Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 200 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2022, 08:10 PM - 6 Likes   #46
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I make every effort possible to avoid photographing people. I don't like it and I'm not good at it.
Me too.
My concentration face has been described as concerned or intense or even a little angry looking !!!
I can't help the way I look when I am thinking, so getting people to relax and smile is not something I will ever be able to do.

The one positive I can take from that is, I have saved an absolute fortune on needing to buy top-of-the-range portrait lenses.............

Edit
In my case, the purchase of portrait lenses would definitely be LBA.

Little
Benefit
Actually

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-12-2022 at 11:28 PM.
03-12-2022, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I make every effort possible to avoid photographing people. I don't like it and I'm not good at it. Which is cause and which is effect I have no idea. More than once we've come home from some family event or visit with Mrs. P mad at me because I have no pictures of people.
I'm glad it's not just me. I wish I was different but I just don't have the confidence to do it.
03-13-2022, 12:31 AM - 3 Likes   #48
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Me too.
My concentration face has been described as concerned or intense or even a little angry looking !!!
I can't help the way I look when I am thinking, so getting people to relax and smile is not something I will ever be able to do.

The one positive I can take from that is, I have saved an absolute fortune on needing to buy top-of-the-range portrait lenses.............

Edit
In my case, the purchase of portrait lenses would definitely be LBA.

Little
Benefit
Actually
I have enough trouble convincing Boo Boo my cat to let me take his portrait. People are way out of my league...
03-13-2022, 12:44 PM - 9 Likes   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I have enough trouble convincing Boo Boo my cat to let me take his portrait. People are way out of my league...
Try doing both at the same time:

03-13-2022, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #50
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Try doing both at the same time:
That's an awesome shot, Bill... That you were able to communicate with and convince the cat to keep it's tongue stuck out while you took the shot... wow... just wow

EDIT: At junior school there was a girl in our class who could lick the end of her nose with her tongue (I say "could"... I mean "did"). Thinking back, she didn't seem anything like so cute as the cat...
03-14-2022, 10:00 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

That's an awesome shot, Bill... That you were able to communicate with and convince the cat to keep it's tongue stuck out while you took the shot... wow... just wow

EDIT: At junior school there was a girl in our class who could lick the end of her nose with her tongue (I say "could"... I mean "did"). Thinking back, she didn't seem anything like so cute as the cat...
Thanks Mike. Pentax 6x7, probably the 135 Macro, illumination from a Metz 60 series flash in a 24" softbox in my basement studio.
The cat wandered in during the shoot, the model picked it up and there you are.
That image won me a few awards.
03-15-2022, 04:35 AM - 3 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

A few of my lenses I own in order to get better photos, or at least photos I couldn't get with other lenses. But most of them I own because they exist and are affordable and I like to try new things, especially nice shiny black things that look good on a camera or in my lens drawer.

03-15-2022, 08:33 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I would have LBA if my wife didn't gently and often remind me that I don't need dozens of lenses to take pictures. Well, maybe that means I DO have LBA, but I'm not able to realize it to the fullest because she keeps me in check!
03-15-2022, 08:56 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I think I would have LBA if my wife didn't gently and often remind me that I don't need dozens of lenses to take pictures. Well, maybe that means I DO have LBA, but I'm not able to realize it to the fullest because she keeps me in check!
Where as I tend to get lenses trying to keep my wife happy. She is so picky when it comes to IQ. She doesn't like any of my favourite lenses. Well except for the DA 55-300 PLM and DFA 28-105. We both love those two, which is odd, because she's shooting a K-5ii, and theoretically, neither is designed for her camera.
03-15-2022, 09:10 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Where as I tend to get lenses trying to keep my wife happy. She is so picky when it comes to IQ. She doesn't like any of my favourite lenses. Well except for the DA 55-300 PLM and DFA 28-105. We both love those two, which is odd, because she's shooting a K-5ii, and theoretically, neither is designed for her camera.
I will say you are very blessed to have a wife who shares your photographic interests! I wish mine did, but she likes the results in our photo albums, so at least she validates me with compliments!
03-15-2022, 09:32 AM - 2 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I will say you are very blessed to have a wife who shares your photographic interests! I wish mine did, but she likes the results in our photo albums, so at least she validates me with compliments!
I'm not blessed when we are heading out the door and she grabs the lens I wanted before I do.
I'm seriously considering a second DA 55-300 PLM.
03-15-2022, 04:03 PM - 4 Likes   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For an active photographer who relies on several key lenses over and over again, the financial argument can be clear. It's cheap when they spread their cost over years of enjoyment. For someone who bought a DA*300 back in 2008, they've still got a lens so good at what it does that it's being sent up in space to use from a modern satellite.

