Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Casual Photography Jobs

I was asked by a co-worker if I'd be interested in shooting her son's soccer team for pay.

Anyone here doing "casual" jobs like that? I'd love to get feedback if possible.

Thanks!

02-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #2

I do varius small thing slike that every know and again, mainly becuase as student I can undercut the mass market by some way :/

Even then, compared to part time jobs the moneys great.
02-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I know conditions are completely different in our own markets, but do you generally charge per hour? Per event? Per number of photos delivered?

QuoteOriginally posted by Pwn4g3_P13 Quote
I do varius small thing slike that every know and again, mainly becuase as student I can undercut the mass market by some way :/

Even then, compared to part time jobs the moneys great.
02-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #4

20 pounds an hour +expenses incurred

That includes a cd with 'facebook' quality images,

As for prints, I just charge 250% of what the online printers ask for,

Considering part time work is usually 5 pounds an hour it's really not bad,

02-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Forum Member

Yeah, and a pro is going to charge 3x that.

I work in the creative film, and work with contracted designers sometimes. One of our designers charges clients like 15 for each B&W sheet they have to print and $1 for each color -- this is a designer printing stuff on a Laser printer, not photo-prints.
02-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

that is the best way to start a full fledged business. if you get a loan later on, it will be considerably smaller because you have already put the business together on a smaller scale.

good luck.
02-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
Inactive Account

The first thing is to understand that contract hits are frowned on by the FBI ;-)

The second is that you will have to have signed releases from the parents of all the kids in the pictures. . .
02-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As long as you are not using the images for your own purposes and simply sell them to the team and kids, releases won't be necessary. However the idea of getting releases brings up the possibility that you could keep the images in your own stock photo library for potential sale someday. If you get commercial use releases as suggested, you would then have extra "stuff" in your portfolio.

If it's just portrait type team pictures--a sitting if you will--then the images are pretty unlikely to have secondary uses. If it's action shots, then perhaps...

02-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I was asked by a co-worker if I'd be interested in shooting her son's soccer team for pay. (snip)
QuoteOriginally posted by Sodbuster Quote
The first thing is to understand that contract hits are frowned on by the FBI ;-) (snip)

Very cute, Sodbuster.

stewart
02-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
As long as you are not using the images for your own purposes and simply sell them to the team and kids, releases won't be necessary. (snip)

Depending on the circumstances, I might disagree. The need for a release is a judgement call, dependant on who is asking (you to take the pictures), who is buying, and who is involved. For example, without a solid understanding between all parties, you're depending on the good graces of "Parents A" to not sue you for selling an image of their kid to "Parents B."

And lets not forget a possible release from the soccer league (some are business entities, with exclusive contracts with photographers) and any corporate sponsor identified on the kids uniforms.

stewart
02-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know a local photographer who does sporting events. He has a camping trailer that has been gutted out with only some desks and computer terminals. He shoots pictures of all the participants during the game or races and regularly uploads his shots and prints can be ordered right there. He does quite well with the business. He also maintains a website where prints can be ordered at a later date.
02-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I shoot sports events at least once a week. If shooting for individual sales to participants no model releases are signed. You won't have to worry about this but I keep the photos of the professional athletes seperate so there is no risk of me selling their photos to other people for profit - for that I would need a model release.

If you want to sell lots of pictures show up with a printer and print them out. Then the parents can look at the prints and you can say "if you don't buy this I'm going to shred this beautiful picture of your child." People don't like the idea of you shredding their children. Its funny but true.

If selling by the image $10-$25/photo is with the standard range. Try to price it so you're not making less than $50/hr for time spent. You'll have to match the diminishing returns of increased price with decreased sales.

If they're paying you by the hour - scratch that. Pay by the hour would not work for you in this situation. Who's going to sort and clean up the images? Its gonna be you and they won't want to pay for that time. Sell by the image. Get a smugmug account and sell them online or get a printer and sell them onsite.
02-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
Inactive Account

shooting kids sports

I shoot kids sports every weekend from the end of August to about the end of April, it will be longer this year with my kids doing more sports this spring and summer. I have in the past only used the photos to create part of a "year in review" type of video but this year I opened a website and made the pictures available to both our teams and the teams that we played this has generated traffic to the site but not as many sales as expected, if you can get paid by the hour to shoot the event then get paid per print you will be doing ok but do check what your competition is charging before setting any rates. Parents from opposing teams always seam to show intrest but when it comes to parting with their money it is a little differant story.

Try shooting a game or two and see what kind of response and sales you get then you can decide if it is worth the effort.