Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2022, 08:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shotkit Survey of 1000 Photographers

ICN Roundtable: What cameras do photographers use? Shotkit survey says Nikon the most popular among pros

QuoteQuote:
The team over at Shotkit recently published a gear survey of around 1000 photographers, including both professionals and amateurs, asking what kind of camera and what brand they used and why. The results are rather interesting, not only for what types of cameras are currently being used but also for which brands are more popular with pros compared to non-pros.

Last edited by luftfluss; 09-30-2022 at 08:20 PM. Reason: fixed misleading title
09-30-2022, 08:09 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clearly the conclusion must be tempered by the caveat, these are only survey results from users of shotkit who are pros AND willing to respond, not a random sample of all pros. How representative this is off the wider pro community isn’t clear. Further it is self reported data.
09-30-2022, 08:15 AM - 9 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1%, I'm special
09-30-2022, 09:42 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
1%, I'm special
That’s a 1% I’m proud to be involved with.

09-30-2022, 11:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the difference between preferring OVF and Limitations of EVF simply looking at OVF positively and EVF negatively? Was this a list that they checked the box? It's an interesting survey, but that's about it.
09-30-2022, 01:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
these are only survey results from users of shotkit who are pros AND willing to respond, not a random sample of all pros.
The top banner shows 28% Pro and 72% Amateur out of 1000. But the sample is limited to shotkit users.
09-30-2022, 07:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
The top banner shows 28% Pro and 72% Amateur out of 1000. But the sample is limited to shotkit users.
The title of this thread threw me off. But the point is still valid. 280 pros that aren’t a randomly selected sample.

09-30-2022, 08:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The title of this thread threw me off. But the point is still valid. 280 pros that aren’t a randomly selected sample.
You're right. I've fixed the title.
09-30-2022, 09:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
You're right. I've fixed the title.
Maybe mobile isn’t showing the new title. I’ve seen that before on my own edited thread title. It still shows as “Shotkit Survey of 1000 Pros” for me at this moment.
10-01-2022, 01:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I see that it perpetuates the myth that only mirrorless cameras can have IBIS.
10-01-2022, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So there's another survey suggesting that Pentax is no longer a particularly popular photo brand (with a fairly arbitrary demographic). Nothing wrong with posting it, and even of some interest. But you don't pick up a Pentax because you hope to become part of the in-crowd by doing so. You shoot Pentax because it compels you to take photographs. That's at least how I came to the brand and why I've stayed with it.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-01-2022 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Nuance.
10-01-2022, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I found the results of the survey to be mildly interesting -- although largely irrelevant to my photographic hobby -- a couple of editorial statements by Shotkit gave me pause:

"Micro-four-sensor cameras and lenses are less expensive than other (larger) formats of sensor, which may explain the greater proportion of Olympus (~7%) and Panasonic (~4.5%) users among amateur photographers than professionals."

Really? Check out the price of the OM-1 or the OM-D E-M1X.

"In-body stabilization will always be much better in a mirrorless camera body than in a DSLR, so this was another common response (~12%) in our survey."

Shotkit probably has no data to validate their claim. Clearly, IBIS performance depends on individual camera models and lens focal lengths, so their generalization is off-base.

A significant number of survey respondents seem to favour mirrorless cameras for their smaller size or lighter weight over DSLRs. However, their preference might be misjudged when considering overall camera/lens systems. Some mirrorless lenses are anything but compact and lightweight...

Regardless, I think it's interesting to see that DSLRs still have a faithful following, despite the general impressions in the industry that might suggest otherwise.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-01-2022 at 01:26 PM.
10-01-2022, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
"Micro-four-sensor cameras and lenses are less expensive than other (larger) formats of sensor, which may explain the greater proportion of Olympus (~7%) and Panasonic (~4.5%) users among amateur photographers than professionals."

Really? Check out the price of the OM-1 or the OM-D E-M1X.
It depends on the model of m43 really. I picked up a new GX9 with 12-60mm lens for under $800 so you can put together an m43 kit pretty cheaply if you want. No idea what Shotkit is about and no idea if their sample represents anything in the real world. I have heard that Olympus and Panasonic are doing very well in Japan, but that's just Japan. Other parts of the world, not so much.
10-02-2022, 12:43 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never heard of Shotkit before, thanks. Happy to see it’s another “authority” in the great competitive sport of camera ownership and can be ignored.
10-02-2022, 01:33 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Clearly the conclusion must be tempered by the caveat, these are only survey results from users of shotkit who are pros AND willing to respond, not a random sample of all pros. How representative this is off the wider pro community isn’t clear. Further it is self reported data.
All surveys have that issue. I am often called by Yonder Data Solutions and asked whether I want to participate in a survey. Of course they never divulge the purpose of the survey. I always politely or sometimes not so politely decline. It does make you wonder how many people agree to take part and why they would choose to do so. One satisfying reason to take part would be to give false answers to every question . Maybe I'll try that next time