Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 318 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2022, 08:30 AM   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Maybe you should read through my post again before throwing insults.
I'm sorry you found that insulting but I don't see what the rest of the post has to do with what I quoted. You made the argument that finding someone with the skills to do micro-soldering wouldn't be feasible/easy but there are already plenty of people in the industry doing it; just on devices that have more demand because it's not worth finding the schematics or reverse engineering such low volume products, let alone sourcing the parts for it.

These aren't cheap devices in the slightest, and professional gear should be properly repairable.

06-01-2022, 08:33 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
People do on board repairs for laptops in the 21st century, they can do cameras and other devices with the right tools and schematics.

The "too hard" argument is just more garbage from the electronics manufacturers, sorry that you ate it up.
I didn’t hear ‘too hard’.
They do need schematics and a supply of parts.
This is certainly not like the mid-20th century - or even later when they would need integrated circuits.
Often today, repairs are done by replacements at the board level,
and often products are not made with repair in mind and repairs are not economical.
06-01-2022, 08:45 AM   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I didn’t hear ‘too hard’.
They do need schematics and a supply of parts.
This is certainly not like the mid-20th century - or even later when they would need integrated circuits.
Often today, repairs are done by replacements at the board level,
and often products are not made with repair in mind and repairs are not economical.
Yes board level repair is done often today, with great difficulty due to pushback from manufacturers. Expensive products breaking leads to demand of repair at reasonable costs.
06-01-2022, 08:52 AM   #154
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes board level repair is done often today, with great difficulty due to pushback from manufacturers. Expensive products breaking leads to demand of repair at reasonable costs.
It is much more difficult than the days of single or double sided boards with through hole components though.

06-01-2022, 09:04 AM   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
It is much more difficult than the days of single or double sided boards with through hole components though.
Well good thing there are plenty of techs who decided to go into that field and can do it at a nominal fee
06-01-2022, 09:15 AM   #156
Pentaxian

People do on board repairs for laptops in the 21st century, they can do cameras and other devices with the right tools and schematics.

The "too hard" argument is just more garbage from the electronics manufacturers, sorry that you ate it up.

Perhaps, but folks still drive into lakes using google maps. One of my clients in the 90's did high end electronics sales and install, sold and RTO'd midlevel consumer stuff and did repairs. He made the bulk of his repair money on VCR's where the fix was removing 4 - 6 screws and replacing the rubber drive band or removing the sandwich,toy, or tape from the slot. He even sold the drive bands OTC retail for 50˘ to $2. He billed $50/hr 1hr min for repairs that typ took about 7-10 minutes even with PB&J. The only tool needed was a #2 Phillips, yet...

Anyone can use a scalpel too, it's not that hard, just put the right side down, push and pull at the same time.
06-01-2022, 09:40 AM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
Perhaps, but folks still drive into lakes using google maps. One of my clients in the 90's did high end electronics sales and install, sold and RTO'd midlevel consumer stuff and did repairs. He made the bulk of his repair money on VCR's where the fix was removing 4 - 6 screws and replacing the rubber drive band or removing the sandwich,toy, or tape from the slot. He even sold the drive bands OTC retail for 50˘ to $2. He billed $50/hr 1hr min for repairs that typ took about 7-10 minutes even with PB&J. The only tool needed was a #2 Phillips, yet...

Anyone can use a scalpel too, it's not that hard, just put the right side down, push and pull at the same time.

Sure, and the bulk of most repair shops money is battery or screen replacements on iphones which you could train a teenager to do competently in a day or two.

But they are professionals and take on big jobs.

Macbook component level logic board repairs - YouTube

06-01-2022, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #158

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
What a nice post. Thanks for sharing, and so diplomatically too Oh, and congrats on re-building the P3n, and especially on receiving your family-owned Spotmatic 2. Awesome

