Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2022, 01:59 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So much for Lumix μ43 and my budget

"If it's under $1000 let a smartphone do it." That's what I hear with this.

https://www.43rumors.com/nikkei-reports-panasonic-has-stopped-the-developmen...al-filmmakers/

08-07-2022, 06:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still plenty of used M4/3 gear out there. The sky hasn't fallen yet!
08-07-2022, 09:20 PM   #3

M43 has always been a bit of a niche size. Its greatest benefit is the ability to have a full kit in a small format at the expense of sensor size. Luckily, most cameras in the range make up for it in features and IBIS, not to mention the convenience of doing wildlife and bird photography with more portable lenses that won’t run you into the ground for the price.
08-07-2022, 09:24 PM   #4

Got a used panasonic GX9 (~$300 US)and olympus E-pl6 (~$160 US) few months ago and shooting happily. M43 is still alive.

08-08-2022, 05:04 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
"If it's under $1000 let a smartphone do it." That's what I hear with this.

https://www.43rumors.com/nikkei-reports-panasonic-has-stopped-the-developmen...al-filmmakers/
This really isn't news - all camera manufacturers have all but abandoned the lower end of the market. Cheap APS-C and 4/3 cameras no longer sell in the large numbers that are needed to make them profitable, so camera makers have abandoned that end of the market. They can't be expected to sell at a loss after all. It's painful for those of us who are very limited by budget but it's a sad reality.

Smartphones are "good enough" for most people so they don't buy a cheap DSLR or mirrorless camera for better quality and the market is therefore limited to those who are willing to shell out significant cash for a "proper" camera.
08-08-2022, 05:28 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
so camera makers have abandoned that end of the market.
The good news is that all of us who have made initially not very wise investments in low-end APS-C cameras will see their cameras not drop in value anymore
08-08-2022, 07:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm actually surprised that Panasonic had still been putting R&D on low end M4/3 cameras, Nikon and Canon stopped R&D on low end APS-C cameras for a while now. Pentax might as well (the K-70 came out over 6 years ago) but just haven't announced it officially...

08-08-2022, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is not totally clear at this point where Panasonic is going to draw the line as to what a low-end camera is. They have point and shoots so that is probably a given. What is less clear is what affect this will have on the GX and G lines. GH and S is probably safe and here to stay.

Personally, I really love the GX series form factor and have the GX9 and a few lenses. I would like to see an improved GX9 (maybe GX10) but who knows at this point. Time will tell. There will be plenty of products in the pipeline for a while so not too worried about it really.
08-08-2022, 09:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am pretty sure they are talking about film compacts, not necessarily their M4/3 models. Though I suppose the GX850 line might not make it. We will see!
08-08-2022, 01:37 PM   #10

The first time I read about the demise of M43 was when I read a review of the Olympus E-P1...

What I take out of this is that the P&S small sensor cameras are gone, even the larger hybrids iow the LXs, FZ and what not they have going on in that dept, if I am not much mistaken most of those models are about 5 years old already, possibly the triple digit GXs.

I have my fingers crossed on they keeping the GX, single digit at the moment (10 would be the next natural progression), and G series (ditto) series going, sound photographic tools those.

As for the videocentric GHs, I have no interest in the cutting edge stuff I am not using.

That said, I could probably run my current M43 collection for the forseeable future, and be GTG, I may have gone a bit overboard on the hoarding of those.
08-08-2022, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JensMA Quote
I may have gone a bit overboard on the hoarding of those
It's not hoarding, It's future proofing against unpredictable economic and social times.

I was thinking of adding a GX8 for the weather proofing that was left off the GX9. But I have the Pentax K70 for that so hard to justify the added equipment. Hard, but not impossible...
08-08-2022, 05:45 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
It's not hoarding, It's future proofing against unpredictable economic and social times.
I will quote this one to the little Mrs.
08-08-2022, 09:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I am pretty sure they are talking about film compacts, not necessarily their M4/3 models. Though I suppose the GX850 line might not make it. We will see!
Seriously? Panasonic never made film cameras. Like Sony, they're digital natives.
08-09-2022, 08:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Seriously? Panasonic never made film cameras. Like Sony, they're digital natives.
That's not true at all. Panasonic never got involved in SLRs or rangefinders (to my knowledge) but they churned out plenty of compacts in their day.
08-09-2022, 08:44 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That's not true at all. Panasonic never got involved in SLRs or rangefinders (to my knowledge) but they churned out plenty of compacts in their day.
I can recommend the c625af, very similar to the leica mini compact camera

Panasonic C-625AF Super Mini - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia