Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2022, 12:54 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's time to say goodbye?

Looking at how camera things evolve over the years, I feel like the digital cameras are going toward "cheap gizmo" type devices with lots of automation (no need to think, AI).
Ten years ago, a DSLR was relatively expensive device but a serious photography device with lots of manual controls, not a toy, not a gadget, the camera were was all about image quality and the skills of the photographer made a huge difference.
Then DPReview got purchased by amazon, they started to review smartphones, then drones, and video, print making almost disappeared, and now still image making is fairly low priority.
Now, what we see pervasive smartphones with their real time computer-graphic running in the background to modify images, dumping of worthless snapshots online, good high-end images are sunk into the noise.

I really don't like the idea of ILC cameras getting more and more automation, joining smartphones and drones gadgets mass produced in China, releasing disposable cameras and lenses every other year with cameras that judge what to modify on a picture.
I open DPReview webpage, they are talking about the latest must have new drones, must have new phones, must have the 12th new revolutionary filter holder in a year, must have video streaming standard on a camera, my reaction is "beurk, disgusting", gives me nausea, it's the direct opposite of getting me excited.

So yeah, it's possible that it's going to be the end of the road for my digital photography.

05-26-2022, 12:57 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a1CcwaDtmg

Looking at how camera things evolve over the years, I feel like the digital cameras are going toward "cheap gizmo" type devices with lots of automation (no need to think, AI).
Ten years ago, a DSLR was relatively expensive device but a serious photography device with lots of manual controls, not a toy, not a gadget, the camera were was all about image quality and the skills of the photographer made a huge difference.
Then DPReview got purchased by amazon, they started to review smartphones, then drones, and video, print making almost disappeared, and now still image making is fairly low priority.
Now, what we see pervasive smartphones with their real time computer-graphic running in the background to modify images, dumping of worthless snapshots online, good high-end images are sunk into the noise.

I really don't like the idea of ILC cameras getting more and more automation, joining smartphones and drones gadgets mass produced in China, releasing disposable cameras and lenses every other year with cameras that judge what to modify on a picture.
I open DPReview webpage, they are talking about the latest must have new drones, must have new phones, must have the 12th new revolutionary filter holder in a year, must have video streaming standard on a camera, my reaction is "beurk, disgusting", gives me nausea, it's the direct opposite of getting me excited.

So yeah, it's possible that it's going to be the end of the road for my digital photography.
Why?

Why will it be the end?
05-26-2022, 01:14 PM - 13 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Looking at how camera things evolve over the years, ....
You push the button, we do the rest, would make a catchy slogan for someone.
05-26-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You give the latest camera to a 3 year old kid, and it makes the same pictures as any professional photographer.

But it makes you wonder, who is making the pictures, the person holding the camera, or the factory who developed the software, making it able to focusing on the eye of -lets say- a bird and following the eye wherever it goes. The only thing the person holding the camera has to do is point the camera more or less in the direction of that bird.

I refuse for ever to use such a camera (if you even can call it a camera). When i make a picture, i want to be able to say that i made that picture, and not the software developers.

05-26-2022, 01:24 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I fully expect my K20D and my K3 to outlast me, plus all the lenses I have lavished on them. All this hype about 'newest, latest, most sophiscitated (sic)' leaves me cold also. After all, the latest Mark 666 camera is still being operated by the original Mark 1 human being. I needed autofocus and shake reduction due to health issues - other than that, I am more than happy with what I have. I have fun with it, which is surely what it is all about.
05-26-2022, 01:27 PM - 6 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well you're in luck, the Leitz Photographic Auction is just a couple weeks away and you can bid on some 100 year old cameras.

https://www.leitz-auction.com/auction/en/home
05-26-2022, 01:31 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

The Box Brownie was one of the most successful cameras in history, and much loved. "Just push the button" has a long history and is just what the casual user wants.

05-26-2022, 01:53 PM - 9 Likes   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I watched a little of the video, biz, but paid more attention to the text of your post...