What your post demonstrates - to me, at least - isn't that film is better than digital (because that's subjective), but rather that everyone needs to find their own "happy place" when it comes to photography. There's no right and wrong, no better and worse - at least, not when its applied to photography as a whole. It's very personal. There are so many artistic and technical disciplines within this hobby of ours, and finding one's own niche is what matters... so, too, accepting that this niche may - and most probably will - change over time, perhaps numerous times. For me, I started getting into "real" photography with digital equipment, and only started dabbling with film and home developing / digitising late last year. I absolutely love film - but I like digital, too... They're quite different, and I find both attractive for different reasons. I do know that whatever equipment I have with me, and whatever I should own now or end up with in future for whatever reasons - be it digital, film, point-and-shoot, interchangeable lens, any format - so long as it takes photographs I'll make the most of enjoying and seeing what I can do with it, regardless of what everyone else is up to
Precisely! The happy place! That is exactly what I was getting at. No two people are going to be exactly alike, but we do share so many commen interests, that it's almost like In modern times, what used to be an "all inclusive hobby" is now many microcosms/self contained universes of opinion, specializations, and outcomes. I think it's really cool that we seem to be similar, but coming at the hobby through different "doors" and ending up in a similar central "room" together ☺️

Much love

---------- Post added 06-01-22 at 10:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, the world is changing, day by day.
It is not good or bad; it is just ‘a thing’, and my over fifty years of photography show it.
I make no effort to be artistic. My photography just shows things as they really are,
and that truth changes regularly …… and I will continue to photograph that truth as long as I am able.
This year I plan to “rephotograph” some scenes and show what has changed and what has not.
Oh rad! That sounds like a really solid project, and something very tangible you'll be able to see the results for right up front!

I like that I wish the skateboard bowl/park wasn't torn up for a rec center when I finished high school, or I could do the same with the photoshoot I did on my teachers wide format yashika

Maybe I'll find some old shots I can replicate, that's such a good idea. Thank you for sharing! 😊

Keep on clicking! I love your perspective it's very motivating to me thank you!
06-01-2022, 11:19 AM   #159
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TrueLens Quote
I wish the skateboard bowl/park wasn't torn up for a rec center when I finished high school, or I could do the same with the photoshoot I did on my teachers wide format yashika
Could still be interesting to show what has been built over the old spot, especially if there is an identifiable common reference in the shot (even just in the background or foreground).
06-01-2022, 01:01 PM   #160
Pentaxian

Sure, and the bulk of most repair shops money is battery or screen replacements on iphones which you could train a teenager to do competently in a day or two.

But they are professionals and take on big jobs.

Macbook component level logic board repairs - YouTube

I couldn't do it in a day or two since I don't have the 75lbs (shipping wt) of Apple tools and a stock of practice devices too, you know, practice on. Do you have some comp pics of the Macbook and a K1 or K-III? I learned to slice tissue while in HS when I worked at the path lab in the hospital. That didn't qualify to diagnose let alone perform surgery. When the wife's ibook got hit with funky capacitor problem just outside the extended coverage period it was simpler and much faster to replace the logic board than the cap's, but it wasn't camera, maybe they're easier because of their size.
06-01-2022, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a pity that, along with (perhaps) overly-computerized cameras and near-impossible repairs, graceful conversation and polite exchange of ideas have also seemingly taken a turn for the worse.
06-01-2022, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #162
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"So yeah, it's possible that it's going to be the end of the road for my digital photography."

Of course the decision is yours; however for me the end of the road for my digital photography is way, way down the road. I'm 5 weeks in, recovering from a serious back injury. My two favorite lens are too heavy for me now. However, I just ordered the 55-300 PLM and am very excited to continue with my photography.

I started with a Brownie HawkEye, when I was about 9. I've never looked back. Each camera since then has more automation, bells & whistles that I can or not use them. I can still go manual. Even now, I'm always excited about photography. I have a K3, which is a suburb camera; but I opted to recently get the KP, to continue my enjoyment.

Doom & gloom over a hobby depends on how much one enjoys and uses it.
06-01-2022, 04:49 PM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
After all, the latest Mark 666 camera is still being operated by the original Mark 1 human being..
I disagree. Someone once said “the intelligence of the world is a constant, the population is growing”

As a whole the population needs all the AI it can get
06-01-2022, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The world needs long lasting. repairable products. The world needs consumers that can live without being updated with the last overhyped products. If possible the construction should permit to change components in order to change specifications
06-01-2022, 08:47 PM - 2 Likes   #165
Pentaxian

How many electrical engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
None. They simply redefine darkness as the industry standard.

How many computer engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
“Why bother? The socket will be obsolete in six months anyway.”

How many mechanical engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
Five. One to decide which way the bulb ought to turn, one to calculate the force required, one to design a tool with which to turn the bulb, one to design a comfortable – but functional – hand grip, and one to use all this equipment.
Closed Thread