Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2022, 12:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The end of the SLR

If Pentax is the only SLR maker, there will be no third party lenses. Pentax will have to follow suit.

Nikon and Canon are getting out of SLRs. The mirrorless cameras have a smaller distance between the lens and the sensor. Lens designers use that space when they can.
No new lenses will be designed with sufficient back focal length to accommodate the mirror of an SLR.
With no new third party lenses, won't Pentax fall behind?

07-26-2022, 12:45 PM - 12 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by weverka Quote
With no new third party lenses
I don't use 3rd party lenses
07-26-2022, 12:45 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Most third party lens manufacturer started to drop support for Pentax while still Canon and Nikon had main focus on DSLR. It has probably been close to 10 years since Sigma released the last new lens available in K-mount.

Last edited by Fogel70; 07-26-2022 at 12:51 PM.
07-26-2022, 12:47 PM - 8 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

won't Pentax fall behind?
Behind who ? If they are the only SLR manufacturer, who can they fall behind.

07-26-2022, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

If Pentax is the only SLR maker, there will be no third party lenses. Pentax will have to follow suit.

Nikon and Canon are getting out of SLRs. The mirrorless cameras have a smaller distance between the lens and the sensor. Lens designers use that space when they can.
No new lenses will be designed with sufficient back focal length to accommodate the mirror of an SLR.
With no new third party lenses, won't Pentax fall behind?
That entirely depends on what you mean by “fall behind”. Pentax will clearly develop fewer lenses than are developed for any other mount. On the other hand, as many focal lengths - and in several bottom aperture values - as any photographer needs were already made when the K-mount was first created, and many other lenses were made as K-, KA-, KAF-, etc mounts. All of this wealth is available to us.
07-26-2022, 12:58 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Companies like Samyang/Rokinon, Venus Laowa, and Irix still seem to be supporting our mount, up to and including releases this year.
07-26-2022, 01:05 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless you want a selection of long telephoto lenses, Pentax seems to have the needs of most generalist photographers covered.

The challenge is getting potential new users to detach from the Sony and Canon Internet hiveminds.

07-26-2022, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I have all Pentax lenses, except for my Sigma 150-500 for Pentax that is no longer made. If Pentax would have had the 150-450 lens available when I purchased the 150-500, I probably would have purchased it instead of the 150-500, but the 150-450 had not been manufactured yet. Pentax has a nice choice of lenses, including wide and telephoto.
07-26-2022, 03:14 PM   #9

Ricoh could continue to collaborate with Third Party lens makers as they have in the past with Tamron.
07-26-2022, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Except the third-party lens makers won't have any SLR lens to share - they'd have to develop it from scratch.
There's be no cost saving, but money would be split between two companies.
07-26-2022, 04:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why?
07-26-2022, 05:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I believe it's also the case that Arri PL and Panavision PV mounts have longer registration distance than K mount, so some third parties that are making lenses for cine may find it makes sense to offer them for DSLRs as well.
07-26-2022, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Of all the SLR mounts, the K mount is probably the best with regards to lens selection going back decades. It is true that there won’t be many new lenses released for the mount going forward. It is what it is. K mount, and DSLRs in general, are a dead end at this point.
07-26-2022, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Third party lens manufacturers are regarded as parasites by the camera companies.

When the camera industry grew and like a rising tide raises all boats, they were tolerated as everyone made money, but the market has contracted.

They're actually a threat as the profit margins have disappeared.

My personal situation is that I own many Tamron and Sigma lenses, BTW, because I'm a consumer, and we do like competition!

Another threat to current lens sales is the secondhand market, and being Pentax, there are riches to be found going back to 1975.
07-26-2022, 05:56 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
It is what it is. K mount, and DSLRs in general, are a dead end at this point.
Nikon and Canon are getting out of SLRs.
Tell me next weeks Lottery numbers please?,seeing you two can make these calls.

Just because a company introduces new product lines,doesnt mean existing lines end.

Certainly the emphasis is on developing the newer systems but Canon for one have Dslr products "GOING GANGBUSTERS" according to RudiWinston the Canon USA spokesperson who intros new product.

In the reducing market, all the companies have to be very careful how they run their businesses.CoVid and THE WAR have complicated matters unfortunately.

Dslrs will remain until demand disappears.
Closed Thread