Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2022, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax going the Leica path OR?

Ive just stumbled upon this information.

Some very encouraging figures for Ricoh/Pentax if true...5.4% of the Dslr market.Back in 2019 the figures were 3%,so thats a huge sales increase.

130,000 units

Watch(he is boring, but),there is other information, some people may find interesting

09-06-2022, 04:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, maybe he should actually look at the Ricoh Imaging website to see the direction the company is going. I had no idea that the K-3III was not well received. And I feel that a lot of Nikon and Canon's recent DSLR sales are due to last chance buyers that are trying to extend the life of their heavily invested systems.

But of course, if they suddenly had new ownership, who knows?
09-06-2022, 09:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Years when new cameras are introduced sales usually increase a lot, especially since there were no new camera for a couple of years from Pentax. Canikon did not drop all that much in sales despite not having any new DSLR in 2021.

It will be interesting to see how the DSLR market evolves in 2022 and the coming years.

Comparing year to year sales during a pandemic may not show the whole picture, as 2020 sales may have been hit harder by it than 2021.
And the coming years may not be the best for cameras sales depending on how the world economy develops.
09-06-2022, 10:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

"Pentax believe in the future of SLR photography". "Pentax is committed to the future of SLR photography through the continued development of camera technology"

Pentax don't follow the Leica path, because:
- Leica invested in mirrrorless, such as the SL series, they didn't say "we aren't going to make mirrorless camera because we're a rangefinder company".
- Leica created / joined the L mount alliance
- Leica sell their camera in most camera shops that also sell Canon, Nikon and Sony
- Leica sell full frame cameras and lenses $5000 or more.
- Leica is a luxury brand, and has the design and the marketing to support a luxury brand.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-06-2022 at 10:53 PM.
09-06-2022, 11:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Comparing year to year sales during a pandemic
Yes, 20/21 and 22 are not normal years and we have the Nato/Ruski war too that interupts the flow of things.
09-07-2022, 12:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
"Pentax believe in the future of SLR photography". "Pentax is committed to the future of SLR photography through the continued development of camera technology" https://youtu.be/mfrMcXAkd0o

Pentax don't follow the Leica path, because:
- Leica invested in mirrrorless, such as the SL series, they didn't say "we aren't going to make mirrorless camera because we're a rangefinder company".
- Leica created / joined the L mount alliance
- Leica sell their camera in most camera shops that also sell Canon, Nikon and Sony
- Leica sell full frame cameras and lenses $5000 or more.
- Leica is a luxury brand, and has the design and the marketing to support a luxury brand.
And not to forget that Leica also sell DSLR. So Leica actively support many different lens mounts on many different types of cameras.
So Pentax and Leica are quite the opposite of each other, in many ways.
09-07-2022, 01:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quality and design that Pentax does not have. By quality I don't mean overall build, but small details like paint that is too easy to damage, oversized prints, labels, etc. I think Pentax is not yet(?) at the point where it can go the price route of Leica. It is still a utility tool, not a vanity item.

09-07-2022, 11:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Wow, maybe he should actually look at the Ricoh Imaging website to see the direction the company is going. I had no idea that the K-3III was not well received.
Even reading posters here is confusing. You simultaneously read praises of the K-3iii and complaints that it doesn’t have a flippy LCD.
09-07-2022, 12:33 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Even reading posters here is confusing. You simultaneously read praises of the K-3iii and complaints that it doesn’t have a flippy LCD.
Everyone has its own priorities....
The latest aps-c models had some peticuliar choices :
  • wifi or not
  • tilt screen or articulated or not
  • gps astrotracer integrated or not
  • double sd card reader or not
  • flash integration or not
  • smaller handgrip or not
So I guess each model had its controversy...and would appeal differently.
The ideal model would have it all (but the price maybe?).
09-08-2022, 04:53 AM   #10

The guy in the first Video not always gets it right.
BCN covers around 40% of japanese camera sales.
I suspect the other 60% is made up by big camera retailers, where Pentax sales are stronger.
Recently published data indicates, that, on the japanese market, after its release K-3III was the top-selling DSLR for a short period.

But again, it's Japan. A market very different to markets in North America or Europe.
Its possibly where Ricoh/Pentax has its highest market share.
Therefore it's not recommended put put BCN sales figures on the same table as global production figures.

The guy does it, and this leads him to wrong conclusions.
09-08-2022, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I unsubscribed from that guy (JCristina) when he seemed to have turn his channel over to promoting, and giving advice, on Starlink. Not primarily because Elon Musk's Starlink project is filling the sky with spacejunk, but mainly because I dislike Musk and his projects intensely.
09-08-2022, 09:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I unsubscribed from that guy (JCristina) when he seemed to have turn his channel over to promoting, and giving advice, on Starlink. Not primarily because Elon Musk's Starlink project is filling the sky with spacejunk, but mainly because I dislike Musk and his projects intensely.
All ‘casters are ultimately sensitive to advertisers in some manner,
but this is another detour from the topic of the thread.
09-10-2022, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Quality and design that Pentax does not have. By quality I don't mean overall build, but small details like paint that is too easy to damage, oversized prints, labels, etc. I think Pentax is not yet(?) at the point where it can go the price route of Leica. It is still a utility tool, not a vanity item.
The main thing lacking by Pentax is respect/recognition by others - not what the product looks like.
Frankly, I don’t care what others think.
They would have to understand what DSLRs deliver - and right now they apparently don’t.
11-17-2022, 11:19 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The main thing lacking by Pentax is respect/recognition by others - not what the product looks like.
Frankly, I don’t care what others think.
They would have to understand what DSLRs deliver - and right now they apparently don’t.
For what it's worth I actually like the design of Pentax DSLRs and I agree that the awareness and recognition is what Pentax is missing right now. Outside of Japan Pentax is rarely on the radar at all for someone trying to get into photography. They need to fix their marketing before they can get anywhere in Europe and I assume the situation is similar in most places outside of Japan.

In the sense that Leica for a long while has been the last manufacturer focused on rangefinders for their main line I can see where you could draw similarities to Pentax soon potentially being the last (D)SLR brand on the market. The J Limited special editions of the K-1 II are a step in that direction and it does seem like Pentax is interested in exploring that more exclusive high end of the market.