Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 639 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2023, 10:59 AM - 6 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not especially bothered by their demise, to be honest. Over the years I've dipped in for info/advice, but most helpful stuff has come from this site. I did detect a bias against Pentax that I felt was unwarranted and biased, which like other areas in my life, if I detect bias and hypocrisy I tend to turn away, unless I need to engage.

Related to this I do miss quality printed photo publications. To me a photograph is not properly finished until it's printed, so a printed magazine, printed on a quality stock, tends to make my look and engage with images I would never give more than a nano second to online. This helps me learn and expand, especially when the associated text is written well. Or at least it did when there was a market. Most publications have either gone under or are electronic only. We've lost something and gained much noise instead ...

03-21-2023, 11:09 AM - 4 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
It is / was also a question why it floated into the arms of Amazon. The answer is also the reason that it is shut down. But I agree with others that it was a source for photographers, but like any other forum it should not be your only source for information. I will miss comparing the reviews there with Pentaxforum's reviews. It was after all many years ago that I learned from DPreview that there was a Pentaxforum.
Amazon acquired them in 2007 when dedicated digital photography was still booming from people stepping over from film and camera phones were still crap. Now it has become a niche, so they lost interest, just like Samsung lost interest in camera's even though they had just put one of the best camera's ever on the market.
03-21-2023, 11:22 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have mixed feelings over the impending demise.

DPReview has been a diverse photographic gear site, and its forums are probably the broadest. I've benefited over the years from some of the information on new cameras or lenses, and have enjoyed some of the general-interest pieces. On the other hand, I won't miss the articles on "The Best" or "The Worst" or the DPReview TV stuff -- I find their videos to be generally too long for the useful information that they offer.

IMO, DPReview has not been particularly useful for information or insights into Pentax gear, although earlier articles were worthwhile.

They'll be missed within the general photographic community, and certainly by the many active forum members there.

- Craig
03-21-2023, 11:25 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
And OF COURSE a mod locked it before responding to the member who wanted more info about Pentaxforums.com

The way it was originally written it could be mistaken for a reference to some general Pentax forum on an unspecified site.

EDIT: I posted the mention of Pentaxforums.com in the only remaining unlocked thread.
So did I:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4705220#forum-post-66954827

03-21-2023, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Related to this I do miss quality printed photo publications. To me a photograph is not properly finished until it's printed, so a printed magazine, printed on a quality stock, tends to make my look and engage with images I would never give more than a nano second to online. This helps me learn and expand, especially when the associated text is written well. Or at least it did when there was a market. Most publications have either gone under or are electronic only. We've lost something and gained much noise instead ...
A subscription to "Outdoor Photographer" perhaps? I've enjoyed mine even if the number of ads probably matches the pages dedicated to articles. Still a very worthwhile printed magazine.
03-21-2023, 11:30 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for the teamwork! I wasn't aware they had any other threads not yet locked. Mine was posted in the main shutdown thread.
03-21-2023, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Oh, wow. Phil's first tests, comments, samples etc. were a useful contribution to the photo community from the beginning of digital photography
I think I missed the old side and it's spirit since it got bought by Amazon already.

Still, it was a good resource for information and a regular source for news.

Who would have thought that Pentax in this form as a DSLR-manufacturer would outlive both the mirrorless pioneer Olympus and the dinosaur dpreview...

03-21-2023, 12:01 PM - 3 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, what is going to be the Pentax Forums "bogeyman/whipping boy" now?
03-21-2023, 12:07 PM - 7 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
So, what is going to be the Pentax Forums "bogeyman/whipping boy" now?
The real bad news is that all those trolls will need to find a new home. DPR at least kept them all in one place where they could be ignored.
03-21-2023, 12:09 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A subscription to "Outdoor Photographer" perhaps? I've enjoyed mine even if the number of ads probably matches the pages dedicated to articles. Still a very worthwhile printed magazine.
I guess I'd not respond to photos of bison, bear and rattlesnakes In the UK our Outdoor Photography mag has become swamped with ads and articles clearly sponsored by advertisers. I had several years worth in a pile that I've recently donated to a young wildlife photographer near me. His parents can't drag him away from them. So some good came from them and I clawed back some cupboard space. Lots of articles about fearsome foxes, terrifying toads and dangerous deer, plus hills aspiring to become mountains when the plates next shift ...
03-21-2023, 12:11 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gave up that place long ago when I realized it was a website for Previews only and no Reviews. Bye bye d-Preview!
03-21-2023, 12:15 PM - 4 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

I didn't really care for the main review site, but I'm gonna miss the forums. It was the only place where I could interact with different camera users.
03-21-2023, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #28
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

maybe NikonForums and CanonForums will get a bit more attention now?
03-21-2023, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I didn't really care for the main review site, but I'm gonna miss the forums. It was the only place where I could interact with different camera users.
There's people over here that use other brands without fanaticism. For example: m43, Fuji, L-Mount, and compact cameras.
03-21-2023, 12:29 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

And OF COURSE a mod locked it before responding to the member who wanted more info about Pentaxforums.com

The way it was originally written it could be mistaken for a reference to some general Pentax forum on an unspecified site.

EDIT: I posted the mention of Pentaxforums.com in the only remaining unlocked thread.
That particular mod is quite a piece of work. He once deleted a posting of mine (which was pointing out certain "inconsistencies" in how Pentax was treated in the reviews compared to other makes). The cause? I said "sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander". I think the guy is Swedish and didn't know the saying, so he looked it up and got the etymology, which originally---centuries ago!--was a little disparaging. Now of course it has come to mean something completely different--i.e., fairness. I had an exchange with him in PM's, asking for him to tell me what i had done wrong. His answer was "You know what you've done." And of course there's no recourse on DPR for bad moderation, which happens frequently. I've been on his radar ever since, and he continued to ding me for nothings.

Don't EVER let him come here.