Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good grief Stewart. You might want to go back and read that post again. I said very clearly that those were "SOME" of the possibilities. "SOME" was even capitalized! I never claimed that they were ALL of the possibilities. Besides YOUR "jail time & him out pending appeal" options can easily fit within the parameters of my #1 and #2 possibilities.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 02-24-2009 at 03:27 PM.
02-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did anyone else read Page 2 of the article linked in the OP? I can't be the only one who caught this:

QuoteQuote:
Several photographers in New York City have collected settlements in recent cases where they were wrongfully arrested.

One recent case concerned photographer Duane Kerzic, who was arrested last year by Amtrak Police while taking pictures of trains on the lower platforms of New York Penn Station.

Kerzic’s case was even the subject of a comedy sketch earlier this month on The Colbert Report. Maisel, of the NPPA, and Kerzik were both interviewed for the TV show.

The day after that segment aired, Duane Kerzic got a five-figure settlement,” Maisel says.
02-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Did anyone else read Page 2 of the article linked in the OP? I can't be the only one who caught this:
Just in case Stu missed it, and I'll highlight the big word parts:

"Several photographers in New York City have collected settlements in recent cases where they were wrongfully arrested.

One recent case concerned photographer Duane Kerzic, who was arrested last year by Amtrak Police while taking pictures of trains on the lower platforms of New York Penn Station.

Kerzic’s case was even the subject of a comedy sketch earlier this month on The Colbert Report. Maisel, of the NPPA, and Kerzik were both interviewed for the TV show.

The day after that segment aired, Duane Kerzic got a five-figure settlement,” Maisel says.

Last year, New York City settled a lawsuit with a student who was detained while working on a project to photograph every subway stop, according to The New York Times. The student, Arun Wiita, was arrested on a public sidewalk and was the subject of a lawsuit filed with support from the New York Civil Liberties Union.

In 2007, the NYPD paid a $14,000 settlement to filmmaker Rakesh Sharma, who was arrested filming on a public sidewalk near Grand Central Terminal. That case, also led by the NYCLU, led the city to draft a set of clearer rules about when permits are required for public photography and filming."

Of course this is only 3 out of probably millions of people who weren't harassed, or so the story will surely go.
02-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
lol Wheatfield... little evidence and one sided stories indeed!

02-25-2009, 05:46 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the interest of not being accused by Stewart of withholding or spinning information, I must say that I totally missed that second page and the comments about all of the settlements.
02-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Just in case Stu missed it, and I'll highlight the big word parts:

"Several photographers in New York City have collected settlements in recent cases where they were wrongfully arrested. (snip)

So what does it prove, Wheatfield? Or KrisK10D? Or MRRiley? Or, more importantly here, how does it contradict anything I've said, proving your points? We know people, not just the occasional photographer, have collected settlements when mistakes have been made. That's been occuring likely throughout all of our entire lifetimes. Likewise, we know mistakes have been and will be made. That's why police departmental polices, laws, and courts exist. I've never once denied any of this.

Instead, what I have repeatedly said is that these one-sided, limited detail, stories posted here and around the internet don't alone prove those individuals were harassed, and certainly don't prove some grand conspiracy, goal, plan, or design (by police, government, business, one or all) to harass photographers. When it comes to the individual, we need more details than these stories typically provide and really should wait for the final outcome before making any real judgements. When it comes to photographers as a whole, I don't think these isolated incidents prove anything whatsoever.

Nothing you've posted has changed my mind on this, Wheatfield. I still do not see evidence to suggest photographers are being unquely targeted (photographers are being harassed), nor evidence to suggest photographers are being increasingly subjected to arrest in relationship to their photography. A few isolated incidents, or vague stories of incidents, don't provide that evidence.

stewart

By the way, please my full name or id when referring to me, Wheatfield. I don't play around with your id in an effort to be disrespectful, so would appreciate the same simple courtesy.

Last edited by stewart_photo; 02-25-2009 at 07:50 AM.