Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2022, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I currently own 5 Nikon DSLRs, and a mirrorless Nikon Z6 (full frame). While I still sometimes use my Nikon DSLR bodies, the Z6 blows them away in just about every characteristic and feature that's important to me.

Not only will I never buy another Nikon DSLR (so I could care less if Nikon is discontinuing them) but I'd happily trade all 5 of my Nikon DSLRs for another Z6..

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 07-12-2022 at 06:29 PM.
07-12-2022, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I currently own 5 Nikon DSLRs, and a mirrorless Nikon Z6 (full frame). While I still sometimes use my Nikon DSLR bodies, the Z6 blows them away in just about every characteristic and feature that's important to me.

Not only will I never buy another Nikon DSLR (so I could care less if Nikon is discontinuing them) but I'd happily trade all 5 of my Nikon DSLRs for another Z6..
If only Nikon had more customers like you, Fenwoodian.

Most have not bought into mirrorless, camera sales have plunged. Nikon went Z mount and it resulted in what are possibly the greatest financial losses in camera industry history. They're still bleeding!
07-12-2022, 06:55 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, note the contradiction. This press release maintained production, sales and support of DSLRs continue, but did not make the same assurance about development, which was the subject of the Nikkei report.

The K-3 III's rival the D500 has effectively been discontinued and looks like current owners will not get a successor. The new Z mount lenses will not work on it, all F mount owners have taken a hit in resale value because for all intents and purposes, that mount's been orphaned by the company.

There is still stock (including third party lenses) in warehouses and a big secondhand market, but the corporation has lost faith and interest in it, it's not a platform for years to come.
Has anyone tried F-mount lenses on a “Q”??
If one works well, they might be a good source of lenses for us.
I was surprised how well my Mother’s FD-mount 50mm lens worked on my “Q” -
it appears to work better in that use than my eight-element Takumar 50mm f/1.4 does.
07-12-2022, 06:55 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
What a well-researched and carefully balanced article. For a different take on the same, try this:-

https://bythom.com/newsviews/nikkei-needs-new-staff.html

There’s always another way of looking at the same subject. Personally, I thought the Nikkei piece pretty shoddy writing.
Hah! That Thom is such a card. I'm remembering of the time, back when the K5 came and Thom was waxing eloquent about how important noise levels and the lowest of same was really important, and look how good the D7000 is. Low noise especially in shadows, was almost the most important criteria, in fact.

And then along came the K5, which used the same sensor but had significantly better noise control, and all of a sudden, a very few months later, he was saying that this noise stuff was doo-dah, nothing to see here, folks.

Sometimes comedy gold appears in the strangest places.

07-12-2022, 06:58 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Has anyone tried F-mount lenses on a “Q”??
I'm sure they'll be very good, Nikon has a wonderful history of products. That's what's sad, they are clinging on, they haven't managed the downturn in the camera industry at all.

Which will never recover by the way. I think it was Gatorguy who pointed out something like a 90% drop in ILCs sold over the last decade or so.
07-12-2022, 07:13 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm sure they'll be very good, Nikon has a wonderful history of products.
The “Q” has very “idiosyncratic” requirements, independent of “APS-C” performance;
for example, my backyard tests showed the Sigma 70-300 performed better on my Q-7 than the Pentax 55-300 did;
I’ve been told that the reverse was true in actual “APS-C” tests.
That is why I was hoping that someone could report on actual experience.
The eight-element Takumar 50mm f/1.4 has an excellent reputation, BTW.
07-12-2022, 08:05 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is why I was hoping that someone could report on actual experience.
Well, I think the Q owner threads are probably the best place for your question. Hidden in this one I don't think many will see it otherwise.

07-12-2022, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, note the contradiction. This press release maintained production, sales and support of DSLRs continue, but did not make the same assurance about development, which was the subject of the Nikkei report.
Announcing that Nikon stops DSLR would hit their sales front-end of DSLR cameras and F mount lenses, currently a source of cash. It seems that all camera companies are rather cautious about telling what they are actually doing, such as disclosing specifications and release dates of new products , or disclosing what product lines aren't produced anymore.

---------- Post added 13-07-22 at 06:12 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Your best joke in months, biz, cheers!!
Not a joke. Shouldn't be stated as directly as that, but the idea of Ricoh decision to continue making Pentax DSLR is to get some customers who don't like electronic viewfinders from the main camera brands. Some Pentaxians have switched to MILC (or spent their money on MILC instead of Pentax), and it would be natural that some Nikonians who don't like MILC spent their money on a Pentax traditional DSLR. One condition for that to happen , is that Ricoh makes new DSLR models having competitive specifications, same specs as MILC but with an OVF instead of EVF.
07-13-2022, 02:48 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the big thing is that Nikon users who have SLR camera bodies are going to have to sell them for a significant discount at this point. I don't know that this release changes it a whole lot, but few people are going to want to buy into an orphaned mount, even if Nikon will continue to fix the camera (for a price) for four or five years to come (dependent on part availability).

