Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2022, 12:30 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is Sony REALLY #1 in Cameras?

"Just be happy with what you have. First of all you're probably rooting for your team once you make a buying choice you want that team to win it is a lot like sports at least emotionally partially because the winner is going to be validating your choice. If you pick a Canon and it seems like the rest of the
world picked Canon you're like okay democracy works these people are all smart therefore i am smart but if you picked a Pentax and now it seems like nobody is buying a Pentax you might be wondering like what are all those people know that i don't know"

---------- Post added 16-03-22 at 08:38 ----------

I think Tony may have read my posts because he says: "see how somebody who chose the more technologically advanced camera in 2016 [e.g Pentax K-1] might be feeling a little hurt right now because they wouldn't have that upgrade path"

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-16-2022 at 12:38 AM.
03-16-2022, 12:44 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is Tone really still making clickbait? Who’d have thought it…
03-16-2022, 01:55 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What does "# 1" mean? Number 1 in overall sales? Number 1 in a particular category? Number 1 in images produced (although that is very subjective)? Pentax is certainly no worse than Number 3 in number of DSLRs sold. Sony only makes mirrorless as far as I am aware (so do Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji). I like Pentax as my main system and what anyone thinks is the "# 1" camera manufacturer is irrelevant. Just for good measure, there is a reason that a lot of people like to use Pentax (and particularly Takumar) lenses on other systems.
03-16-2022, 01:57 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which is why I've long referred to him as $$$ony Northrop.

03-16-2022, 02:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

a Qn on a few different planes.

A) maybe Sony is no.1 if going by number of camera bodies sold?

I don't have the numbers but based on what i see out there (where i am), it seems Sony is either no.1 or no.2, cuz i see so many people using Sony.

B) based on what gets recommended to newbies (where i am), maybe Sony is no.1 or no.2
Cuz everytime i am in a shop selling photography equipment, and there are newbies looking to get a camera, most of the time i see the sales staff "recommending" Sony to the newbies.

C) based on adapters, seems like Sony will at least be no.2, if not no.1

There are so many adapters that adapt other lenses to Sony cam bodies.
And just recently, there's the LA-KE1 that adapts Pentax lenses to Sony cams.

Adapter makers do that only if they are of the view that there's so many people using Sony cams that tje product will likely make money.

D) but then again.
So what if Sony is no.1 or no.2.

I prefer OVF, and IF i need to or want to branch out into something else other than Pentax, i will still prefer Nikon F mount stuffs, due to OVF.

In fact, it is great.
Cuz so many Nikon users are chasing after the latest greatest that so many are dumping their F mount stuffs and now F mount stuffs all very good prices.
03-16-2022, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The one thing he says here that I absolutely agree with is "Just be happy with what you have". Obviously, there are occasions when you may genuinely want or need something more capable or different than you already own, but if that option isn't open to you for some reason - e.g. lack of funds, or no available upgrade path, etc. - just smile and make the best of what you have.

Beyond that... I certainly don't look for validation of - nor do I doubt - my equipment choices based on what others shoot. Who honestly cares what someone else shoots?!

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I think Tony may have read my posts because he says: "see how somebody who chose the more technologically advanced camera in 2016 [e.g Pentax K-1] might be feeling a little hurt right now because they wouldn't have that upgrade path"
As I've inferred previously, experience gained has value, but hindsight and regrets fuelled by that experience don't. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. There are so many folks chasing equipment and/or switching brands for gains that often just don't matter all that much. Come out from among them and be ye separate, sayeth I...

Upgrade and/or switch, by all means, but know that you likely won't be 100% happy with any choice - because no system or camera is tailor-made for us. They all come with limitations and frustrations (both now and in the future) depending on your requirements, preferences, use-cases etc. and how those evolve over time... and there's always something newer, with better specs, performance and features just around the corner.

"Just be happy with what you have"... There's an awful lot to be said for that

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-16-2022 at 03:58 AM.
03-16-2022, 05:11 AM - 11 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sony is #1 in cameras the way McDonalds is #1 in food.

Mass popularity is seldom a sign of being the best of something.

03-16-2022, 05:43 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Just stopped in to check on the latest insanity. Thanks for the quote, now I don't have to watch the video to get annoyed. I'm done. He still needs a frontal lobotomy, the world is as it was.
03-16-2022, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Looks like he starts off comparing apples to oranges. His graphic off the top shows Sony as being #1 AMONG MIRRORLESS CAMERAS...while the graphic showing Canon as #1 doesn't make that kind of distinction. I suspect both graphics are right. It doesn't surprise me that Sony would be #1 among mirrorless cameras. It's better suited for use in a multi-media world since it combines good video with decent still photo capabilities. That's important these days and is why Sony, Panasonic, and Fuji are the rising stars in the business. I make my living by shooting/editing video and a few years ago we opted to dump our traditional ENG video gear and go with Lumix mirrorless cameras. I've liked the change so well that I've since bought a couple of Lumix cameras for my personal use. I used to use my Pentax cameras to shoot video in my free time that I would later use in our tv show...and the footage fared very well when compared to our older cameras...but since our switch to mirrorless, there's a noticeable difference...which is why I picked up a used GH4. I considered completely changing systems a while back before I upgraded to my K1, but ultimately decided that since I was nearing retirement and probably wouldn't be shooting all that much video afterwards, sticking with a camera brand that emphasizes still photo image quality over video quality would probably bring me more long-term satisfaction. It's a matter of choosing the tool that will work best for you.
03-16-2022, 09:02 AM - 5 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

There's very few people on YT I won't watch. He's the one...