Don't get hung up on the ways in which photography, the photographic industry, equipment and software, folks' use of it and the content they're creating are developing. It's all quite irrelevant - or should be - to your own enjoyment of the craft. There's enough good, fully-functional equipment from every era still available that we can all choose to shoot whatever we like, however we like - and there are thriving web-based communities to support users of every variation. If you decide your future lies with film photography in some format, great - go for it... and if someone else should choose to embrace the latest digital technologies, that's great too. There's room for us all to ply our trade however we like whilst respecting others' different approaches

For what it's worth, I'm not overjoyed with the way equipment, software and the proliferation of content are developing either... but I can still see artistic merit in images I like, however someone may have created them - and I'm still able to derive pleasure from them. I don't really care what they used to capture and process those images - I either like them or I don't. As for my own preferences and requirements, I'm fortunate to be well-equipped for now with several digital ILCs - the most recent being my K-3II, the oldest my *ist DL - and more lenses than I could ever need to cover most eventualities. Plus, I have several 35mm and 120 film cameras, from simple fixed-lens point and shoots to TLR and interchangeable-lens SLR models. It doesn't affect me in the slightest what direction the industry takes, what other folks are doing with their photography and how they do it... I can just enjoy the hobby in my own personal way and get satisfaction from that. Some days, weeks or months, that may mean I concentrate mostly on film photography - on others, I might focus mainly on digital, or shoot a mix. I'm not closing any doors behind me, as I've no need to; it would achieve nothing...

EDIT: I will say, with the proliferation of images on the web and the fact that some modern equipment and software allows amazingly-good-quality images to be created by anyone (subject to good observation, composition and lighting skills, of course), it's probably harder to gain recognition for one's photography these days, and certainly harder to sell it when there's so much for potential buyers to choose from... but that only matters if you're seeking to do so. I'm not... the only person I have to impress is myself, by learning and achieving what I set out to, and I've no interest in selling my photos (nor do I think anyone would want to buy them). Those looking for appreciation and recognition can still get it in enthusiast forums such as these, whether the equipment used is modern or old, digital or film...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-28-2022 at 03:44 AM.
05-26-2022, 01:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Like Pizzicato Five once said, "Goodbye baby & amen, さよなら言う ときが来たの. Bye bye baby bye bye, さよならサンキュー, ごきげんよう バイバイ."
05-26-2022, 02:07 PM - 8 Likes   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the equipment takes the photo

so who the photographer is doesn't matter

perhaps

but who chooses the lens ?

who chooses the " target "

who chooses the " composition "

just wondering
05-26-2022, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the equipment takes the photo

so who the photographer is doesn't matter

perhaps

but who chooses the lens ?

who chooses the " target "

who chooses the " composition "

just wondering
Spot on. In fact there are legal ramifications to this - you are in control even if a lot of the details are abstracted from you.
05-26-2022, 02:11 PM - 13 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Instead of reading DPReview (which I haven't read in ages) just go out and take pictures.

I'm having a blast with my K200D. With good lenses you can print quite large.

Why worry about keeping up with the Joneses?
05-26-2022, 02:13 PM - 4 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Instead of reading DPReview (which I haven't read in ages) just go out and take pictures.

I'm having a blast with my K200D. With good lenses you can print quite large.

Agreed. As long as you enjoy the images and the process what does it matter.
05-26-2022, 02:18 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
You give the latest camera to a 3 year old kid, and it makes the same pictures as any professional photographer.
Ah maybe you never had a 3yo.

I handed a camera once to my then 5yo son, next thin you know the camera was broken on the floor.

He is now 13 and has my K-50. He is finally learning a little bit about depth of field and composition.

Nowadays a professional photographer is known more for his/her processing skills, than anything else. But if a good composition isn't there, then it's putting lipstick on a pig.

It's still in the eyes. Which is my quest, to see better, so I can take better pictures.
05-26-2022, 02:19 PM - 12 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Instead of reading DPReview (which I haven't read in ages) just go out and take pictures

Exactly, more snapping, less yapping. If one is practicing photography first and foremost for the enjoyment it brings, the equipment, and everyone else’s methods or opinions do not matter.
Also, in a world of mass production and consumption, artisans still find a market for their work.
Closed Thread