Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2023, 07:15 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Start of Another Rumour??

This site allegedly will help you make your best choice from not just 1, but TEN, Pentax full frame MIRRORLESS cameras!!!!

https://www.pdhre.org/best-pentax-mirrorless-full-frames/

Not only are all the Pentax cameras in the list NOT (surprise!!) mirrorless, but 6 of these ten "mirrorless pentax" cameras are not even Pentax!! And the Pentax K70 is listed as one of these "full-frame", "mirrorless" cameras!!

A little bit of poking around reveals that the list was probably created by some artificial "intelligence" engine!

Should someone tell this 'PDHRE" mob, or Amazon (as at the bottom of the page they advise "pdhre.org is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program".

01-06-2023, 07:44 PM - 7 Likes   #2

Rubbish like this is neither news nor rumor, just some hack job by script from some shady Internet click bait merchant. Moved to photo industry. It would probably be wiser to delete the link rather then generate any traffic.
01-06-2023, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More snapping, less yapping.
01-07-2023, 09:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, click bait. I encountered the same thing when trying to find a small telescope for a gift. Big list, but the one at the top had the worst actual ratings. I ended up doing my own research and found a good choice. Same thing happens with Walmart - they have EVERYTHING. Click on their site and they have @&##**#, and then they charge 5 prices for some of it.

01-07-2023, 12:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Apparently it is AI behind the picks, so the AI in not that smart.

QuoteQuote:
How we Picked the Product
Most of the items mentioned are not hand-picked. The list was generated by AI. We also Recommended Product Throw our AI System. Every product included This list not tested by real people. reviewe and recommended by our AI System.
01-07-2023, 09:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The future of Pentax digital is mirrorless.
01-07-2023, 10:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Nothing Pentax has said or done suggests there is even a remote likelihood of that being true. On the other hand, everything Pentax has been reported as saying or doing in the last 2-3 yrs suggests Pentax will be staying DSLR.

01-08-2023, 01:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It seems that Ricoh believes in analog mirrorless future.
01-08-2023, 04:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It seems that Ricoh believes in analog mirrorless future.
I don't recall seeing anything in the speculation about a film camera that suggests it would be mirrorless?
01-08-2023, 04:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
I don't recall seeing anything in the speculation about a film camera that suggests it would be mirrorless?
The likely first is described as a compact camera. So, mirrorless but maybe with an optical viewfinder.

No pentaprism, either.
01-08-2023, 10:34 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The likely first is described as a compact camera. So, mirrorless but maybe with an optical viewfinder.

No pentaprism, either.
Mirrorless these days implies an electronic viewfinder, but any optical rangefinder camera, view camera, etc, fits the description as well. I don't think Biz is correct in his statement. Ricoh has point blank said the future of Pentax is SLR, though if they decide to put a film camera under the Pentax name on the market that has a non interchangeable lens it would probably be an optical rangefinder type, thusly fitting the description of mirrorless, though not as is understood in the language of today.
Putting an EVF on a film camera would be extravagantly expensive and extremely pointless.
01-08-2023, 02:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Mirrorless these days implies an electronic viewfinder, but any optical rangefinder camera, view camera, etc, fits the description as well. I don't think Biz is correct in his statement. Ricoh has point blank said the future of Pentax is SLR, though if they decide to put a film camera under the Pentax name on the market that has a non interchangeable lens it would probably be an optical rangefinder type, thusly fitting the description of mirrorless, though not as is understood in the language of today.
Putting an EVF on a film camera would be extravagantly expensive and extremely pointless.
I’m sure the term “mirrorless” only took hold because the marketers didn’t want to use “EVIL”, but anyway, thank you for confirming my recollection about Pentax only being SLR cameras. I suppose they could always do what Shanghai Automotive has done with the MG name, and find a defunct film camera maker name and buy the right to use it, for peanuts. Or, they could just change their minds about the strict use of the label.
01-08-2023, 04:26 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I’m sure the term “mirrorless” only took hold because the marketers didn’t want to use “EVIL”, but anyway, thank you for confirming my recollection about Pentax only being SLR cameras. I suppose they could always do what Shanghai Automotive has done with the MG name, and find a defunct film camera maker name and buy the right to use it, for peanuts. Or, they could just change their minds about the strict use of the label.
Or just say that they were talking about digital cameras when they said it. I don't have the press release at hand, but that might have been what they said anyway.