Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Ryerson College (University) Photographic Arts program which provided no education into the science of the cameras, just the artistic side
I wish... they made me take lens design. We also had a commercial studio class, that was pretty much all commercial type assignments and we ran a portrait studio. Where did you ever get that idea? If I understand correctly, there was staff and direction turnover after I left. Maybe the new guys just did arts but certainly not when I was there. I can't remember a single class directed specifically at arts. It was all commercial.

You must have been a Sheridan Grad.

Only a Sheridan grad would believe such mis-information. Most of my instructors held masters from that terrible school, at RIT. Although I doubt anyone from Sheridan knows anything about RIT. They all think SHeridan is the be all and end all of Photography, even though it's a community college.

By the way, it was never Ryerson College, it was Ryerson Politechnical.

Last edited by normhead; 12-30-2021 at 01:05 PM.
12-30-2021, 11:05 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I've had good results from The Camera Store in Calgary and Don's Photo
Yes, I've ordered a couple of lenses from The Camera Store, and visited their store while in Calgary.

As for Don's, when visiting family in Winnipeg, I would always pop into their store on North Main or their main store on Portage. They were very helpful when I was looking for a decent tripod system; the Sirui N-2204 I bought there is still going strong. Glad to hear that they are still in business.

- Craig
12-30-2021, 11:29 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They opened their Regina store in the late 1980s and by happenstance hired a guy named Don to manage it. I've done slmoat all my photo related shopping there since they opened. Don retired a couple of years ago, the present manager is a huge fan of the Pentax brand.
They seem to have overcome their difficulties, I was concerned for a while that they were going to be a casualty of the times.
I didn't think they would overcome their financial difficulties , for awhile. I was surprised and pleased that they seem to have done so.

I recall talking to one of their building managers (they had 3 shops in the 'Peg at the time) and he said the Cell Phone camera was killing them. They, like other photo shops had relied on point and shoots for many a year and the Cell camera wiped that market out.

I bought a number of Pentax lenses and bodies from them in the digital age. Last lens was a Sigma (my one and only) PK mount 150-500 mm lens. I've been quite happy with this lens. I attach it to either my K5 or K10D ASP-C...mostly K5...for longer 'reach'...than I would get with my FF K1.

I also bought a few Takumar bayonet mount lenses and my Mamiya 220 Pro F, TLR, back in the '80's. Also my all time favourite lens...the 35-105 Macro Zoom, which I still have and use on occasion..

A few years ago, they shut down one of their stores...the one near me..drat...but have kept their downtown store and Main street store, open.

Last time I was in their Main street store, I bought a used lens hood -FD 50 F 1.8 lens- for my old Canon F-1 . It is the kind of place where they have some boxes of old stuff, that guys like me need or want.
12-30-2021, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #34
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been dealing with Downtown Camera since 1975. Until a few years ago they carried most, if not all, of the line of Pentax cameras and lenses. I don't recall ever having to order a camera body or lens I wanted, even back in the film days. Whatever I wanted was in stock, except possibly for the 2.8 shift lens I bought back in the 80's. That is now all changed. I just spoke with the salesman who sold me most of my digital Pentax equipment. They now carry a small limited amount of stock. He quickly found the price of the lens the OP wanted, but no stock. He is well aware of the quality of Pentax equipment, but many (maybe most?) of their customers have never heard of Pentax. I think it comes down to Ricoh not doing much in the way of advertising. Pentax is becoming the digital Alpa, but hopefully not ending up like them.

12-30-2021, 06:50 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I wish... they made me take lens design. We also had a commercial studio class, that was pretty much all commercial type assignments and we ran a portrait studio. Where did you ever get that idea? If I understand correctly, there was staff and direction turnover after I left. Maybe the new guys just did arts but certainly not when I was there. I can't remember a single class directed specifically at arts. It was all commercial.

You must have been a Sheridan Grad.

Only a Sheridan grad would believe such mis-information. Most of my instructors held masters from that terrible school, at RIT. Although I doubt anyone from Sheridan knows anything about RIT. They all think SHeridan is the be all and end all of Photography, even though it's a community college.

By the way, it was never Ryerson College, it was Ryerson Politechnical.
The year was 1978. Correct not College, actually Ryerson Polytechnical Institute , or as other students called it, Rye High. Then 2002 Ryerson Polytechnic University, and now Ryerson University.
Was interviewed by 3 staff members, had to bring a portfolio, discuss the photos, answer questions, and then you waited to see if you were accepted to photographic arts. Got in, and knocked on the teachers lounge door. As luck would have it, one of the staff that interviewed me answered the door. I asked if there was a detailed outline of the courses as I could not find anything technical- the science of cameras, lenses, commercial darkroom, the business of photography. I still remember the answer: No, this is the art of photography. I also asked about photojournalism…he remarked that I should be prepared to work on a small local newspaper for $50 a photo…if lucky once every 2 weeks! His one piece of advice was that I should keep photography as a hobby. Interviewed later at Kodak Canada and was kindly counselled that Kodak at that time was moving most work to…Japan! Talk about aging myself.

Hopefully you graduated much later because that would explain the discrepancy. But I still remember around 2007, went on vacation, went to Blacks Camera to make quite a few prints (not many choices on those days) . Every younger staff member was a graduate of Ryerson, same at many of their other store locations.
12-30-2021, 08:19 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
The year was 1978. Correct not College, actually Ryerson Polytechnical Institute , or as other students called it, Rye High. Then 2002 Ryerson Polytechnic University, and now Ryerson University.
Was interviewed by 3 staff members, had to bring a portfolio, discuss the photos, answer questions, and then you waited to see if you were accepted to photographic arts. Got in, and knocked on the teachers lounge door. As luck would have it, one of the staff that interviewed me answered the door. I asked if there was a detailed outline of the courses as I could not find anything technical- the science of cameras, lenses, commercial darkroom, the business of photography. I still remember the answer: No, this is the art of photography. I also asked about photojournalism…he remarked that I should be prepared to work on a small local newspaper for $50 a photo…if lucky once every 2 weeks! His one piece of advice was that I should keep photography as a hobby. Interviewed later at Kodak Canada and was kindly counselled that Kodak at that time was moving most work to…Japan! Talk about aging myself.

Hopefully you graduated much later because that would explain the discrepancy. But I still remember around 2007, went on vacation, went to Blacks Camera to make quite a few prints (not many choices on those days) . Every younger staff member was a graduate of Ryerson, same at many of their other store locations.
I was there for 1 year in 1967. I know the staff changed, because Eddie1969 was there few years after me and knew none of my instructors.

I think they got into the whole "we're going to be a univeristy thing."
12-31-2021, 07:34 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’ve already added my “bricks and mortar” store endorsement - I don’t know if I’d buy a current lense online …
For “vintage” lenses though, there are a couple of excellent ebay vendors in Japan that I’ve bought K, M and A series lenses from (also an excellent Tamrom 500mm reflex) - when they say “mint”, “near mint” or “clean glass” they mean it!

01-01-2022, 04:57 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I was there for 1 year in 1967. I know the staff changed, because Eddie1969 was there few years after me and knew none of my instructors.

I think they got into the whole "we're going to be a univeristy thing."
Now that explains things! My understanding from one of the instructors was that the course was designed (or redesigned) to be the “Art” of photography , not the practical side, or as he said to me, that was the only non-practical course that would likely not lead to any job prospects. At least he was upfront with me, same for the gentleman at Kodak. Regards, David