Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2022, 10:50 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shupienis Quote
Cameras are tools, not a definition of who we are.
That is a wrong assumption. The camera defines who we are first and that it is a tool comes second. People want to be seen with a Canon / Nikon with a huge lens if possible. It even defines us here at this forum, we are Pentaxians and we are proud of it. We are the odd ones... that is how our camera defines us. Your car, your house and all your possessions that you love to show to others. For one it is their Leica and for the other the new DFA 21mm Ltd (which is then proudly published on this forum) .

01-27-2022, 11:07 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shupienis Quote
1. Cameras are tools, not a definition of who we are.
I have to disagree. A camera is a toy for me. It is mainly there to create joy for me. And this joy is only partially derived from the outcome. At least half of the joy is in the process of using the camera (and later steps). It is a fun hobby after all.

My smartphone is a tool. I use its camera as a tool. No emotions attached. Tools I only use as long as absolutely needed to achieve some outcome.

And I very, very rarely read posts on the internet forums which leave the impression that the author actually discusses a tool.
Well sometimes it seems to be about medical tools for extending certain bodyparts... But then this is also a typical sign of male teenagers discussing toys.

I think the "tool" naming is just there to make it all sound more "grown-up".
Old men do not play with their camera toys, no no no. They machinegun with they new "tools" at running dogs and boring flying birds and create elaborate statistics of AF-hits in photos nobody wants to see.
That is super serious and a must-have. That is professional. That can not be discussed.

If we pay rip-off prices of thousands of dollars we at least deserve to have "pro" equipment. Admitting it's all toys in the shelves doesnt sounds so great.

If I ever start seeing my photo stuff as "tools", I will sell it - and buy other toys.

And as a fun benchmark test to all: Go ask your wives if they consider your cameras and lens collections to be more of a "toy" or a "tool" for you. Sometimes those people outside our own skins have a much better grasp of reality and proper terms for things.
01-27-2022, 11:26 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's no discussion here for me. I'll buy a mirrorless when it's my only choice. And that isn't on the horizon.

QuoteQuote:
Oh, and the DSLR isn’t dead!

CIPA’s raw data goes into more detail about camera types, and we learn that DSLRs are not dead sin the water after all. From January to April 2021, some 823,462 DSLRs were shipped worldwide, as opposed to 1,041,845 mirrorless cameras. Mirrorless cameras have certainly taken the lead, but DSLR sales remain stronger than many might have imagined

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/latest-cipa-figures-show-camera-sale...g-back-in-2021

So it's not happening anytime soon.

The next person who says DSLRs are dead
deserves a slap upside the head.

That's Head poetry....

Last edited by normhead; 01-27-2022 at 12:07 PM.
01-27-2022, 11:33 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Go ask your wives if they consider your cameras and lens collections to be more of a "toy" or a "tool" for you. Sometimes those people outside our own skins have a much better grasp of reality and proper terms for things.
My dear wife gently reminds me sometimes that the purpose of photography is not to collect lenses.

On the other hand, the tools in my workshop are exactly that -- tools. Sometimes I pay a bit more money to get a higher-quality tool, but they work well and last a long time.

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
For one it is their Leica and for the other the new DFA 21mm Ltd (which is then proudly published on this forum)
Members here are often 'congratulated' when they mention their new lens or camera, as if the recent acquisition marks a personal achievement.

- Craig

01-27-2022, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
My dear wife gently reminds me sometimes that the purpose of photography is not to collect lenses.

On the other hand, the tools in my workshop are exactly that -- tools. Sometimes I pay a bit more money to get a higher-quality tool, but they work well and last a long time.

Members here are often 'congratulated' when they mention their new lens or camera, as if the recent acquisition marks a personal achievement.

- Craig
For dudes like myself living on a modest retirement income, it is. It takes a lot of planning and saving.

My wife takes out my new lenses within days of arrival, and if she like them, they become her new lens.
01-27-2022, 11:48 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For dudes like myself living on a modest retirement income, it is. It takes a lot of planning and saving.
Exactly. So for many of us, being able to purchase relatively pricey items reflects an achievement of sorts. So, it sort of reflects a personal goal. A camera or lens might also be seen as a 'tool' with which we can achieve our photographic goals.

- Craig
01-31-2022, 06:39 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is a wrong assumption. The camera defines who we are first and that it is a tool comes second. People want to be seen with a Canon / Nikon with a huge lens if possible. It even defines us here at this forum, we are Pentaxians and we are proud of it. We are the odd ones... that is how our camera defines us. Your car, your house and all your possessions that you love to show to others.
I'm not defined by my possessions. I would still be the same person standing alone, with only my skin, in the middle of a forest. Colder, but still the same.

One can enjoy his possessions without being defined by them.

01-31-2022, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'm not defined by my possessions. I would still be the same person standing alone, with only my skin, in the middle of a forest. Colder, but still the same.

One can enjoy his possessions without being defined by them.
So why that long list of your camera's, lenses and flashes? Isn't that showing off? Let us agree that we differ on this subject.
02-01-2022, 06:27 AM   #24
Pentaxian

So why that long list of your camera's, lenses and flashes? Isn't that showing off? Let us agree that we differ on this subject.
See my last sentence. "Enjoying" and "being defined by" are different things.
02-01-2022, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Some people simply cannot comprehend the concept of enjoyment of simple things. Because they can't do it themselves, they claim anyone who does it is lying.

It's called materialism.
02-01-2022, 07:05 AM   #26
Pentaxian

You can enjoy being defined by your possessions!
02-01-2022, 07:45 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

You can enjoy being defined by your possessions!
You can also be driven to depression and other mental health issues.
02-01-2022, 08:09 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always thought the equipment lists were just a way of letting other people on the Forum know what lenses and gear you have experience with. It's like your doctor listing Board certifications or things like that.

If the only lenses you can compare a current lens to are lenses from the FA-J series, then while your opinion is still valid, maybe it doesn't bear as much weight as someone whose experience and lenses more closely mirror mine.

The reviews on the FA 50 f1.4 are pretty good on the Forum, but I also think for a long time that was the first prime that people purchase and as such they were often comparing it to the kit lens.
02-01-2022, 08:50 AM   #29

That is a wrong assumption. The camera defines who we are first and that it is a tool comes second. People want to be seen with a Canon / Nikon with a huge lens if possible. It even defines us here at this forum, we are Pentaxians and we are proud of it. We are the odd ones... that is how our camera defines us. Your car, your house and all your possessions that you love to show to others. For one it is their Leica and for the other the new DFA 21mm Ltd (which is then proudly published on this forum) .
Can't agree, my cameras (of various brands including Pentax), my car, library, possesions etc are chosen to meet specfic demands and/or are merely tools used to deliver a satisfying experience. People who allow their possessions to define them are shallow by definition.
02-02-2022, 06:21 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If the only lenses you can compare a current lens to are lenses from the FA-J series, then while your opinion is still valid, maybe it doesn't bear as much weight as someone whose experience and lenses more closely mirror mine.

The reviews on the FA 50 f1.4 are pretty good on the Forum, but I also think for a long time that was the first prime that people purchase and as such they were often comparing it to the kit lens.
I agree, however in my particular case listing the lenses I have extensive experience with would lead to a page-long signature

QuoteOriginally posted by steve bastiman Quote
People who allow their possessions to define them are shallow by definition.
I didn't want to use strong wording, but yeah.