Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2022, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
The UK government has said that it will not follow the EU ruling, no surprise there.
They won't need to, gadgets sold in the UK will have USB-C charging anyway. Manufacturers for global markets are not going to make special non-USB-C versions of their gadgets just for the UK. However, on second thoughts, I wouldn't put it past Apple doing it just out of spite, but I don't care what Apple do.

06-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
By autumn 2024, USB Type-C will become the common charging port for all mobile phones, tablets and cameras in the EU.
Deal on common charger: reducing hassle for consumers and curbing e-waste | News | European Parliament
Maybe by that time hopefully the industry has developed the USB-D connection. And all Europeans have to buy an adapter to go from D to C connection. The end of 2024 is so far off and I do not expect a standstill in the development of USB. To me it would have made more sense that by that time all appliances must be charged cableless with one universal cableless charger.
06-09-2022, 01:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

It does not imply that. The EU demand for Usb-C is just for charging a device, not for connecting it to a computer or such a thing. And the K-1's have a separate charger, like all the older camera's, so no need to comply to that ruling.
06-09-2022, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
By autumn 2024, USB Type-C will become the common charging port for all mobile phones, tablets and cameras in the EU.
Deal on common charger: reducing hassle for consumers and curbing e-waste | News | European Parliament
My laptop computer, which I purchased last year, already had only USB-C ports, and is charged via one of them, any of them.
It came with a {black} short ‘normal USB’ to USB adapter, although I also purchased a white one sold by Apple {which I cannot find right now}.
As far as I’m concerned, it is a non-issue. We will adapt.

BTW - it also has a micro-SD reader built in.
We may see camera bodies which use them to save space.

06-09-2022, 11:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
And the K-1's have a separate charger, like all the older camera's, so no need to comply to that ruling.
Actually, yes, they need to comply to the ruling. The K-1 iii will have in-camera charging with USB-C (just like the K-3iii) and likely won't include an external charger (...just like the K-3iii)
06-09-2022, 11:50 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Maybe by that time hopefully the industry has developed the USB-D connection. And all Europeans have to buy an adapter to go from D to C connection.
There will also be a different adapter for the UK, because the British want to make sure that the French cables stop working after the Frenchs cross the channel Sabotage!
06-10-2022, 12:43 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Interesting. My experience is different. The micro usb cables are more reliable than the old mini usb but they wear out faster than high quality lightning cables - cheap lightning cables are more of a disaster however. My favorite lightning cables are Anker brand. No cables, not even the good usbc last indefinitely. All of mine are fairly pampered and still rarely last more than a year.
Interesting. I never have had any problems with my USB cables. All are still working. All came with some device.

06-10-2022, 04:25 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
Micro USB is one of the worst connectors currently in circulation. There is no way to tell if a cable is “charge & data” or “charge only”.
And it’s so bloody flimsy. I can see why Apple said no way are we using that rubbish.
I had to replace the micro-USB on the phone I had around four years ago and the Philips baby monitor I had had to be replaced after about six months because the screen unit used micro-USB and broke. I suppose they wanted to standardise but micro-USB really is quite crappy. I still use it to charge my X-T20 but if that breaks then I can just use the charger instead.

It's about time USB-C took over.
06-10-2022, 09:20 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Actually, yes, they need to comply to the ruling. The K-1 iii will have in-camera charging with USB-C (just like the K-3iii) and likely won't include an external charger (...just like the K-3iii)
Do you really think there will be a K-1 mark III? I do not think so. FF is the hit in mirrorless land at the moment. There are many offers that make a Panasonic or a Nikon mirrorless FF much more interesting to to buy, than a Pentax labeled FF. You do not get a free lens and a bargain price with any Ricoh manufactured camera. Ricoh will be a niche player APS-C manufacturer. What I meant was that Ricoh will not design new camera's like the K-1 or 645 just to give the EU satisfaction. They will only design a new camera if they can sell it at a profit. And the idea of making Usb-C the standard in the EU is a nice thought that will not work as the rest of the world has other ideas about that. So there is nothing for Ricoh to comply with.
06-10-2022, 10:01 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Do you really think there will be a K-1 mark III? I do not think so. FF is the hit in mirrorless land at the moment. There are many offers that make a Panasonic or a Nikon mirrorless FF much more interesting to to buy, than a Pentax labeled FF. You do not get a free lens and a bargain price with any Ricoh manufactured camera. Ricoh will be a niche player APS-C manufacturer. What I meant was that Ricoh will not design new camera's like the K-1 or 645 just to give the EU satisfaction. They will only design a new camera if they can sell it at a profit. And the idea of making Usb-C the standard in the EU is a nice thought that will not work as the rest of the world has other ideas about that. So there is nothing for Ricoh to comply with.
I do expect a K-1iii.

Put better focusing, in camera charging, and a better view in it - even just bringing it up to K-3iii standards, and it will be a ‘no brainer’ ….. the K-1 had always had a movable LCD.
Put in a 45mb sensor, and the K-3iii may be threatened.
This is not even thinking of new ideas they may have thought of.
The main hindrance right now may be marketing - unloading selling the K-1ii’s they still have in inventory.
06-10-2022, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you really think there will be a K-1 mark III?
Yes, but that's irrelevant. Any other camera Ricoh makes will have USB-C. Even GRs.

I do not think so. FF is the hit in mirrorless land at the moment. There are many offers that make a Panasonic or a Nikon mirrorless FF much more interesting to to buy, than a Pentax labeled FF.
Yeah, you see... They are mirrorless and thus utterly useless to me.

You do not get a free lens and a bargain price with any Ricoh manufactured camera. Ricoh will be a niche player APS-C manufacturer.
*Citation needed.
And the idea of making Usb-C the standard in the EU is a nice thought that will not work as the rest of the world has other ideas about that. So there is nothing for Ricoh to comply with.
Someone doesn't know about the Brussels effect
The rest of the world tends to follow, because splitting product lines is always more expensive than complying with one of the largest markets in the world.
06-11-2022, 01:25 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Will it be possible to get my K20D retro-fitted with this, do you suppose ?
06-11-2022, 01:33 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Will it be possible to get my K20D retro-fitted with this, do you suppose ?
No problem, but it is probably only the K20D sticker you kan keep from your K20D.. Everything else has to be replaced.
06-11-2022, 01:39 AM   #29
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh will be a niche player APS-C manufacturer.
I thought Ricoh declared Pentax to be niche player DSLR brand in the mirrorless world. I'm certain there will be K1iii. Why would they be designing these flawless DFA* primes, if not planning on making a new camera for them with higher pixel density?
06-11-2022, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I believe it is pretty much a standard feature on these products already (except for Apple).
Apple is already moving to it. My wife’s new iPad mini is usbC so is my latest android phone, but I have a mix of usb mini, usb micro, and Apple devices, so I have a standard USB charger with 4 outlets and every possible 30 cm or shorter shandard usb to mini, micro, etc. Cables so I can charge up to 4 devices at once.

I even have a usb micro charger for the batteries for my K5 andK1. It makes life simpler