Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2023, 01:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sunpak Gone?

Have Sunpak gone out of business? Wikipedia says they have, with an edit done in the last few days and the Sunpak Japanese website ??????????????????????????????? shows just a keeper page. None of the main UK photo chains (Wex, Jessop, LCN) show any Sunpak gear, nor do a couple of US ones I tried, although an outfit called Tocad (an importer?) shows some Sunpak branded tripods and LED lights, at least one of which they claim can be used for stills flash (meh!). This must have happened quite recently because I was looking at flash units on their website quite recently, but can't remember when exactly.

So they seem to have followed Metz, their great rivals in flash for many years, into oblivion. One might have thought that with Metz going that Sunpak would have picked up some extra trade, but if so it was obviously not enough.

I notice the Wikipedia article about them is minimal in the extreme. I might do something about that.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 08-11-2023 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Clarified what the Japanese language link was. + Tpyo
08-11-2023, 02:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Now, that would maybe explain the disappearance of Pentax and Nikon branded flashes discussed in the rumors thread...
08-11-2023, 02:35 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The brand's parent company - TOCAD ENERGY - still shows Sunpak flash products on its main website:

TOCAD ENERGY

Whether they're still producing Sunpak-branded flashes, I don't know. I guess they'd be a perfect partner for one or more of the major photography companies (Nikon? Ricoh Imaging?) to manufacture their OEM-branded flash products...

---

EDIT: Further to the above, here's the history of TOCAD ENERGY:

https://www.tocad.co.jp/en/company/history/

From this:

QuoteQuote:
2015 Feb. - Production at Shenzhen Factory in China is terminated, and overseas production is consolidated into Zhuhai Factory.

2017 Dec. - Tocad Energy Electronics (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd. is liquidated.
I'm only guessing, but perhaps this is where the flash products were manufactured?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-11-2023 at 03:15 AM.