Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2023, 10:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PetaPixel: Instax is More Than 50% of Fujifilm’s Imaging Business

Instax is More Than 50% of Fujifilm?s Imaging Business and is Still Growing | PetaPixel

QuoteQuote:
In July, an analysis of Fujifilm’s 2022 financials revealed that Instax-related products accounted for a majority of Fujifilm’s consumer imaging segment which had sales of 266.9 billion yen in 2022, an increase of 22% over the previous year. This segment accounts for 65% of the sales in the entire Consumer Imaging division, which includes all of Fujifilm’s cameras including Instax.

12-07-2023, 10:22 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Instax is an incredibly fun format and I am very happy to see it succeed. It's also a very handy platform for outsourcing photographic duties at family functions to young kids, much to everyone's delight.
12-08-2023, 01:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of these customers may be primed to move on to 35mm or other formats! I guess that's a good thing.
12-08-2023, 02:07 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

now we can start guessing the number of units sold in both segments

65% of 266.9 billion yen => instax average price (80 .. 100€) => sold units

35% of 266.9 billion yen => other Fuji camera's average price (2500 average? from range 1000...5000€) => sold units

Even when it is rough guessing, the INSTAX numbres will be overwhelming compared to the other camera's .... about 50x times more INSTAX than all other camera's?
(price gap is 25x and segment% is 2x in my assumptions).

(PS: you need to do the math yourself with your assumptions for the final sold numbers , as I can not claim to produce an accurate number....I avoided to put the numbers).

12-08-2023, 02:52 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What I find interesting about this is that Instax film isn't exactly cheap, and image quality is rather "lo-fi". I bought an Instax 210 back when it first came out in 2009 (I still have it in one of my storage boxes). It was big, bulky, ugly and plasticky (though quite solid), and I think I got through maybe three films and never used it again - for precisely those reasons. I wonder how many folks actively buy more film after the novelty of the first couple of packs wears off?
12-08-2023, 03:41 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
What I find interesting about this is that Instax film isn't exactly cheap, and image quality is rather "lo-fi". I bought an Instax 210 back when it first came out in 2009 (I still have it in one of my storage boxes). It was big, bulky, ugly and plasticky (though quite solid), and I think I got through maybe three films and never used it again - for precisely those reasons. I wonder how many folks actively buy more film after the novelty of the first couple of packs wears off?
I think the big thing is that the Fuji makes a huge amount per sale on the film. It looks like a pack of film on Amazon (10 shots) is 20 dollars. What do you think the cost to manufacture it is? 3 or 4 dollars?

I do think it is more of a novelty item -- something that shows up at parties and wedding receptions and things like that, but clearly lots of people purchase it. On the other hand, while we are interested in digital cameras, the amount of money in R and D and producing the next big thing means that the profit generated per camera is much lower.

(I don't imagine that Fuji spends much money at all on R and D for the Instax line of film/cameras.)
12-08-2023, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
Some of these customers may be primed to move on to 35mm or other formats! I guess that's a good thing.
I hear ya, but I’m not too sure about this. I think it’s the instant results that are the selling point for instax. 35mm development time delay may not satisfy that itch.

12-08-2023, 05:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect that many are bought for events, then kids. Kids can lose interest pretty fast and put it on the shelf, though there will always be some that maintain interest and move up to better gear. But the same can be said for expensive cameras too. I know a lot of people that have dslrs sitting in their closets, most never took the time to learn how to use them. The number of Canon Rebels with under 5000 actuations sitting in closets must be staggering.
12-08-2023, 07:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thix2112 Quote
I hear ya, but I’m not too sure about this. I think it’s the instant results that are the selling point for instax. 35mm development time delay may not satisfy that itch.
I agree with you on this point. We have one of those cameras and younger kids like the instant result to see and hold. As they get older, digital photos on the phone become more prominent and they can instantly share them.
12-08-2023, 08:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I agree with you on this point. We have one of those cameras and younger kids like the instant result to see and hold. As they get older, digital photos on the phone become more prominent and they can instantly share them.
Concur. I do have a standard and square instax printer to instantly print from my cameras-Pentax, Fuji X100T and iPhone. Good compromise between quality of photos and instax camera convenience. And yes I do have a couple of instax cameras too
12-08-2023, 08:36 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Judging by the number of Instax cameras on ShopGoodwill and GoodwillFinds, not many.
12-08-2023, 09:20 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

. I think it’s the instant results that are the selling point for instax.
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
younger kids like the instant result to see and hold. As they get older, digital photos on the phone become more prominent and they can instantly share them.
I agree with the first comment, but no the second. the age twenty-somethings I associate with use their cellphone cameras and social media for selfies and group shots, but they also like to use the Insta-X for tangible images they can hold, share, tape to their walls, etc.
12-09-2023, 07:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

image quality is rather "lo-fi"
There is a segment of the market, artists, who embrace the camera because it is very "lo-fi." Many photographers have explored the creative avenues presented by Polaroids from its earliest days. The Diana toy camera was very popular in the 1970s. The Friends of Photography curated an exhibition and published a catalog titled "The Diana Show: Pictures Through a Plastic Lens." Pinhole photography is another lo-fi option, one that I enjoyed exploring in the 1990s. One year a friend and I took a trip from the American midwest to the southwest. As I prepared for the trip I thought, "Most photographers go to the southwest with view cameras and shoot black-and-white film. I'm taking a pinhole camera and shooting color." I used 4x5 Polaroid Type 55 (which produced an instant print and a negative) for my black-and-white pinhole photographs. For color I used a Fuji sheet film. Reciprocity issues for color instant prints exceed the useable range and produced ugly results with pinhole's very long exposures.

Last edited by EssJayEff; 12-09-2023 at 09:23 AM. Reason: punctuation, typo
12-09-2023, 08:57 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
There is a segment of the market, artists, who embrace the camera because it is very "lo-fi." Many photographers have explored the creative avenues presented by Polaroids from its earliest days. The Diana toy camera was very popular in the 1970s. The Friends of Photography curated an exhibition and published a catalog titled The Diana Show: Pictures Through a Plastic Lens." Pinhole photography is another lo-fi option, one that I enjoyed exploring in the 1990s. One year a friend and I took a trip from the America midwest to the southwest. As I prepared for the trip I thought, "Most photographers go to the southwest with view cameras and shoot black-and-white film. I'm taking a pinhole camera and shooting color." I used 4x5 Polaroid Type 55 (which produced an instant print and a negative) for my black-and-white pinhole photographs. For color I used a Fuji sheet film. Reciprocity issues for color instant prints exceed the useable range and produced ugly results with pinhole's very long exposures.
Sure, I get the attraction of "lo-fi"... It was my first experience with film photography in the early-to-mid noughties, shooting with a Lomo LC-A, Vivitar Ultra Wide and Slim, Holga and Diana (among others). I still use the Vivitar today, and will probably get around to using the Holga and Diana again. I guess I just didn't fall in love with the Instax kind of lo-fi. I certainly didn't fall in love with the big lump of a camera
12-09-2023, 02:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

True…gratification eh!