Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2022, 03:56 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A Considered View of the Upgrade Cycle

Over at Fstoppers, Ivor Rackham clearly expounds on the market saturation dilemma facing the larger camera-makers, and explains why he’s opting for the new OM body in spite of all that.

Here’s the link: To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade: That Is the Question. | Fstoppers

02-27-2022, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, that's a great article written by a reviewer, I'm surprised that they published it. He brings up a lot of good points and is honest about reviews having to nitpick at minor differences.
02-27-2022, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
A Considered View of the Upgrade Cycle
Thanks for the link. I don't usually follow Fstoppers, but this is a refreshing article.

Interestingly, concerning his upgrade to the latest OM-1 camera, the author notes that "...the newest release is a giant leap forward in functionality that will significantly help my photography. That's why I ordered it." The focus on helping one's photography is important, IMO.

- Craig
02-27-2022, 05:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A very well thought out and written article. The Pentax K-70 seems to be the exception from the big 3 for the entry level DSLR, feature-wise. My only wish would be for more advanced autofocus. If Pentax were to come out with a new sub-$1000 DSLR with all the features of a K-70 and the autofocus of the K3 III, I would jump on it.

02-27-2022, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #5

A refreshing viewpoint and it even mentions Pentax.

I think this article is bang on and matches my views.

To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade: That Is the Question. | Fstoppers
02-27-2022, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #6

Covered here in a previous post:

A Considered View of the Upgrade Cycle - PentaxForums.com
02-27-2022, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I very much agree with the sentiment expressed in the article.

Nice to see Pentax cited as a brand with something special to offer.

The author starts the article with, "We are constantly pressured into buying the latest cameras." I wonder... are we? I see folks on online forums say that, but I rarely encounter that pressure, myself. Folks also refer to "mirrorless propaganda", and I don't see that very often, either. I read the reviews from DPR, Imaging-Resource, Cameralabs, etc., as well as a few Youtubers, and I don't feel like the author or presenter is attempting to pressure or persuade me of anything, really.

Is it simply the fact that someone is exhibiting delight or admiration for a new bit o' gear, or demonstrating its features, that I am supposed to be influenced by that person?

02-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a bit misleading to compare the K1000 to modern DSLRS, film technologies changed in small but noticeable ways the 16 year long run the K1000 had in production. DSLRs have the sensor as an integral component of their construction. If we were able to switch out the sensors our cameras to keep up with current sensor design trends most would jump at the chance - but the sensors used in Pentax DSLRS are made by SONYTM and that money would go to them instead of Pentax who designed and developed the camera, It wouldn't be viable.
02-27-2022, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Thank you. As a Moderator, you might consider combining the threads.
02-27-2022, 08:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Thank you. As a Moderator, you might consider combining the threads.
Hey Rob, tell your Bro to delay his swim up here.Its rainy and he might get hit by the houses being washed down the rivers, when they reach the sea.

He is right next to you!
02-27-2022, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Threads merged
02-27-2022, 10:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The article is not good, as it completely ignores photographic needs and customer education. Some customers upgrade because it's "cool", some customers upgrade between the new camera model solve a problem that they have with their current camera system, and problems can change depending what we aim at. The camera industry has no interest in educating customers. That's how most sales of new camera highly correlate with marketing expenditures and there is a huge used market of perfectly functional cameras accumulating dust.
02-27-2022, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

If you meet a photographer outside the internet test review opinion mayhem, this opinion is just obvious. You can buy lenses, filters, tripod, etc instead of only cameras, and go out there and put the gear to use.
02-27-2022, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's how most sales of new camera highly correlate with marketing expenditures and there is a huge used market of perfectly functional cameras accumulating dust.
Most camera Salesmen* I have dealt with are shockingly ignorant of what they are actually selling. The only ones that really know their stuff are the sales reps I have met from Leica, Phase one and Hasselblad. There are a few local camera stores I go to where the staff are more knowledgeable** than the typical electronics retail outlets.

* They had might as well be selling used cars - which is generally accepted to be currently one of the shadiest occupations.
** perhaps they let the less experienced staff out the back when they see me coming, I can't be sure.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-28-2022 at 02:48 AM.
02-28-2022, 12:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Hey Rob, tell your Bro to delay his swim up here.Its rainy and he might get hit by the houses being washed down the rivers, when they reach the sea.

He is right next to you!
One of my daughters in Brisbane has had her ground floor flooded so I guess it'll be me swimming there soon. But thanks for the thought.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The article is not good, as it completely ignores photographic needs and customer education. Some customers upgrade because it's "cool", some customers upgrade between the new camera model solve a problem that they have with their current camera system, and problems can change depending what we aim at. The camera industry has no interest in educating customers. That's how most sales of new camera highly correlate with marketing expenditures and there is a huge used market of perfectly functional cameras accumulating dust.
Interesting how two people can read the same article and come to different views about it. From my reading, the author very much made the point about customer needs, even citing his own. Customer education is another matter, although customers bear the greatest responsibility for their own education, but I agree that many people are just hooked on having the latest, and not just in relation to photo gear. I do think, nonetheless, that the general rise in the price of camera bodies and the move upward in lens specification that also leads to rising prices there will slow down the upgrade cycle.