Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2021, 02:44 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I went into London Drugs in Duncan, B.C. near where I live. I asked the Camera guy if they had any Pentax gear. He said, 'Uh, is that even a camera brand?' I said, 'Ricoh'? He just shook his head. I've always supported London Drugs, but...?

12-29-2021, 03:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
To be fair, I do buy some stuff from my local Henry's, which is a 20-minute walk from my house. The staff is generally pleasant and positive; I've overheard them providing pretty reasonable advice to customers, including one recommendation of a lower-priced camera over a high-end model. They're my go-to place for accessories such as filters, bags, straps, cleaners, etc.

Anyways, there are alternatives in Canada, including real stores in many (most?) of the larger urban centres. None of the several shops in Ottawa stock Pentax, though.

- Craig
I've had the same positive experience with the Henry's in Winnipeg, that c.a.m has had in Ottawa..

I'd say to the OP.... unfortunately you probably got the wrong clerk, who doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable .
12-29-2021, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bleeblee Quote
I went into London Drugs in Duncan, B.C. near where I live. I asked the Camera guy if they had any Pentax gear. He said, 'Uh, is that even a camera brand?' I said, 'Ricoh'? He just shook his head. I've always supported London Drugs, but...?
I bought my Kr at the Tilicum Rd LD in 2010.

I think the general deterioration of service relates more to the shrinking value of the category as more and more purchases go on line. That’s why Camera Canada, McBains, TCS, and Henry’s has dominated the conversation. They do e-comm well.
12-29-2021, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
Also my experience with Vistek...if you're not professional, you have no place in their store. Locally, I think Henry's and Vistek exchange staff to ensure there's that consistent "holier than thou" approach.
Re. vistek.ca...I've only used them for mail order, so no hassles like you guy(s) have had.

12-29-2021, 04:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Here is what I would do…
Call Aden Camera in Toronto, Yonge Street. They sometimes carry a few Ricoh products in stock. Dealt with them a couple of times and sales staff were ok. If not, I would either buy that used one from McBain, if returns allowed, or better still just buy it from Amazon and be done with it.

In the Toronto area, none of the major camera stores care or want to sell Pentax or Ricoh. Some had the GRiii when it came out, now, none. I purchased a K1 the first year it came out. Went to Henrys and asked if I could see one…nope. Had to order it, I think I put a deposit on it. Had to check on it for pick up because no one called me. I think I posted this b4….at pick up the young sales person had no idea what I was buying, did not understand that I may want to look in the box before checking me out…and it was raining outside- I actually had to request a plastic bag to carry it out! Not impressed. I could be wrong, but I think the closest store that carries Pentax/Ricoh in stock and actually does not try to convince you not to buy one, is BH in NYC. But then decades ago I used to own 3 Lancia’s from the 1980’s, so I am used to “unique” and being abused!
12-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm lucky in that there is a store in St. John's, Newfoundland that doesn't carry Pentax much--mainly the odd lens from time to time (but they do have a selection of necessary Pentax accessories, usually). But no hassles at all. And I know the owner respects Pentax--or at least says he does! :-). Have to get the stuff ordered in, most times, but absolutely no hassles. Once a seasonal employee didn't know about Pentax. But that was the vast exception.

Newfoundland Camera Imaging in Churchill Square.
12-29-2021, 06:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I would also vouch for Camera Canada and The Camera Store (bought from both many times the last few years) - both seem to stock many Pentax products rather than rely on special order. I used to shop at Henrys and Downtown Camera in the 2000s, but lately, more Pentax products are on special order only (but they carry a solid range of other accessories such as tripods and bags).

As much as I hate to say it, Amazon.ca is one of the more reliable suppliers of Pentax products, and I also buy from them. When possible, I order from the two aforementioned Canadian businesses and ship to BC so that only GST is added to the bill because they don't have a significant presence in that province.

