Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #31
Forum Member

Hey, i've been there. My friend asked me to shoot his brother's weddings because i had a good camera (400D) and experience (6 months) =D=D I don't want to remember that day. Oh and kit lens!

Even though the pics weren't too good I will do it again. It's really fun but you really got to have some good lenses and flashes.

06-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSwans Quote
I've been approached by someone to photograph their wedding. This is not what I do. What I am familiar with is photographing children, families, newborns and maternity using natural light only.

My only concern is at the reception when the light is crappy. I do have flash but hardly use it. I have used it to bounce of ceiling but what do you do when the ceiling is very high?

It is very probable that your friend knows you dont shoot weddings and they are looking for a 'portfolio shooter'. There is lots of [poor] advice out there for brides that will say to not hire a pro, hire a beginner...and save money on the budget.
It is terrible advice for a bride if she has the money and just wants to cut corners, but if you friend truly can't afford 3-5 thousand for a photog, then just be honest.

Let her know that you dont specialize in weddings, and what your weaknesses are. If you are going to make a buck or two off of it then don't forget to talk about what your strengths are.

google wedding day shot list
06-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #33
Inactive Account

I was reading some responses in this old thread and nodding my head.

This past Saturday, I was asked to be the secondary photog for a friend's wedding.
Just candids and some shots of the groomsmen getting ready and what-not since the primary photog would be with the bride.
Nothing too important, no ceremony shots, so at least I wasn't under any pressure.
It was just a favor for a friend.

I get to the wedding and the primary photog is a young girl with a decent camera (Canon XTi)....and the kit lens. She was using flash (on camera, pop-up) in large room during the ceremony. I doubt it helped much.
I had my laptop with me so that I could check out my photos and make sure my settings were decent and she was asking me questions about post processing, burning discs, etc.
Wanted to know how well I liked my Pentax since her local camera store pushes them over the other brands and she thinks there is some things wrong with her camera anyway.

She was an absolute doll, really. I liked her a lot.
I hope her pics turned out well. I think I got some decent shots.
I opened up a photobucket acct. to load the pics on so that friends and relatives could check them out from wherever they live and resized them a bit for those who are on dial-up.
All in all, it was fun. But then, I wasn't the primary, no pressure, so that made it nice.