Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2022, 11:40 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I hate Sony camera body design and user interface, especially for the price they charge, I think it's a shame. The whole camera industry misses the mark for me, they are wrong don't address my personal requirements on so many aspects that I'm not surprise that the camera market is in free fall, and it's not going to stop falling. The way I see it - and based on my own personal measurement criteria - maybe only Canon and Nikon are close to making good camera products both in terms of electronic performance and usability, but they only offer 3:2 mostly FF format, so that's also wrong that doesn't work for me either. Pentax is one of the few companies that puts efforts into camera design, handling and ease of use according to my preferences, but the inner electronic guts are, most of the time, five years or more behind the curve.
Fixed that for you, biz

I'm not buying any other Pentax lens until I see the specs of a new K1 iii released and I have the assurance that it's not having a major design flaw.
So until then you'll rely on nothing but your D-FA15-30, D-FA24-70, D-FA28-105, D-FA70-200, D-FA70-210, D-FA150-450, D-FA 100 macro, D-FA 50 macro, and FA 35 2? But how on earth will you cope?!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-18-2022 at 03:03 AM.
03-17-2022, 11:45 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd like Ricoh to fit A7RIV sensor into a Pentax K1
Just wait, its coming.
03-18-2022, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax will release a sequel to the K-1 and it will be better. I still don't think it will probably hit specs that mirrorless cameras are at currently, but honestly I don't need that.

I do think there is a certain pleasure in buying new gear for a hobby. This isn't just photography. It can be fishing rods, gear for hunting expeditions, camping equipment, or high end cooking items -- or lots of other things. This stuff is sold, partly because the folks that make it communicate the fact that the pros use these items and if you just had the items, you would have the same skills. I think most people realize that isn't quite true, but since they don't have time to invest in learning better skills, they decide they'll try the gear instead.

When it comes to photography, there is a bump in excitement when you purchase a new lens. Suddenly, you shoot everything with that lens and try it out in all sorts of scenarios.

At the same time, if you are looking to truly improve things, you are best off taking a class or investing in a trip with special photography opportunities. Otherwise, you will simply have images with more megapixels that are still just Meh. Your friends may tell you that you "Have a nice camera," but they won't be interested in buying prints, for your High Quality Images won't really be that much better than the ones they get from their phones.
03-18-2022, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So until then you'll rely on nothing but your D-FA15-30, D-FA24-70, D-FA28-105, D-FA70-200, D-FA70-210, D-FA150-450, D-FA 100 macro, D-FA 50 macro, and FA 35 2? But how on earth will you cope?!
When I saw Ursula ban on Luis Vuitton bags and Chanel #5 perfume exports to Russia, I decided to not buy the Pentax D-FA 21 to sanction Ricoh for being late with the Pentax K1 III (I hope Ricoh gets the message). Now, regarding the question about how I cope with my Pentax lenses? I need to see a notary to account my Pentax lenses as capital/assets (like I did for the gold bars I have secretly stored in Switzerland, but please don't tell anyone), and I use a trolley to cope with the weight of those Pentax D-FA lenses, my shoulder bag is definitely too small.

---------- Post added 18-03-22 at 12:11 ----------

And with regards to Tony's N. opinion that we should buy our camera from the leading brand because everyone is doing it, things are never so simple because the small brand may be the one offering camera with features that the big brand doesn't offer.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-18-2022 at 04:01 AM.
03-18-2022, 05:06 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

… ]And with regards to Tony's N. opinion that we should ...
Why should we care? Why do you even care what his opinion might be this week? Live your own life, mate; make your own decisions.
03-18-2022, 05:52 AM - 3 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But if that was part of your process, should you really be giving advice to others, who may not be in the same position? Does having an emotional need to buy something mean you make good decisions?

People who are interested in photography get enjoyment get pleasure from their photos, not the buying part. If you don't get enjoyment from photos, just from buying, how good can your advice be?

It's easy to tell people about the technical aspects of gear, but the ones who are buying for some kind of emotional satisfaction are evaluating in terms that no one else can understand. It's all about "what makes you feel good." And that is not consistent person to person.

I think it would be a lot easier for the photographers here if those involved in emotional purchasing (consumerism) understood how personal (and irrelevant to anyone else) their comments are.

I've made this into a dichotomy for clarity, but in real life it's not. We all enjoy our pictures, we all probably get some emotional satisfaction buying new gear. But it will be tough because in every post we have to decipher, how much is photography? How much is emotional attachment unsupported by much of anything but emotional brand enthusiasm.?
You raise excellent points. We all come to photography with a different mix of needs, interests, and emotions. And in advising (or judging) the decisions of others, the first step is to try to understand why the other person is doing what they are doing.

Some advice can be wrong under almost all conditions. "To remove sensor dust, use a pressure washer" is not a good decision unless it for one of those social media shock videos. Likewise "open the aperture to get everything in focus" is abjectly wrong on technical or scientific grounds. In contrast, almost all the advice about what to buy or use for photography falls into an "it depends" category that requires understanding the recipient's preferences and motivations. For example, normally birding or sports photography requires fast autofocus and long lenses, but if the person's goal is to immerse themselves in an absurdly extreme challenge, then a 4x5 film camera with a wide angle lens may be the better decision.

The different forums, subforums, threads, and discussions on PF let each of us participate in photography in our own ways. In all of these discussions, we can only hope that we all have the self-awareness to clearly communicate the deeper goals behind what we want (if we are asking for advice) and clearly communicate the assumptions behind recommendations (if we are giving advice).

It's all a matter of understanding people's perspectives which is something photographers should be good at (assuming they are into photography for the making of great images )

Last edited by photoptimist; 03-18-2022 at 06:11 AM.
03-28-2022, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon Rebels ‘let me down’ twice in a row, so now I’m back to Pentax. I don’t have the money nor the time to try every brand. Pentax meets my needs. I don’t need to know anything else.

03-29-2022, 01:26 AM   #38
Pentaxian

will my son (and me too) in 20 years be able to use my K1 with kaf ~ kaf4 lenses like me dad's Smena 8M after 30 years after him

Last edited by mbukal; 03-29-2022 at 01:32 AM.
03-29-2022, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
will my son (and me too) in 20 years be able to use my K1 with kaf ~ kaf4 lenses like me dad's Smena 8M after 30 years after him
Yeah, why not?
03-30-2022, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #40
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Is Sony REALLY #1 in Cameras?
Must be if our Tony says so...