Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
less competition for Pentax?

Canon’s Chairman and CEO Fujio Mitarai: “EOS-1D X Mark III is our last DSLR”

Canon's Chairman and CEO Fujio Mitarai: ?EOS-1D X Mark III is our last DSLR? - Y.M.Cinema - News & Insights on Digital Cinema

---------- Post added 12-29-21 at 11:22 ----------

+ some Nikon rumors :

Although not yet announced Nikon D6 is possibly the last of Nikons DSLRs.

12-28-2021, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Less competition for Pentax? I feel more like Pentax will be the only brand to appeal to the niche that wants the optical viewfinder experience. So yeah, less competition in the DSLR segment, but in photography overall? Not so much.
12-28-2021, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
It is possible that Nikon might regard Canon's withdrawal as an opportunity to own the high-end DSLR market, if they judge that there will be sufficient residual interest. I doubt it though.

I don't think being the only DSLR manufacturer is a comfortable market position for Pentax/Ricoh.
12-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't know enough about Canon products, so I maybe wrong here.

But is the lens mount different between the Canon DSLR and Canon mirrorless ?

If so are their adaptors that work well with joining DSLR lenses with the Canon Mirrorless mount, that people can use, without any loss of function to either their DSLR lens or mirrorless body...when attached to the Canon Mirrorless camera ?

Also does the Canon Mirrorless system have it all over the Canon DSLR system ?

12-28-2021, 10:16 PM - 3 Likes   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

I always thought that Canon and Nikon would switch over to mirrorless swiftly once they made the shift. It looked like they were late starters, but they were just waiting for the right time to make the switch rather than have some prolonged transition period. There is clearly no life left in either mount now - just a few cameras strategically left in production for a while. Pentax has also made their own stance clear in their messaging.

Pentax definitely has a chance to pick up some users who value the OVF experience. Even if just 1% of Canon and Nikon users moved over to Pentax, it would have a big impact on sales for a small company like Pentax. They need to do some kind of promotion to target this market in my opinion - something that extolls the virtues of OVFs and gives confidence that Pentax is going to keep developing new products. I wonder if they will do this though. They seem to target their marketing at existing users.

There is no reason why Pentax can't coexist with mirrorless makers, but I fear it means that the cameras will get more expensive compared to other brands. DSLRs just have more parts than mirrorless cameras and also need some extra calibration work. The other issue is that some of the DSLR-specific parts might get more difficult/expensive to source once Canon and Nikon's volume has gone.
12-28-2021, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

It's a business opportunity for Pentax, such decision will push Canon 1Dx mk III users to buy a Pentax K3 mk III and a 55-300 PLM , or a DFA15-450 with Pentax K1 mk II accelerator chip and its 3 frames per second 6 raw files buffer at ISO3200. And all this because 1Dx users don't like electronic viewfinders

---------- Post added 29-12-21 at 06:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
Less competition for Pentax? I feel more like Pentax will be the only brand to appeal to the niche that wants the optical viewfinder experience.
I've tried mirrorless camera but the electronic viewfinder experience felt weird to me, not that it was bad, but it felt completely artificial with some lag when panning in low light, however I guess that was 4 years ago and I suppose this has improved a lot in the latest camera models. That said, to be honest, I give more importance to what the camera can do (sensor size, resolution, ability to focus, ability to get images that look amazing) rather than being obsessed by OVF vs EVF, for me what's keep to choice of camera isn't EVF or OVF, it's the ability to deliver the sort of images I want and usability (not messing up with complex distracting menus, e.g I prefer direct access). I don't believe in selecting a camera just because it's got an OVF, I think for Pentax to remain relevant in the market they must keep up with state of the art imaging technology and still provide great usability. So far, the biggest risk for Pentax is to lag behind in imaging tech. (as of 2021, Pentax K1 guts being D800 old tech with 33 AF point, completely outdated , problem is not the OVF, it's something else).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-28-2021 at 11:12 PM.
12-28-2021, 10:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Surely the others have focused on MILCs. The real challenge for Pentax now is to make DSLRs that have so many attractive features as to win photographers from Canonikon that still prefer an OVF and keep the DSLRs close to the MILCs in terms of performance... Since the sensors are the same (so top level IQ won't be a problem) a superb OVF and a very capable AF system with a fast FPS and deep buffer are essential features for the next Pentax cameras to remain relevant and competitive.

12-28-2021, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I don't know enough about Canon products, so I maybe wrong here.

But is the lens mount different between the Canon DSLR and Canon mirrorless ?

If so are their adaptors that work well with joining DSLR lenses with the Canon Mirrorless mount, that people can use, without any loss of function to either their DSLR lens or mirrorless body...when attached to the Canon Mirrorless camera ?

Also does the Canon Mirrorless system have it all over the Canon DSLR system ?
Canon EF mount for SLR/DSLR, introduced 1987. RF mount for mirrorless (2018).

The EF-to-RF adapter contains no optics, and allows full AF and IS. EF lenses should still have many years of usefulness ahead of them.

