Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2022, 01:11 PM - 2 Likes   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography will probably never die. If it does die it will be because no one has a film or digital camera or cell phone or any other means to capture a scene other than pen/pencil and paper or paint and brushes. To me photography is a form of art just as cave drawings made by ancient man can be considered art. The discussion of using computers to post process or adjusting the exposure of a print made from film has no real impact on the life or death of photography, it will not stop photography if it is no longer a possible tool. People will always want to have a way to capture and preserve a scene whether it be liked or disliked by others. In my opinion, photography will never die!

01-19-2022, 01:33 PM - 2 Likes   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filmmaster Quote
Its not the matter that they use a computer program to make a double exposure,
You can not double the exposure via the computer , you can alter the image lightness after the fact.

But the fact that they could not do it WITHOUT the program.
Most great photographers that use digital and film used the camera to capture the best IQ for best latitude in post production work, as with film and digital the best exposure can be subjective. Are you shooting raw then this exposure can vary greatly over what the camera metering system will tell you and how the image will appear both in the camera's histogram and rear display.

The before is not the greatest, but at least it doesnt look as if its over exposed and blown out like the after photo.. If the after photo appeared on my nikon, id look at the exif data, hit delete and adjust the shutter and aperture a bit.
The setting selected by the photographer was more than likely selected based on latitude in post processing, this was also very common with film. Based on the scene and the contrast of the scene I most of the time ignore the REI as it was only the recommended exposure for that film.

Also depending on the film and if it is already pushed like most 3200 it was not too uncommon that I would use it at 1000-800
01-19-2022, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
At the risk of derailing the thread...
No... Please do.
01-19-2022, 01:50 PM   #139
Pentaxian

person in shadow... hmmm the brown book of photograph making, says take the light meter reading on the subject then give two stops of extra exposure,,, ie if the before photo was f/11 @250 drop the shutter down to 1/60
Again depending on how the images are being recorded raw, jpg or tiff the exposure you are selection can vary greatly, this then can influence what would be the optimum exposure. I hear this use of term proper exposure and most of the time most cannot tell me what is the correct exposure, here a hint its subjective, the equipment being used, and the medium recording the light data.

01-19-2022, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Music is dead because of digital manipulation. Or maybe hip-hop. Or was it the wax cylinder?

To avoid seeing karma running over dogma, I’ll step away from the scene of the collision.
01-19-2022, 11:33 PM - 3 Likes   #141

Richardefotf
11:27 PM (3 minutes ago)

to noreply

I have been hearing this rant for decades from all the Luddites who say that photography isn't what it used to be; that photography is being taken over by people who only want to use their phones cameras and/or those who say that no one wants to know about the "art' of photography, but only the quick responses of social media. I've been shooting for over seventy years and every generation has had its naysayers and whiners. There are more people making images now than there were ten or fifteen years ago! Photography is not dead! It is evolving! It's changing into a new and exciting adventure for a whole new generation who have all new kinds of great technology. We, who are the oldtimers, can still teach the newbies a great deal about photography if we don't allow our negativity and our "old fogeyism" to destroy the bond of common goals found in photography. If we do, then the problem is ours, not theirs. The fault is certainly not to be laid at the feet of photography. Photography is not dead but the people making pictures look different and act differently. For Pete's sake people, they still want to make images and share them. They don't have albums, they have social media! They don't have large cameras with even larger lenses! They have phone cameras, pocket cameras, and video units of all sizes! That is the future of photography! I still teach the young photographers about composition, light, and tricks that they have never heard about! All you have to do is pack up your presuppositions about photography and get out there with some of these young, excited, and very enthusiastic photographers. They'll add a whole new perspective to your image-making! In fact, if you're brave enough, they'll change your whole outlook! They might even teach you a thing or two!

Last edited by Richardefotf; 01-20-2022 at 03:21 PM.
01-20-2022, 08:17 AM   #142
Pentaxian

Most of the people claiming Photography is dead will die long before photography does.
It's conundrum. For those who claim photography is dead , is it PC to say "You'll die long before photography dies."

01-20-2022, 11:01 AM   #143
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Most of the people claiming Photography is dead will die long before photography does.
It's conundrum. For those who claim photography is dead , is it PC to say "You'll die long before photography dies."
Care to share how that photo montage to create the guy in a green suit is called photography?

Have seen alot of youtube experts, and online photo magazine websites saying that type of thing is the new mandatory way to "stay relevant" for a photographer.

Its not photography, sure each image was made on its own, but the combining of them is lazy and not so pleasing. But if the person who did that editing work, has the skills to do that in a computer, why dont they have the basic skill of finding a person, with a green suit, and then posing them in the real world..

THAT is photographic skill.
01-20-2022, 11:07 AM - 2 Likes   #144
Pentaxian

Have seen alot of youtube experts, and online photo magazine websites saying that type of thing is the new mandatory way to "stay relevant" for a photographer.
Why do you read those dudes? Any fool on the internet can say anything they want.
And for people who have the inclination to do that kind of work, how does it affect my enjoyment of photography? I don't pay attention to them, I don't do it myself. Others can do whatever they want, it's a free country.

It's like that old joke.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Don't do that."
This is a problem of your own creation.
01-20-2022, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #145
Loyal Site Supporter

My suggestion?...Give it up. You are fixed in your definition. You remind me of my father saying that Beatles-era rock "wasn't 'real' music" or like some of my generation saying the same exact thing about hip-hop-type sounds. Or the "a child could make sellable modern art" crowd.

You don't like it? Fine. Don't. Your choice. Just don't expect anyone else who has followed different paths or is blazing new ones to care.

Bye.
01-20-2022, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #146
Pentaxian

Care to share how that photo montage to create the guy in a green suit is called photography?

Its not photography, sure each image was made on its own, but the combining of them is lazy and not so pleasing. But if the person who did that editing work, has the skills to do that in a computer, why dont they have the basic skill of finding a person, with a green suit, and then posing them in the real world..

THAT is photographic skill.
Cite any art form, and I can find plenty of instances of bad work, or maybe it's good work that simply doesn't match what I like.

The green suit photo your are talking about is more what I consider "digital art" than "photography". It started with a photo but was heavily processed to become something else. It took skill to do that, regardless of whether you like or don't like the result. Learning how to do that isn't lazy, it's just a different way to do things.

You are acting as if you are the sole arbiter of taste and skill. Explaining what you like and don't like is fine. That's not what you are doing in this thread, though.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 01-20-2022 at 11:07 PM.
01-21-2022, 01:23 AM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stop this useless discussion about esthetic taste.. Dont fall in the trap where my taste is good and all others are crap.
Reliable auto functions are good if they are handled by a reflecting brain, the more options you have - the more discipline is needed. Many lacks that discipline, but that is not the fault of the camera or photoshop.
In the past we had to accept the color rendition and contrasts of the single film. today we have the possibility to adjust these values ourselves. That's maybe the biggest advantage of digital photography.
01-21-2022, 06:04 AM - 5 Likes   #148
Closed Account

Folks, it's time to put this thread out of its misery. Nothing is being achieved now.

closed
Closed Thread