Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2023, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

"Reports Confirm That Zeiss Has Exited The Photo Industry" - phoblographer

Reports Confirm That Zeiss Has Exited The Photo Industry

"If the end of Zeiss is true, then it’s one we’ve known as coming for a while. The photo industry isn’t on its deathbed. It just needs to desperately evolve."

Clickbait article that cites a "Fred Miranda forum post" as its primary source. However, it doesn't sound completely implausible.

06-06-2023, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the second answer of the first question : They have excited the photo industry
06-06-2023, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Maybe that terrible-looking Android camera finally killed them.

Zeiss could have adapted to the mirrorless market by producing high quality manual lenses in the same way they did for Canon and Nikon (and Pentax) once upon a time. Manual focus is a breeze on mirrorless so it has revitalised the manual focus lens industry but that's mostly visible in the cheap Chinese products.
06-06-2023, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Aren't Zeiss mostly having third parties build their photography lenses for them? They're an odd company. Weird to think that they were so impactful on Pentax at one point and they may be exiting this market space. That said there's not much of their glass that I really want to pay for.

06-06-2023, 02:33 AM   #5
pid
Pentaxian

Maybe Ricoh should buy them for Pentax Lenses ...
06-06-2023, 03:11 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Aren't Zeiss mostly having third parties build their photography lenses for them? They're an odd company. Weird to think that they were so impactful on Pentax at one point and they may be exiting this market space. That said there's not much of their glass that I really want to pay for.

Cosina made their lenses for a number of years; now they make Voigtlander lenses....
06-06-2023, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
"Reports Confirm That Zeiss Has Exited The Photo Industry"
Ah, the folks at Mitakon Zhongyi will be celebrating tonight... one more barrier to their domination of the camera lens market down, just a few more to go...

06-06-2023, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Reports Confirm That Zeiss Has Exited The Photo Industry

"If the end of Zeiss is true, then it’s one we’ve known as coming for a while. The photo industry isn’t on its deathbed. It just needs to desperately evolve."

Clickbait article that cites a "Fred Miranda forum post" as its primary source. However, it doesn't sound completely implausible.
No loss.

I have never seen a single photo made with a Zeiss lens that had anything special about it.
Not to mention the abysmal cost/benefit ratio.
06-06-2023, 04:40 AM - 5 Likes   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
No loss.

I have never seen a single photo made with a Zeiss lens that had anything special about it.
Not to mention the abysmal cost/benefit ratio.
Reading between the lines, it almost sounds as if you won't miss them, then?

Aside from my vintage glass, I only own one modern-day Zeiss... the Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* (SAL-2470Z) in A-mount (first released in 2008, I believe). In terms of build quality, it's the best AF lens I own (if a little on the heavy side). In terms of image quality, it's the best zoom lens I own with a great mix of sharpness, nice rendering, minimal distortion, minimal CA and minimal vignetting at all focal lengths and apertures (even wide open). As for AF, it's the fastest-focusing non-screw-drive lens I own - it's quick... very quick... and always accurate. Overall, it's one of the best lenses I've ever owned, and by far the best zoom lens I own.

Imaging Resource concluded:

QuoteQuote:
I'm not one to gush, but there's really only one way to end this review - with glowing praise. The Sony 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 offers truly exquisite optical performance, and mounted on an Alpha body with in-camera image stabilization, you're looking at a truly remarkable platform for creating excellent images. If you think you need this lens and can afford it, it's a very easy decision to make.
I'm not sure how much of the credit should go to Zeiss, Sony and/or Cosina, but they knocked it out of the park with that lens.

Of course, like your statements above, these are just my (and Imaging Resource's) subjective opinions.

If it's true Zeiss is dropping out of the photography business, personally I think it's a real shame... They were a huge force and influence in lens design and development since the 1890s. It's sad to see that part of their history come to a close...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-06-2023 at 05:47 AM.
06-06-2023, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #10

Photos: Albums
According to Zeiss, it's going really well! Also for that branch of Zeiss that produces lenses.

Another very successful year for the ZEISS Group

"Oberkochen, Germany | 14 December 2022 | ZEISS Group"

""The past year was certainly very difficult and challenging in many places due to the geopolitical conditions. Nevertheless, we can look back on another successful fiscal year with a high degree of economic satisfaction," said Dr. Karl Lamprecht, President and CEO of ZEISS. "For the first time in our history, our annual revenue has exceeded the threshold of 8 billion euros. All four ZEISS segments and more than 38,000 employees have contributed to this. We are growing and at the same time investing in the future worldwide. The success shows that we are on the right track with our strategy focused on megatrends.""

"Revenue in the Consumer Markets segment also increased year-on-year in fiscal year 2021/22. The Vision Care strategic business unit generated growth in all regions - particularly with ZEISS brand lenses, innovations and digital products. With innovations and greater market penetration, revenue for nature observation and hunting optics is also developing positively. With the resumption of the cine lens business in the reporting period, business with film lenses also grew compared to the previous year."
06-06-2023, 06:51 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Maybe that terrible-looking Android camera finally killed them.

Zeiss could have adapted to the mirrorless market by producing high quality manual lenses in the same way they did for Canon and Nikon (and Pentax) once upon a time. Manual focus is a breeze on mirrorless so it has revitalised the manual focus lens industry but that's mostly visible in the cheap Chinese products.
They did. Sony e Mount Zeiss Loxia lenses are precisely that. They also offered the Batis line which was autofocus. In other mount the Milvus and Otus exist but some of those are dslr lenses.

ZEISS Loxia Lenses | Small, robust and made of metal

---------- Post added 06-06-23 at 09:55 AM ----------

The Zeiss photo lens exit rumor has been around a while. They make fine lenses, but they have not made any advancements in photo lenses for a long time and that’s the root of the original rumor.
06-06-2023, 07:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
Maybe Ricoh should buy them for Pentax Lenses ...
That would spark outrage on the level that even Leicaphiles would be telling people to calm down.
06-06-2023, 07:13 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The photo industry isn’t on its deathbed. It just needs to desperately evolve."
It has and just like the car industry, once unknown Korean and Chinese manufacturers are giving the elite a run for their money. Had it not been for Tamron, I would have considered Samyang's offerings for my Sony system. Too bad the offerings for Pentax are few if any.
06-06-2023, 08:37 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been hearing these rumors for the longest, then they(Zeiss) come out with a new series of lenses ?
06-06-2023, 10:38 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I have been hearing these rumors for the longest, then they(Zeiss) come out with a new series of lenses ?
What lens are newer releases than several years old other than Cinema lenses?