Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The OP has the same link in his original post. Why mention it twice?

01-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
emphasis...

01-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Yeah, stupid, missed it.
Browsing too fast...

- Bert
01-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

To put things into some perspective, sigma recently bought Foveon who made the sensor in their cameras. I'm sure everyone knows.

According to Flickr their SD14 camera has 22 daily users, against 2395 daily XSi users or 169 K20D users. So even with that TINY marketshare they seem to be making enough money on their camera body business to warrant a major investment.

I guess the market is big enough that even a 1% share is significant.

01-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
I hope you're not saying that mac is better quality than pc?
why? Because you're going to point out all the reasons why a PC is superior?

I'm not going down that rabbit hole. I will say that if you compare the design and execution of any piece of Apple hardware vs. the competition you'll see a difference. Whether or not that is "better" is up to the individual. As for OS, whatever floats your boat. But I haven't needed to run anti-virus or had a BSOD in many many years. And I can't run FinalCutPro on a PC. But I can run widows on my Mac.
01-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #21
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
why? Because you're going to point out all the reasons why a PC is superior?

I'm not going down that rabbit hole. I will say that if you compare the design and execution of any piece of Apple hardware vs. the competition you'll see a difference. Whether or not that is "better" is up to the individual. As for OS, whatever floats your boat. But I haven't needed to run anti-virus or had a BSOD in many many years. And I can't run FinalCutPro on a PC. But I can run widows on my Mac.
And if MicroSoft hadn't pumped 150 million into Apple?
01-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
the 5Dmkii, aside from producing compressed data and a time limit on shots, is a serious slap in the face to any dedicated movie camera.
*Any* dedicated movie camera? I beg to differ. The image quality one can get from the highest-end digital movie cameras (CineAltas and P2-based video cameras) are far and away better than the movie output of the 5D Mk II. I don't think it could even touch the RED's output, much less real 35mm film movie cameras and IMAX-format movie cameras.

01-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I've been looking pretty hard, but can't find an outlet for reasonably priced Pentax gear in Denver at all. What they do have at Wolf (on 104th Ave. and Grant St.) is near MSRP. The Ultimate Electronics at 84th Ave. and I-25 carries a few things, but last time I checked, they were at MSRP.

Let me know if you can find somewhere. The Camera Trader has some MF stuff, but not a great selection.
01-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was recently at a friends wedding. I will say that there wer about 4 Canon XTi/XSi type DSLRs and no Pentax cameras other than mine. The pro photographer they hired was using a Sony something.. (I didn't see the model)

I got into the DSLR hobby after playing with a friend's Canon XTi. I loved the feel of it and just using it compared to my Powershot S3. I decided to shop around for DSLRs and while the K10D was more expensive than the entry level Canon/Nikon, it simply *felt* like a better piece of photographic equipment.

The Pentax body seemed more solidly constructed (on par with the 50D) and while it is a small feature, I like the lift and turn knobs to access the battery and memory card compartments a lot more than the flimsy slide-to-unlock covers on the XTi/D40. Let's not even talk about how much better the Pentax viewfinder is.

People buy products because they are advertised and easily accessible which is why I saw everyone at the wedding holding a Canon.

Entry-level DSLR cameras are aimed at people who want more than a simple P&S, not people with a collection of lenses that they are worried about compatibility with. I know that the K200D isn't *quite* as nice or solid as the K20D, but if you can somehow get the people who stroll into the big box store and snap up Canon to at least look at the Pentax line, I think sales will improve. I know that when I went to buy a Canon I walked out with the Pentax.
01-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
About 10 years ago I saw a news item reporting that Sony had on-hand cash reserves greater than the five largest U.S. Banks....combined.
Unfortunately for sony that isn't the case any more. They are experiencing HUGE operating losses in the current global economy and with how the current exchange rates with the yen becoming more powerful. They are hurting and having to lay off thousands of workers...
01-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman Quote
(snip) I know that there is going to be a lot of pulling back in many industries and I can't begin to speculate on why things look dire right now but as many here have said Pentax needs to actively stay in this market or they will be pushed out.

The situation is not particularly sobering to me. Local camera stores, first facing competition from the internet and now an overall market downturn, have been cutting back on inventory, or just going out of business entirely, for a good number of years now. And, given the advertsing budget of Pentax compared to the behemoths in the industry (such as Sony), it's not overly surprising Pentax products would be amongst that inventory cut back.

Finally, the #3 spot in market share in Japan, below Canon and Nikon, changes each and every year depending on the latest product release - last year Pentax with the K10D, this year Sony, and next year someone else. In other words, no single company has a lock on that market share position at this point. But, even if that were not the case, market share doesn't really bother me since there are camera companies doing well financially without any significant market share at all. The greater concern (something Minolta screwed up) is how the company is handling it's finances and budget (profits and losses), which Pentax seems to be handling reasonably well at this point.

stewart

EDIT: Hopefully this message will not appear twice. First attempt at sending ended in an error, so posted again after waiting several minutes to see if it would show up.
01-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
Poor/lack of advertising is the Achilles heel for Pentax. As the saying goes, "you have to spend money to make money" (snip)

True perhaps to a certain point. But one also has to be realistic. A single full-page ad in a single national magazine can easily run a thousand dollars. Given that, a single print ad compaign (several full-color, full-page, ads in multiple magazines running over several months) in each of the major Pentax markets (North America, Europe, Asia, etc) could cost several hundred million dollars, with a single television ad compaign in each of those same markets costing several times that.

In other words, to run the type of advertising campaign some Pentax users seem to want and expect, Pentax would have to spend more for advertising alone than the company's entire operating budget - which will most certainly drive the company into bankruptcy.

There is no quick fix to magically raise Pentax to the same level as either Canon or Nikon, regarding market share, profits, or advertising budgets. In this turbulent market today, Pentax obviously must take a slow, cautious, strategic, approach to both remain in business and grow. That means spending money only when and where it will do the most long-term good. Extravagant ad compaigns just don't fit that reality.

stewart
01-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The irony here is the OP is in Colorado. Perhaps he could just take a day or so and go down to Golden and try out Ned's Leica.
01-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Market share is rarely about quality. Witness Beta vs. VHS, Mac vs. Windows, etc. Lots of factors play into it, and advertising dollars are a huge part, especially with electronic gadgets. Most dSLRs are not bought by enthusiasts.
And Sony won recently with Blu-ray. The quality of toshiba was supposed to be better, but who had the bigger wallet.....