I base all of my camera system decisions on the prints I make and what they look like. And my print judgements are based on working for over 30+ years in a professional darkroom so I kinda know what I'm looking for. I think most of my regular YT viewers know it's really to the point of an obsession for me.

So when someone reviews a camera, I always wonder what are the most important things this person is basing their conclusions on. For Toneh it seems it's how much money he can make if he makes a video about it and says something stupid to create a buzz. (Fro is almost as bad.)

Another example is DPreview TV. Overall they do a really good job for "drive by reviews." They compare different cameras using the same criteria, but they don't use the cameras for an extended period of time trying to actually do anything serious with them. So you get a very broad overview of A vs B vs C, which is somewhat useful, but as with most things in life the devil is in the details and you have to use the cameras for a while to find out what they're really like to live with. (Makes you wonder how any marriages survive as well... )

For Pentax specific reviews this forum is one of the best sources for fair and in depth information on Pentax cameras and lenses. As we all know it's a system you have "to get it" to be happy with, and most don't have a clue what it's about.
03-16-2022, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I certainly don't look for validation of - nor do I doubt - my equipment choices based on what others shoot. Who honestly cares what someone else shoots?!

As I've inferred previously, experience gained has value, but hindsight and regrets fuelled by that experience don't. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. There are so many folks chasing equipment and/or switching brands for gains that often just don't matter all that much.

"Just be happy with what you have"... There's an awful lot to be said for that
Exactly so. Why would anyone care what others thought about their camera equipment choices? I know I don't
03-16-2022, 10:45 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There are so many folks chasing equipment and/or switching brands for gains that often just don't matter all that much.
This reminds me of a discussion I got in online else where. Someone had a Canon 40D and asked what they should get to be a better photographer. My response what to invest in some classes that focus on using the features of the camera and also classes that focus on composition, seeing, and various photographic techniques. I also stated that if they really wanted to get gear I suggest that they get either a 35mm or 50mm prime lens and and only use that for a while as it will force them to focus on composition. Every other response was for them to go get the new Canon flagship mirrorless or switch to Sony.

Then I say this as someone who went and got a new K-3iii to supplant my K3 and K-3ii as a primary camera. Even there it wasn't that I was unpleased with what I had but the sensor gains and astrotracer type 3 in the K-3iii for me really are killer features that do offer huge gains.
03-16-2022, 10:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't think he is wrong here, it's just that it doesn't matter. Somewhere around 2012, cameras crossed this threshold where pretty much everything from every manufacturer is beyond good enough for professional shooting requirements. Now we are into comparing niceties like does your camera automatically do everything for you so you don't have to try and build the skills anymore (see eye AF). Video is the main difference now vs older camera bodies and that only applies to a subset of users. Even my K3 and K1 can still produce nicer quality video than some of the older digital camcorders I used to have... Now my K3iii can produce decent quality video. Is it as good as the competition, no, but I hardly shoot video at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Honestly if you are unhappy with your Pentax gear why not just move on? Camera gear is expensive so I get that, but seriously life is short. If I were to abandon my Pentax gear I would have a much shorter list of what I would acquire in the next brand because I know much better what I want now. I might even come out ahead, but not if I really go for the wildlife telephoto lenses I want...
03-16-2022, 11:17 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
This reminds me of a discussion I got in online else where. Someone had a Canon 40D and asked what they should get to be a better photographer. My response what to invest in some classes that focus on using the features of the camera and also classes that focus on composition, seeing, and various photographic techniques. I also stated that if they really wanted to get gear I suggest that they get either a 35mm or 50mm prime lens and and only use that for a while as it will force them to focus on composition. Every other response was for them to go get the new Canon flagship mirrorless or switch to Sony.
That guy or gal was fortunate to receive your advice. I hope they followed that rather than the suggestions of extreme system / camera upgrades. Improved skills - at least for those not already quite advanced in most aspects of photography - would likely grant a greater overall improvement in results than equipment alone could. I'm a perfect example of that... Whilst I'm far more capable than I was five years ago, it's not equipment but skills (and, frankly, effort) that I need to improve upon. The only justification I could possibly have to buy a new camera would be wanting one for the sake of it.

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Then I say this as someone who went and got a new K-3iii to supplant my K3 and K-3ii as a primary camera. Even there it wasn't that I was unpleased with what I had but the sensor gains and astrotracer type 3 in the K-3iii for me really are killer features that do offer huge gains.
I'm not against buying new gear - not at all. If the product exists, someone knows why they're buying it (which could just be "because I want one" - that's perfectly valid), has a good idea of what to expect, already has - or intends to acquire - the skills and ability to utilise it and realise the predicted gains, and can afford the investment in money and personal time required, fantastic
03-16-2022, 11:24 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Honestly if you are unhappy with your Pentax gear why not just move on?
I'm quite sure I've made similar suggestions... such as "defecate or get off the pot"

From what I can ascertain, with the benefit of hindsight biz regrets his previous purchasing decisions because he now needs something more and the upgrade / update path isn't (yet) available - but instead of either (a) accepting whatever limitations his gear has, adapting his expectations and/or use-cases and getting on with it, or (b) making a decision to switch to another system (and getting on with that), he's stuck in a purgatory formed of regret and analysis paralysis...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-17-2022 at 02:17 AM.