For someone buying sought after lenses, they can actually maintain their value over the years. It doesn't have to be a unicorn like the A*135mm f1.8, it can be the FA Limiteds or Star lenses or Takumars ... these are classics. You can sell them later on and perhaps break even as well as end up with all the great photos taken with them in the meantime. You would need patience to sell them because they are of course niche lenses of a niche brand, but let's say you took a $100 loss after eight years, what it really means is that you rented and got to shoot with that lens for just $12 a year.

And then there are those who are really not photographers, but collectors. The sort of person who decides the K-3 isn't good enough for them, they need to be full frame, so they buy some 24Mp Sony thing and shoot exactly the same scene but with 50mm instead of 35mm to get exactly the same picture.

I shrug my shoulders - what's wrong with LBA in their case? I have middle aged friends who have been into way more expensive hobbies - tinkering with cars, boats, wine collections, even shares in a wretched racehorse (the recurring medical fees!). They've spent way more of their family's income than me.

Last edited by clackers; 03-15-2022 at 08:08 PM.
03-15-2022, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
For an active photographer who relies on several key lenses over and over again, the financial argument can be clear. It's cheap when they spread their cost over years of enjoyment. For someone who bought a DA*300 back in 2008, they've still got a lens so good at what it does that it's being sent up in space to use from a modern satellite.

For someone buying sought after lenses, they can actually maintain their value over the years. It doesn't have to be a unicorn like the A*135mm f1.8, it can be the FA Limiteds or Star lenses or Takumars ... these are classics. You can sell them later on and perhaps break even despite all the great photos you take with them in the meantime. You would need patience to sell them because they are of course niche lenses of a niche brand, but let's say you took a $100 loss after eight years, what it really means is that you rented and got to shoot with that lens for just $12 a year.

And then there are those who are really not photographers, but collectors. The sort of person who decides the K-3 isn't good enough for them, they need to be full frame, so they buy some 24Mp Sony thing and shoot exactly the same scene but with 50mm instead of 35mm to get exactly the same picture.

I shrug my shoulders - what's wrong with LBA in their case? I have middle aged friends who have been into way more expensive hobbies - tinkering with cars, boats, wine collections, even shares in a wretched racehorse (the recurring medical fees!). They've spent way more of their family's income than me.
Again the hobbyist only has to justify the expense to him or herself.
While I haven't read the op due to the way the forum blocks work, it sounds like there is some pontificating going on about how hobbyists have no business buying expensive gear because they are amateurs, and amateurs are automatically bad photographers who won't be able to extract the inherent quality out of them.
To which the only logical reply is bollocks.
03-15-2022, 07:46 PM - 3 Likes   #59
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's just screaming for a comment but I'll just shut up and exit stage left.
03-17-2022, 06:01 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For narrow DoF, a fast lens is the only thing that gets you there. DA*55 1.4 at 1.4
That's a really nice and for my uses very good illustration of that lens' bokeh. Wonderful background. I have the Voigtländer 1.4/58mm, but I might be tempted to run a comparison between them one day (pending a 55mm of course). The Pentax has AF, which is helpful, my Nokton on the other hand only cost me € 200. And it's FF.