Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2022, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
I would look at MF in a heartbeat, but can’t justify starting over on lenses - currently shoot APS-C. My next piece of gear will likely be whatever FF replaces the K1ii (as long as the pixel count goes up), at least then my pricier FF lenses can be used on the new body
A used 645d and older lenses can be yours for not a lot of money. A 645z would push the budget a bit more but honestly it is really amazing what bargains the 645 lenses can be had for. IF I wasn’t already feeding a Sony FF and a Pentax KP lenses and love I’d probably try a 645d. If nothing else it’s just plain different and interesting.

09-05-2022, 01:58 AM   #62
Veteran Member

I think that now the market has returned to normal Not many people had SLRs even in the past, in the film era, only professionals and enthusiasts. Most of them used compacts, that's how it is today, except that today's compacts can also be used as a telephone . The DSLR market was a bit inflated, many buying an entry level DSLR with a kit lens, as that was the fashion. Since FFs have now become affordable for most enthusiasts, it is likely that FF MLs will become dominant in the photo market. I think that the APS-C format will go into decline, those who want less bulky and more portable equipment have the option of the M43 format. As for Pentax, the tendency is to become like Leica, a narrow market niche, for connoisseurs .
09-05-2022, 03:50 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I think that now the market has returned to normal
No one can know what normal is.

The ILC market hit its peak 10 years ago and has declined since(its no secret).

The technology advances,Pandemic and now the war have all affected the market.

When(IF) the world gets back to normal, assessing the camera market may make sense.
09-06-2022, 06:33 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I think that now the market has returned to normal Not many people had SLRs even in the past, in the film era, only professionals and enthusiasts. Most of them used compacts, that's how it is today, except that today's compacts can also be used as a telephone . The DSLR market was a bit inflated, many buying an entry level DSLR with a kit lens, as that was the fashion. Since FFs have now become affordable for most enthusiasts, it is likely that FF MLs will become dominant in the photo market. I think that the APS-C format will go into decline, those who want less bulky and more portable equipment have the option of the M43 format. As for Pentax, the tendency is to become like Leica, a narrow market niche, for connoisseurs .
It depends on what time you consider.

During the 1980’s, a young woman I had known in Grad School got a K1000, because a faculty member recommended it to her. In the 1970’s, she had used a 110 camera, and by 2000 she was using a P&S digital camera, but she was using an ILC in the 1980’s. Also in the 1980’s, my brother had a AE-1 Program. In the 1970’s he had a compact film camera, and by 2000 he had a digital compact camera. By 1981, my Mother also had an AE-1 Program to photograph the Grandchildren. In the 1970’s she took photos at my sister’s wedding with a 110 camera, and by the early 2000’s she had a digital P&S when my niece got married, but she had an ILC In the 1980’s. So I tend to think of the 1980’s as the height of ILC usage.

09-06-2022, 07:56 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
No one can know what normal is.

The ILC market hit its peak 10 years ago and has declined since(its no secret).

The technology advances,Pandemic and now the war have all affected the market.

When(IF) the world gets back to normal, assessing the camera market may make sense.
In my opinion, the supply chain was disrupted by the pandemic, but has long since returned to its current “normal”. Most of us use photography to extend our memories. At one time Kodak made that possible, then various smaller forms competed, but before anything dominated digital started competing, now smart phones. Meanwhile, artists are in a corner thinking their own competition is all that matters.