Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2022, 11:14 AM   #31
Pentaxian

K1(ii) was my last SLR
K3iii will be my next SLR
K das xyz may be my future SLR

01-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Let's see the discussion in another brands group 10 or 11 years ago was .... DSLR's are dead because Olympus quit the dslr market and was only going to produce mirrorless cameras...... And now here we go again because of what Canon has stated...... Shades of chicken little perhaps. Me I could care less, I'm keeping what Dslr I have until either they or I drop dead.
01-04-2022, 12:11 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Canon dumped the FD mount - lessee - more’n 34 years ago and some people are still really sore??? Gosh.
01-04-2022, 12:34 PM - 6 Likes   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Canon dumped the FD mount - lessee - more’n 34 years ago and some people are still really sore??? Gosh.
For some reason that made me think of one of my (many) favourite Gary Larson cartoons...

01-04-2022, 12:35 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutely. Because of how and why and the difference when compared to how other companies approached the same challenges.

---------- Post added 01-04-22 at 02:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
For some reason that made me think of one of my (many) favourite Gary Larson cartoons...
A fav of mine too.

---------- Post added 01-04-22 at 02:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A fav of mine too.
01-04-2022, 12:48 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Absolutely.

I don't suppose it hasn't occurred to the sore folk that that decision was made by people long retired and probably now dead?
01-04-2022, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Makes sense - after all, Nikon are making increasingly DSLR-like MILCs and Canon are working on increasingly OVF-like EVFs - - DSLRs are definitely something nobody wants...

01-04-2022, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

This isn't Pentax news and the title is flame.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 01-06-2022 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Removed reference to deleted post
01-05-2022, 04:25 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
History tells us what Canon will be looking at doing.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - George Santayana
01-05-2022, 05:07 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That is of the reasons I won’t shoot Canon. At least Nikon waited until mirrorless and they offered a full function adapter. In the FD to EF transition there was no way to continue using the old glass as it wasn’t possible to adapt without a teleconverter type adapter.
In 1995 I had been using Pentax for sixteen years then, and I ‘fell in love’ with the Canon EF/usm system, so I did eventually get an “EOS Elan” system. I used Canon for twenty years; I had to be let down by two Rebels in a row - neither worked at all {a number of ‘Pentaxians’ have threatened to leave Pentax after just one camera with the “Dark Image Syndrome”, and it leaves the camera still able to capture photos}. I believe it was during that time that Canon became a really major ‘player’ and Pentax became a “are they still in business?”}. I hear lots of complaints of ‘gaps’ in Pentax prime lenses; surely a Canon user could make no such complaint. Looking at the future, all of those Canon lenses are fully usable on modern MILCs - I know that is not true of Nikon, since many of their legacy lenses depend on getting auto-focus movement from the body ….. and Pentax would have even more problems because of the a-for-mentioned ‘gap’. I would definitely prefer to be a Canon user if lenses were all that one was considering.

added note: If Pentax had followed roughly the same path as Canon did, “DIS” would not be an issue, because they would have many years of KAF4 lenses to use on those cameras, and those lenses would be fully useable on those cameras.

Last edited by reh321; 01-05-2022 at 05:18 AM.
01-05-2022, 05:29 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
added note: If Pentax had followed roughly the same path as Canon did, “DIS” would not be an issue, because they would have many years of KAF4 lenses to use on those cameras, and those lenses would be fully useable on those cameras.
"If!"
If Pentax continued what they started with the K10D and the DA* lines, they'd have introduced KAF4 and ring-type SDM lenses much earlier - and the lens situation would've been much better. Lens development basically stopped in 2008.
01-05-2022, 07:27 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

Dumped is the key word. What is the reasonable time frame for being suspicious of a company that duped their user base and then kicked them to the curb?

If you don't learn from history, you will repeat it.

---------- Post added Jan 5th, 2022 at 08:33 AM ----------

I don't suppose it hasn't occurred to the sore folk that that decision was made by people long retired and probably now dead?
Corporations love people who choose to disregard past transgressions because they are such easy marks.
01-05-2022, 08:08 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If too many EF users just buy an RF body and an adapter for their EF lenses, Canon will have to look at forcing people to buy RF lenses.
There are three kinds of RF-body customer: those with no RF lenses, those who mix EF and RF, and those with only RF.

· For EF users who just buy an RF body and no RF lenses, does anyone honestly think that by being forced out they'll buy RF lenses? No. They'll buy a Sony with EF/E adapter for 10% of the expense and 99% of the functionality.

· For people who use older EF lenses but also buy a couple RF lenses, Canon gains nothing from forcing them out, because they risk pissing them off and they are anyway already buying lenses. In fact, long-term the chances are they'll buy more RF lenses instead of EF lenses.

· The third group would obviously not have an impact.

You don't stimulate lens sales by blocking users from using their gear. You do that by making the new lenses much better than the prior ones. EF lenses had AF when FD didn't, which was enough of a break to make the gamble worth taking. RF has no such advantage - so Canon can't afford to kill the adapter this time. I'd argue that their lens release strategy has been focused on nudging people to "hey, this cool and expensive RF lens has no EF equivalent". Sure, they are halo products, which makes them irrelevant for most users... but most users don't want to adapt in the first place, either.

Besides, CIPA data shows that the ratio of lens:body sales keeps going up since the RF and Z systems came out, so obviously people are buying new stuff.
01-05-2022, 08:22 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think there is any way that Canon discontinues their EF to R adapter. I do think that what they will do over the coming years is discontinue EF lenses. That will mean that as people's lenses break, there will be no parts to fix them. Every maker does this to some extent -- if you own a FA *600 or some other discontinued lens, you may have trouble getting it repaired due to a lack of parts.

This will be a slow process, but I doubt that if you are the owner of an L EOS mount lens, that you will be able to get it tuned up or repaired in 10 or 12 years time.
01-05-2022, 08:32 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To Canons defense they had no choice but to discontinue the FD mount. It was awful, had the smallest diameter and no room for electrical contacts except for outside the mount (not ideal).
They released the biggest flop in SLR history with the AF Canon T80. It was released after the Minolta 7000, was completely automatic (program modes chosen from pictograms) - no manual mode, no finder readout or any other readout of aperture and shutter speed. They made an issue that the camera had none of those confusing numbers displayed. Obviously, Canon thought that AF was for snapshooters only.
They were completely taken by surprise by Minolta (Minolta effectively killed off the concept and marketability of the Canon T90 as well - it got a short life span) and had no choice but to do radical changes and completely reassess their approach to SLR's.