12-29-2021, 07:00 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really think some of the “help”’ in some stores is the reason they end up out of business. Their attitude drives many potential customers away. Especially when they start rumors about a company to try to steer a customer from it. That is usually a product of poor sales techniques and poor product knowledge. I would much rather talk to someone who admits he has little knowledge, but would still like to help you, than the self proclaimed expert that proved his lack of knowledge early in the exchange.
12-29-2021, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I really think some of the “help”’ in some stores is the reason they end up out of business. Their attitude drives many potential customers away. Especially when they start rumors about a company to try to steer a customer from it. That is usually a product of poor sales techniques and poor product knowledge. I would much rather talk to someone who admits he has little knowledge, but would still like to help you, than the self proclaimed expert that proved his lack of knowledge early in the exchange.
In Toronto, many years ago, but it may be the same, the sales help were mainly graduates of Ryerson College (University) Photographic Arts program which provided no education into the science of the cameras, just the artistic side. The others may just be trained from off the street. And a few are actually amateurs or semi-pro. But it does not matter, because you can bet there are no big discounts, kickbacks (legal ones), camera bundles, from Ricoh. The profit level per unit may also be lower on Ricoh and the units sold will also be lower than the other major companies. So the sales staff likely have no interest in promoting Ricoh/Pentax. Its a shame, but likely true. For instance, when I went to a major Toronto store a few years ago I explained to them that I was going on vacation and was looking for a pocketable type camera. I mentioned that I mainly use DSLR's. Not once did they inquire what brands, equipment I use, and that I may not enjoy a $1000 Sony Rx100 series camera (viewfinder, menu selection, etc). Used it once then traded it privately. On the other hand, I had an Audi salesperson that had a used Audi TTS convertible and knew all about it, and knew exactly what it would be like going from my previous sportscar. Some care, some do not. In the world of camera sales it is getting harder to find the former. Just my experiences.

Last edited by VSTAR; 12-30-2021 at 06:31 PM.
12-29-2021, 07:54 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GordZ Quote
Also said Richo/Pentax is a bad probably non existent company.
At least they knew about Pentax. Before I bought my K1, I went to my local camera dealer and inquired about it. One guy had not heard of Pentax at all! Another guy whom I have known from my Boston days some 25 or so years ago, knew about Pentax but was not too crazy about doing anything with the brand. I doubt if any other sales people in the store knew about the brand either. I ended up ordering it from B&H in New York. It is a shame that an icon of photography industry is almost forgotten. I had a few conversations with Pentax execs and suggested they consider Tamron style road shows. That was almost four years before covid hit. Tamron has had a lot of success with the road shows and has been able to get noticed in photography circles and colleges with photography programs in particular. Needless to say the suggestions were completely ignored by Pentax!

Last edited by btnapa; 01-12-2022 at 12:52 PM.
12-30-2021, 06:58 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks,
I'll contact Camera Canada in London and keep enjoying my KP with a new lens.
Gord
12-30-2021, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

I was a life long Henry's fan. When I was at Ryerson in Photo Arts I used to walk over to their main store during my lunch, to sometimes buy magazines or old glass. That would be in 1967. However, I think the last lens I bought there was my DA*60-250, in ~2012. Since then Camera Canada has been my preferred Pentax dealer.

There were a few reason for that. Three times Henry's shipped me defective product that I would never have taken out of the store. They have an outlet somewhere near St. Catherines. I used to go and look for things. The last time I went, I asked where the Pentax stuff was. The employee said, a Henry's truck turned up one day and scooped up everything Pentax. He didn't know why. I know they had sold 5, probably 10 K-1s in the last month. So it was a head scratcher.

IN any case, regardless of staff, and there are fewer and fewer who know Pentax all the time, head office has decided to dump Pentax in then flesh and provide a mail order service with no in store stock. That makes them no different than any other on-line retailer, for Pentax shooters. I prefer to use those dealers for whom Pentax is still an in store presence. Actually it makes them worse, because they depend on Ricoh Canada. It can work like this, you order and give them your credit card number, they order from Ricoh. If Ricoh comes back and says they have no stock, your order goes unfilled. But they don't tell you the at the time of order. This practice caused me to miss out in a DA 15 once. I prefer to deal with a company that keeps enough stock on hand to honour advertised specials. I actually believe it's illegal to do what Henry's (and sometimes Aden) do. They are required by law in Canada to have stock of advertised sale items.

And I certainly don't want to encourage this kind of corporate criminality.

Last edited by normhead; 12-30-2021 at 07:37 AM.
12-30-2021, 09:04 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GordZ Quote
Thanks,
I'll contact Camera Canada in London and keep enjoying my KP with a new lens.
Gord
As well as them, I've had good results from The Camera Store in Calgary and Don's Photo (they have half a dozen locations in Western Canada.
12-30-2021, 09:17 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
As well as them, I've had good results from The Camera Store in Calgary and Don's Photo (they have half a dozen locations in Western Canada.
I used to deal with Don...of Don's Photo, back in the '80's. He was a great guy, extremely knowledgeable. They are based here.
12-30-2021, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I used to deal with Don...of Don's Photo, back in the '80's. He was a great guy, extremely knowledgeable. They are based here.
They opened their Regina store in the late 1980s and by happenstance hired a guy named Don to manage it. I've done slmoat all my photo related shopping there since they opened. Don retired a couple of years ago, the present manager is a huge fan of the Pentax brand.
They seem to have overcome their difficulties, I was concerned for a while that they were going to be a casualty of the times.