Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2022, 12:32 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Film prices and film camera process are soaring locally.

12-25-2022, 03:50 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it really comes down to a shrinking market. On one hand, a lot of people have moved to mainly shooting with their phones. On the other hand, SLRs are being abandoned for "better" MILCs. The end result is to have a bunch of gear dumped on the market that is perceived as old and out of date, even though for the majority of users it would be more than adequate to shoot with.

Maybe a last thing at this moment is that inflation has really driven down the amount of free cash that Americans have to drop on hobbies. If you buy gas or groceries, your paycheck just doesn't go as far...
12-29-2022, 07:03 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dunno about US, but here in Poland prices are falling, interest too. I was trying to sell my Limited primes, set them up for sale for slightly below 1/2 of new prices. Buyers were asking for 1/3 or 1/4 even on lenses with warranty. If you count in inflation the loss will be even bigger. At this point I wonder if I should keep them even as dust gatherers. Maybe after crisis it will go back up, maybe not.
12-29-2022, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #34
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Are used camera and lens prices falling faster than we realise?
I'm still too busy using mine, to worry about such things...

And the Harem certainly doesn't wish to know it's getting cheap.

01-01-2023, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

At a generic {non-brand specific}, photo discussion web-site, when I defended Pentax’s decision to investigate building film camera(s) again, I was told that (D)SLR is old technology, that Pentax is at least seven years behind Nikon. That attitude cannot be helpful to the sales of any brand’s DSLR.
01-01-2023, 09:27 AM   #36
Pentaxian

It is not just because of mirrorless. Nothing much is selling, not cameras, lenses, other photo gear like flashguns, or anything else. I have had a variety of things on Ebay and most do not even get a page view, so I have given up for the time being, and some of those things have now been tossed into the dustbin recycling bin.

With the postal strikes in the UK my nearest village has lost it's mobile post office (probably for ever) and my next option for despatching a parcel would be to drive some distance into town. WIth the extra time and expense involved It has ceased to be worth selling anything under a certain value.
01-02-2023, 01:10 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
At a generic {non-brand specific}, photo discussion web-site, when I defended Pentax’s decision to investigate building film camera(s) again, I was told that (D)SLR is old technology, that Pentax is at least seven years behind Nikon. That attitude cannot be helpful to the sales of any brand’s DSLR.
How can Pentax be behind a manufacturer (Nikon) that is no longer making DSLR ?

01-02-2023, 07:04 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
This person was saying that Pentax users keep comparing Pentax cameras to Nikon cameras - like the D500 and the D850 - of the past.
01-03-2023, 07:24 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Nikon claim to still be making several DSLRs, just not developing more.

D3500
D7200
D780
D850

I think, from memory
01-06-2023, 08:45 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought two used lenses in December, and received two lenses as gifts, the last thing on my mind right now is buying used gear.
01-07-2023, 05:21 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I bought two used lenses in December, and received two lenses as gifts, the last thing on my mind right now is buying used gear.
I sold my old K70 for $275 recently, and have regretted it ever since. Great camera that I miss enough to almost immediately turn around and buy another for almost $100 more.

By the way, I've already sold the Sigma 500 4.5 (too unbalanced and less useful than I expected) for roughly $300 more than I paid, and to a reseller who will certainly at least double the price he paid me. For that particular lens I DID get a true bargain. But the other gear seems to be close to what stuff is currently selling for.

I with ya on lenses and cameras, I'm going to stop even looking and be tempted. I'm set unless a bargain price DFA21 falls in my lap. But there are some very good prices out there on well-cared for stuff for a patient buyer.
01-07-2023, 06:34 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sold my old K70 for $275 recently, and have regretted it ever since
The one item I regret selling is the FA 24-90 3.5/4.5. I sold it because I had bought the K-1 with the D-FA 24-70 2.8. The older FA lens was lighter and would have made a better "walkabout" lens. Plus the extra 20mm of FL would have been handy.

I may buy one again at some point.
01-07-2023, 06:49 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I sold my old K70 for $275 recently, and have regretted it ever since. Great camera that I miss enough to almost immediately turn around and buy another for almost $100 more.

By the way, I've already sold the Sigma 500 4.5 (too unbalanced and less useful than I expected) for roughly $300 more than I paid, and to a reseller who will certainly at least double the price he paid me. For that particular lens I DID get a true bargain. But the other gear seems to be close to what stuff is currently selling for.

I with ya on lenses and cameras, I'm going to stop even looking and be tempted. I'm set unless a bargain price DFA21 falls in my lap. But there are some very good prices out there on well-cared for stuff for a patient buyer.
I won’t look simply because I don’t need anything right now, regardless of what prices are. If their prices are acceptable, I will consider a Pentax film pocketable, since I haven’t been able to locate the Olympus camera I know is around here somewhere.
02-18-2023, 01:38 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I was interested as to whether falling prices for Pentax kit had been discussed on Pentaxforums and found this thread. A Pentax DA 40mm went yesterday on Ebay for GBP 75. Strikes me that folks are abandoning Pentax. Its quite sad, I really rate Pentax kit.
02-18-2023, 03:02 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by whojammyflip Quote
I was interested as to whether falling prices for Pentax kit had been discussed on Pentaxforums and found this thread. A Pentax DA 40mm went yesterday on Ebay for GBP 75. Strikes me that folks are abandoning Pentax. Its quite sad, I really rate Pentax kit.
Someone got a bargain then. Others sold on eBay for about double that in GBP since the turn of the year, sometimes even more. I find Pentax lenses – the ones I'd be interested in – tend to keep their value. This is annoying for someone on the lookout for a truly cheap, working 20-40mm DA Limited.