Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by speedoo Quote
Thanks for posting. Amazing images. I like them all but I think the hallway shot is my favorite. Somewhere in Paris?
It was shot at the Hotel Meurice in Paris.

Ben

02-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Nice shots!

Her name is dangerously close to being suited for a Bond movie though...
02-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Ben, flipping back and forth between your un-retouched photo and the final version, I can see that although you changed the tonality of the photo and did a little PP on the actress, your lighting is amazingly consistent. Every shadow, highlight and nuance is preserved. This bespeaks of amazing vision during execution.

Pingflood -- I had to do a double-take on the name several times as well.

Lovely set.

Adam
02-04-2009, 05:40 AM   #19

Ben, what kind of agreement do you normally have with your client when you do fashion photography like this? I mean, you seem to have no problem posting the photos here before they appear in the magazine? Is that OK with them? Is this the way it normally works....that the photographer owns the rights to the photos and can do what ever he wants with them or do you have different aggreements for each assignment you do?

A friend of mine is a fashion designer and she hired a photographer to take pictures for her website. She then found some of those pictures on the photographers website. She was more than a little upset when she saw that the photos used were some of the ones she had rejected because they didn't show her products in the best way. She emailed the photographer and asked him to remove the pictures but he just arrogantly replied that he had every right to use them as he wanted.

I guess he was right about his rights if they didn't have a contract saying that he couldn't do this, but wouldn't it be wiser to listen at least a little to your clients?
I don't remember if timing was an issue here but if you got the assignment to shoot marketing pictures of the new Pentax K30D (or whatever the next camera will be), you would get strict rules not to walk directly from the shoot and post them here, right? For a fashion designer or magazine owner it probably wouldn't be just as important to keep the pictures a secret but I guess there still must be a lot of times when timing and/or quality of photos posted elsewhere matters or is it always just left to the photographer to decide?

/Tommy

02-04-2009, 06:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommy Quote
Ben, what kind of agreement do you normally have with your client when you do fashion photography like this? I mean, you seem to have no problem posting the photos here before they appear in the magazine? Is that OK with them? Is this the way it normally works....that the photographer owns the rights to the photos and can do what ever he wants with them or do you have different aggreements for each assignment you do?

A friend of mine is a fashion designer and she hired a photographer to take pictures for her website. She then found some of those pictures on the photographers website. She was more than a little upset when she saw that the photos used were some of the ones she had rejected because they didn't show her products in the best way. She emailed the photographer and asked him to remove the pictures but he just arrogantly replied that he had every right to use them as he wanted.

I guess he was right about his rights if they didn't have a contract saying that he couldn't do this, but wouldn't it be wiser to listen at least a little to your clients?
I don't remember if timing was an issue here but if you got the assignment to shoot marketing pictures of the new Pentax K30D (or whatever the next camera will be), you would get strict rules not to walk directly from the shoot and post them here, right? For a fashion designer or magazine owner it probably wouldn't be just as important to keep the pictures a secret but I guess there still must be a lot of times when timing and/or quality of photos posted elsewhere matters or is it always just left to the photographer to decide?

/Tommy
Berne convention 1987 or is tha '86. I own the rights to the images, unless I license the client to usage for a said period. The rights always revert back to the original artist after the said period. The artist may use those images for non-commercial promotion of him/herself as well, via exhibits etc. Vahina has no problem nor does Spring magazine, as they know it is good PR for them as well..One more thing, they trust my good sense.
02-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Berne convention 1987 or is tha '86. I own the rights to the images, unless I license the client to usage for a said period. The rights always revert back to the original artist after the said period. The artist may use those images for non-commercial promotion of him/herself as well, via exhibits etc. Vahina has no problem nor does Spring magazine, as they know it is good PR for them as well..One more thing, they trust my good sense.
Ok! So it is not very common that a client wants to specify what pictures can be shown and what pictures that you more or less have to delete? Do they have this legal possibility if that was the case? I guess anything can be written in a contract, but have you ever heard of it?
02-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommy Quote
Ok! So it is not very common that a client wants to specify what pictures can be shown and what pictures that you more or less have to delete? Do they have this legal possibility if that was the case? I guess anything can be written in a contract, but have you ever heard of it?
All contracts can be customized.

Last edited by benjikan; 02-05-2009 at 04:29 AM.
02-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Ben, I was particularly impressed with your interplay of tonality and perspective in the hallway shot. Thanks for sharing and teaching us so much!
02-05-2009, 04:41 AM   #24

my vote is for the ladder/chandleir shot ... nice stuff ... very nice ...
02-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #25

I'm not a fan of this kind of lighting, but I'm still impressed by the quality of these photos.

Composition, mood, camera angle, exposure: they're all great!

And the art direction, the set, the clothes, the hair and the make-up are all pro-level stuff.

Very nice work, there. I really like the 4th and 5th pictures. Dramatic, moody... Kudos!

Keep posting.
02-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
I'm not a fan of this kind of lighting, but I'm still impressed by the quality of these photos.

Composition, mood, camera angle, exposure: they're all great!

And the art direction, the set, the clothes, the hair and the make-up are all pro-level stuff.

Very nice work, there. I really like the 4th and 5th pictures. Dramatic, moody... Kudos!

Keep posting.
Thanks, appreciated!

Ben
02-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Ben, flipping back and forth between your un-retouched photo and the final version, I can see that although you changed the tonality of the photo and did a little PP on the actress, your lighting is amazingly consistent...

Adam
I'm curious to see the un-retouched photos... am I blind or is there a link someone could provide???

Thanks!
02-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Post #5

Here.
02-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Post #5

Here.

Ah, thank you.
02-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
I'm curious to see the un-retouched photos... am I blind or is there a link someone could provide???

Thanks!
Most of the retouch is skin and hair oriented. These might be huge posters one day and as a result were retouched with a lot of scrutiny.

Ben