Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2023, 03:28 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The funny (?) thing is that many people felt like the accelerator was a step backward and didn't want to have it placed on their camera. Looking back, Pentax was charging 550 dollars for the upgrade, so a healthy chunk of money and something that would be a good percentage of the cost of an entry level camera -- if they could do it for that price now. It isn't as though they told people who had bought a K-1 that they would upgrade them for free.
I think the evidence shows the pictures from both cameras are so nearly identical that the accelerator isn't a problem. There's an extra Pixel shift mode and I think that's it. I expected updates for the original K1 to dry up and for the only the -ii to be supported, which hasn't happened, and the update would have been an extra year's warranty. I didn't need the warranty and the haven missed the pixel shift change. I wanted the update, but wasn't desperate for it, and didn't mind too much when I couldn't get it. It's turned out to be money saved. There was no reason to offer free updates, K1 owners had used the camera for a couple of years it had been fine, putting the accelerator in didn't fix a failing, or make good on a promise, it was a spec improvement.

On any camera, if an update changes one piece, (and by definition that means the shell stays the same, and the piece is the same size and fits in the old body) then if cost of the part , and of dismantling and reassembling the camera aren't prohibitive it makes sense to offer an update. But for an entry level camera I think cost is almost always prohibitive, and for most updates it's multiple components and the new ones won't fit the old body.

---------- Post added 07-03-23 at 03:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Interesting to hear that. I chose not to take the upgrade partly because it would make no difference to my photography, and partly because I did not want to trust the camera to couriers - this thread is not the place for my courier horror stories.

Don't go there. I've just sent a lens to Uttoxeter today. I dithered on the update because I didn't think it would be a big plus, I wanted to see if the processed RAWs where really a disadvantage (In principle I don't like the idea, in practice no difference) and I didn't want to be without my camera, when I decided to do it Johnsons told me they'd used the allocation but were expecting more boards, and then they went bust and that was that.