gnomes get blown over ... Maybe I should move to Seattle
Average Snowfall Per Month (Seattle):

Month Average Inches
January 0.1
February 0.7
March 0.08
November 0.04
12-22-2021, 06:16 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought in Seattle they measured snow depth by the meter. All we get is a dusting.
I was thinking more of the temperature and rainfall... Didn't realise they experienced such heavy snow. Wow That said, the weather's changed here over the years. When I was a young lad - infant / junior school age - we lived in a small ex-mining community in a very rural area about 15 minutes from my current home. It seemed like every year there were a few Winter days where the school mini-bus couldn't get through, and my Dad couldn't shift his car because of the snow drifts. I can't recall seeing any snow like that around here for years... decades, even.

Everything in moderation. Its the British way .... and sometimes it is incredibly dull. Sometimes I want a little more drama than seeing one of my gnomes get blown over ... Maybe I should move to Seattle
I'm OK with dull, and like the fact that we don't often experience extremes. Still, I think we get a nice variety of weather, though I wouldn't mind a few more sunny days during the height of Summer... actually, a good few more wouldn't go amiss
12-22-2021, 07:14 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Maybe I'm just old but I remember applying for jobs where the ad explained what the applicant was expected to do and what they were meant to know.
That's still the case in my field, at least.

I thought in Seattle they measured snow depth by the meter.
You're confusing Seattle with Quebec city