Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2022, 10:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DPRTV: Why we shoot our videos with mirrorless cameras (and not video cameras)

01-29-2022, 05:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m no video guy. But it was entertaining.
01-30-2022, 12:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the reason why DPR uses cameras for video recording and they even need to make a video to talk about it, is the same reason why they review smartphones, drones, but they don't review professional photo printers and not Phase One cameras. The elephant in the room is so large that you can't even see it.
01-30-2022, 03:06 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I quite enjoyed that. Interesting how they prefer in-body image stabilisation over in-lens for video work...

01-30-2022, 03:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whatever they say, I think most of what they do is about gear promotion and sales for their overlords.
01-30-2022, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I quite enjoyed that. Interesting how they prefer in-body image stabilisation over in-lens for video work...
Me, too.

I was struck by the claim that the mirrorless cameras were more durable than the cinema models.

Also, how viewers liked the "look" of an episode filmed on an Oly EM1X, despite being underspecified compared with other cameras DPRTV was using for their episodes.

IMO, this video reinforces "best tool for the job".

Last edited by luftfluss; 01-30-2022 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo
01-30-2022, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Whatever they say, I think most of what they do is about gear promotion and sales for their overlords.
Maybe, but I find that Chris & Jordan's attitudes have not changed since their TCSTV days.

01-30-2022, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Maybe, but I find that Chris & Jordan's attitudes have not changed since their TCSTV days.
I think they’ve evolved a bit. But I don’t think it’s a coordinated effort with intent. I think that subtle shifts in gear they prefer to review have occurred. I don’t think they’re just parroting a party line. Maybe I’m wrong but they seem very careful to avoid bias by brand. They do seem very focused on some features that many Pentax users don’t focus on - so it isn’t surprising that they don’t always connect with our own favorites.
01-30-2022, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exactly.

My son's friend is a well-established fashion photographer and cinematographer, in his late twenties. He produces commercial spots, magazine layouts, etc, in studio and on location, for prominent clients. Seems he's working 8 days a week. For his video work, he 'upgraded' from his MILC to a Canon cinema camera.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-30-2022 at 08:40 AM.
01-30-2022, 08:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think they’ve evolved a bit. But I don’t think it’s a coordinated effort with intent. I think that subtle shifts in gear they prefer to review have occurred. I don’t think they’re just parroting a party line. Maybe I’m wrong but they seem very careful to avoid bias by brand. They do seem very focused on some features that many Pentax users don’t focus on - so it isn’t surprising that they don’t always connect with our own favorites.
You put it better than I did.
01-30-2022, 09:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I think the reason why DPR uses cameras for video recording and they even need to make a video to talk about it, is the same reason why they review smartphones, drones, but they don't review professional photo printers and not Phase One cameras. The elephant in the room is so large that you can't even see it.
Or, they needed to produce content and with Chris testing positive for Covid, they decided to address a subject that is brought up by commenters in many of their videos.

IIRC the only mainstream mirrorless camera they mention by name in this video is from a company that no longer exists.
01-30-2022, 09:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Personally, I don't produce many videos, and when I do I'm quite happy with he 4k of my Lumix ZS100. I mean seriously, video is a different industry. This for me was not worth watching.
01-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Me, too.

I was struck by the claim that the mirrorless cameras were more durable than the cinema models.

Also, how viewers liked the "look" of an episode filmed on an Oly EM1X, despite being underspecified compared with other cameras DPRTV was using for their episodes.

Yeah... it was quite refreshing to hear from a videographer who wasn't totally caught up with the quality of the video from a sensor and processing perspective (bit rate, etc.) and more interested in prioritising a specific performance aspect, i.e. image stabilisation. I'm sure there are plenty more like him, but it drew a parallel for me with us stills photographers who don't necessarily demand every top-flight feature and spec but value our gear based on particular capabilities that suit our personal shooting needs.

I've no room for (and couldn't financially justify) a third system on top of my Pentax K- and Sony A-mount gear, but I confess I'm quite keen on the OM-D E-M1X... not for video work; just as a general-use stills camera. If I did more wildlife / bird photography, I could see myself seriously considering one along with either the 75-300 or 100-400...
01-30-2022, 12:19 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or, they needed to produce content and with Chris testing positive for Covid, they decided to address a subject that is brought up by commenters in many of their videos.

IIRC the only mainstream mirrorless camera they mention by name in this video is from a company that no longer exists.
They mentioned Canon and Olympus. Both exist although the Olympus brand is now owned by a different company.
01-30-2022, 01:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
They mentioned Canon and Olympus. Both exist although the Olympus brand is now owned by a different company.
Actually the Olympus camera brand is gone; it's OM System now.