---------- Post added 29-12-21 at 05:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Surely the others have focused on MILCs. The real challenge for Pentax now is to make DSLRs that have so many attractive features as to win photographers from Canonikon that still prefer an OVF and keep the DSLRs close to the MILCs in terms of performance... Since the sensors are the same (so top level IQ won't be a problem) a superb OVF and a very capable AF system with a fast FPS and deep buffer are essential features for the next Pentax cameras to remain relevant and competitive.
And I think we're mainly talking FF here. I suspect that is where some residual OVF fans may chiefly lie.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 12-28-2021 at 11:28 PM.
12-28-2021, 11:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've tried mirrorless camera but the electronic viewfinder experience felt weird to me, not that it was bad, but it felt completely artificial. That said, to be honest, I give more importance to what the camera can do (sensor size, resolution, ability to focus, ability to get images that look amazing) rather than being obsessed by OVF vs EVF, for me what's keep to choice of camera isn't EVF or OVF, it's the ability to deliver the sort of images I want and usability (not messing up with complex distracting menus, e.g I prefer direct access).
This is kind of how I feel also, remember the discussion we had about uniwb and view data has to how it is being recorded within the raw file and the difficulties of trying to incorporate into a DSLR. with an EFV this can be done rather easily and can also include uniwb into how you are viewing the images and see how they are being recording. This is the biggest advantage I see with the EVF. this can be done for almost all typs of photography sports to landscape

Also as the development of dual stream technology for no more blackout in the EFV
12-28-2021, 11:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Less competition for Pentax, yes, but only for the remaining dslr fans and with the assumption that a new camera is released every now and then... The need for a new FF will be obvious soon enough. The presumably last Canonikon bodies are top dslr pro cameras. Pentax will first need a strong push ahead of those and then establish a production line to satisfy a niche-by then- crowd. Idk about cost and distribution of parts, since it’s more or less custom (except sensors), but I imagine we will then be talking about THE dslr brand. Will that bring all those OVF lovers aboard or will they switch to mirrorless? That’s the big question.
12-29-2021, 12:09 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Less competition for Pentax, yes, but only for the remaining dslr fans and with the assumption that a new camera is released every now and then... The need for a new FF will be obvious soon enough. The presumably last Canonikon bodies are top dslr pro cameras. Pentax will first need a strong push ahead of those and then establish a production line to satisfy a niche-by then- crowd. Idk about cost and distribution of parts, since it’s more or less custom (except sensors), but I imagine we will then be talking about THE dslr brand. Will that bring all those OVF lovers aboard or will they switch to mirrorless? That’s the big question.
Being successful with DSLR would require that Pentax DSLR technology remains competitive and with more choices than just one camera body for the whole market (e.g K1 II or no other FF model). Today , Ricoh aren't even able to address 100% of the own K mount market, there is no 24Mpixels FF model @ 8FPS, nor 60Mpixel FF model. So basically a number of Pentaxians just bought a Sony camera with an K to FE mount adapter. If Ricoh can't keep Pentaxians who already have K mount glass, I don't see how they can attract customers who don't have K mount glass but have other DSLR mount glass or even MILC glass, none of this can be adapted to a K mount camera.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-29-2021 at 12:18 AM.
12-29-2021, 12:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That said, to be honest, I give more importance to what the camera can do (sensor size, resolution, ability to focus, ability to get images that look amazing) rather than being obsessed by OVF vs EVF, for me what's keep to choice of camera isn't EVF or OVF, it's the ability to deliver the sort of images I want and usability (not messing up with complex distracting menus, e.g I prefer direct access). I don't believe in selecting a camera just because it's got an OVF, I think for Pentax to remain relevant in the market they must keep up with state of the art imaging technology and still provide great usability. So far, the biggest risk for Pentax is to lag behind in imaging tech. (as of 2021, Pentax K1 guts being D800 old tech with 33 AF point, completely outdated , problem is not the OVF, it's something else).
That is one point of view. And it is valid as this is what is interesting you. But on the other side there are people for whom OVF may be a valid and important selling point no matter the guts. K-1 still sells and there are still new users to Pentax system despite it being largely outdated when comparing spec sheets.

Lots of people who are not interested in high-res and huge prints photography do not look at the sensor resolution or on the AF, but rather aesthetic of delivered images and the process itself (just photographing for fun). Pentax promotes, more or less, in camera PP and/or JPG shooting and for their main market it seems to work. Just take a look at the article about Pentax meeting when Sasaki and Hanawa(?) talked about profiles and which one to choose for which scenes.

Issue is that Pentax seemingly has lots of issues (or is unwilling too) promote this style of taking photos outside of Japan. Which leads to the problem of Pentax way of doing things is here not understood and ridiculed.

Still, your points are valid, even with different approach Pentax should stay somewhere around modern specs. Not necessarily top notch, but adequate. But if you are looking for high-res photography I somehow doubt Pentax will deliver expected upgrades for you.
12-29-2021, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Canon made a decision. Pentax has no choice other than sticking to dslr. I prefer optical finders and can live with mirrors.
12-29-2021, 01:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Canon really needs to flesh out their RF lens line before abandoning the old line, because at present there are very expensive top-line and budget bottom-line choices, but the stuff in the middle that sold to users in their thousands is hardly to be seen.
12-29-2021, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Canon's Chairman and CEO Fujio Mitarai: ?EOS-1D X Mark III is our last DSLR? - Y.M.Cinema - News & Insights on Digital Cinema

---------- Post added 12-29-21 at 11:22 ----------

+ some Nikon rumors :

Less competion? Of course not. I am afraid Ricoh/Pentax will be in the books as an old fashioned camera manufacturer that is out of touch with time. On the other hand, as Nikon might go the way of the high-end professional (FF?) DSLR, than maybe, a very very long maybe, Ricoh/Pentax might be able to cater for the amateur photographer who likes to stare through an optical viewfinder at his or hers subject.