This certainly means the death of the true entry level ILC for Nikon. No more 500 or sub-500 dollar cameras. Everything is going to be 800-ish dollars or more. Looks like Nikon is going to release a Z-30, which with the kit lens is going to retail at 850. I suppose in a plunging market, you need to make more per sale on bodies and lenses you sell. That certainly seems to be true...
07-13-2022, 02:49 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I don't think this is a surprise for anyone. Personally, I'd assumed all DSLR development outside of Pentax had stopped quite some time ago. It's a shame for the F and EF users but no mount's future is guaranteed forever and it's been clear that mirrorless is the future for most users and manufacturers for quite a few years now.

I think far more DSLR users will go mirrorless to stick with their preferred brand (or just to go another one) than will jump ship to Pentax just to stick with DSLRs. I'm not convinced there's be enough DSLR market left in ten years even to sustain only Pentax, but we'll see how the market goes. The shift to mirrorless is the biggest technological change in the market since the switch from film to digital and Pentax survived that by doing what they do best.

As for Nikon, their statement is simply to try to stop some of the bleeding as it's clear that most of it's F-mount user base has left not only the mount but the brand. Sony never officially announced the death of the A mount, they just quietly removed all remaining products from their catalogue, and I expect Nikon and Canon to do the same eventually.

The Z-30 lacks a viewfinder of any kind and that seems to be the easiest way to make a mirrorless camera cheaper but it's a huge handicap to have no viewfinder. Maybe cheap EVFs are still more expensive than tiny penta-mirror OVFs. Nikon's entry-level offerings are uninspiring to say the least, largely due to them so far making the same mistake as they did with their DSLRs - not providing a good lens selection that plays to the main strength of APS-C: small size.

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 07-13-2022 at 02:55 AM.
07-13-2022, 03:18 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

all F mount owners have taken a hit in resale value because for all intents and purposes, that mount's been orphaned by the company.
Recently I was given a near mint D300 and was able to collect a few F lenses at giveaway prices. Have now bought a refurbished D7500, also at a giveaway price. It's still a fine camera. This sort of situation is good for vultures and jackals.
07-13-2022, 03:34 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Recently I was given a near mint D300 and was able to collect a few F lenses at giveaway prices. Have now bought a refurbished D7500, also at a giveaway price. It's still a fine camera. This sort of situation is good for vultures and jackals.
I had been watching for a D500 at a cheap price. After the Nikon news yesterday there's been a boatload of Nikon DSLR's newly listed with aggressive pricing. The one I've been watching for was included: D500, two VR lenses, spare batteries and a QXD card at less than the price a camera alone was selling for two weeks ago.

Owners of Nikon DSLR's are overreacting IMO, but there's going to be a lot of decent gear being sold at stupid low prices.
07-13-2022, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Well, I think the Q owner threads are probably the best place for your question. Hidden in this one I don't think many will see it otherwise.
After I posted my question last night, I remembered there is a whole section here testing the”Q” with various adapted lenses. It is old, but the information I want may be buried there. In quickly looking through there, I noticed that some of the contributors are people I know have died since then - so I can’t ask them further questions - but their pictures live on. So, now, I’ll be quiet, and look carefully. My original point is that I know from personal experience that a lens which works well in its normal environment won’t necessarily work well in another - but I suppose that is relevant to Pentaxians only in the “Q” environment, and there aren’t enough of us.

Last edited by reh321; 07-13-2022 at 04:49 AM.
07-13-2022, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I don't think this is a surprise for anyone. Personally, I'd assumed all DSLR development outside of Pentax had stopped quite some time ago.
It could have some element of surprise within the Pentax world, because for most of us who are 100% using Pentax cameras, we aren't exposed to change, we're a bit disconnected from the fast paced changes that happened in the MILC market within the last six years. OTOH some people are saving money planning for their third MILC upgrade.

---------- Post added 13-07-22 at 15:14 ----------

I'm sure they'll be very good, Nikon has a wonderful history of products. That's what's sad, they are clinging on, they haven't managed the downturn in the camera industry at all.
Nikon are doing well now. They had a period with financial losses when they were so heavily investing in mirror-less and restructuring at the same time, but some good things came of it, they've released the Z9 , one of the world best camera, getting their market share back, and generating profits again. Good job Nikon, Go!

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-13-2022 at 06:14 AM.
07-13-2022, 06:43 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It could have some element of surprise within the Pentax world, because for most of us who are 100% using Pentax cameras, we aren't exposed to change, we're a bit disconnected from the fast paced changes that happened in the MILC market within the last six years. OTOH some people are saving money planning for their third MILC upgrade.
I'm pretty darn certain most photographers with changeable lens cameras today are using DSLR's and not mirrorless. With only around 8 million total sold last year between DSLR and MILC combined, many current camera owners are not being compelled to buy a new one. DSLR's are still king in actual use, and with mirrorless lens prices on a fast rise compared to the premium lenses from just a few years prior, and new MILC bodies priced 30% higher or more than the DSLR's being dropped, a new kit is being priced out of range for a lot of potential buyers.

No camera company is acquiring new buyers to their platforms in numbers high enough to replace the ones who plan no new investment or no longer interested.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-13-2022 at 06:50 AM.
Closed Thread