Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax ...the future.

Pentax has discontinued the K200D after about a year run. A buddy has one and we are out photographing a lot and he is very happy with this camera.

I'm assuming Pentax is bringing out a replacement, soon, maybe at the large photo show coming up....but I don't know .

Now Pentax has the K20D and the KM or K2000. Two DSLR's. I know they aren't competing with Nikon or Canon and therefore don't have a vast array of camera models.

But two cameras (DSLR) in the line ?

Then there's the almost non existent advertising for the past year.

I do wonder where Pentax is going. I realize we are all in tough economic times and manufacturers have to be cautious.

I have been a long term Pentax enthusiast since 1968 starting then with my first Pentax SLR, which was just the start of a lot of Pentax equipment.

When I bought my K10D, 50mm, 16-45, 55-300, 360 flash....I did so after a lot of careful thought.

I did ponder whether or not Pentax would be remaining in business...the fall of Minolta-Konica gave me much pause, wondered if Pentax would befall the same fate. I considered going into a different system, either built around a Nikon D200 or a Canon 40D.

Then in 2006/07 with the introduction of the K10D and K100D, Pentax seemed to gather momentum.

But now, I'm starting to wonder again. What's happening at Pentax ? Where will it be in the next few years.

I sure hope that I won't end up with an orphan. What do others think ?

02-24-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Pentax has discontinued the K200D after about a year run. A buddy has one and we are out photographing a lot and he is very happy with this camera.
The role of the K200 has been taken up by the K-m, i.e., a Pentax entry level DSLR.

QuoteQuote:
I'm assuming Pentax is bringing out a replacement, soon, maybe at the large photo show coming up....but I don't know .
Let's wait and see what Pentax will give us and their future plan at the PMA. There are just a few days to go!

QuoteQuote:
Now Pentax has the K20D and the KM or K2000. Two DSLR's. I know they aren't competing with Nikon or Canon and therefore don't have a vast array of camera models.

But two cameras (DSLR) in the line ?
Yes, with the limited market demand and limited production capabilities, that is what they have been doing.

QuoteQuote:
Then there's the almost non existent advertising for the past year.
Not really for where I live. Pentax is still doing much things to promote their products.

QuoteQuote:
I do wonder where Pentax is going. I realize we are all in tough economic times and manufacturers have to be cautious.
Frankly, time is very difficult, almost all Japanese gadget giants including Sony and Panasonic have reported huge loss in the last quarter, so what can Pentax (actually Hoya) do?

QuoteQuote:
I have been a long term Pentax enthusiast since 1968 starting then with my first Pentax SLR, which was just the start of a lot of Pentax equipment.
Those *were* the days.. when Pentax is the SLR market leader of Japanese SLRs..

QuoteQuote:
When I bought my K10D, 50mm, 16-45, 55-300, 360 flash....I did so after a lot of careful thought.
Me too when I bought my *ist D etc. and DA lenses and etc. but I remorsed.

QuoteQuote:
I did ponder whether or not Pentax would be remaining in business...the fall of Minolta-Konica gave me much pause, wondered if Pentax would befall the same fate. I considered going into a different system, either built around a Nikon D200 or a Canon 40D.
I finally acquired a Canon 5D.

QuoteQuote:
Then in 2006/07 with the introduction of the K10D and K100D, Pentax seemed to gather momentum. But now, I'm starting to wonder again. What's happening at Pentax ? Where will it be in the next few years.
Yes, the momentum seemed to be instantaneous.

QuoteQuote:
I sure hope that I won't end up with an orphan. What do others think ?
That's possible. But of course we do hope that they can survive and do better..
02-24-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The village idiot strikes again...
02-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm assuming that Pentax is going to be releasing two new DSLR's at PMA, which would bring the count back up to 3. I've seen Sam's Club promoting Pentax cameras recently, so their marketing isn't entirely dead yet.

02-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The sky is falling, get out quick while there's still time!!

Jason
02-24-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't understand the "concern" Pentax has really never had more than 2 bodies in production at any one time, and while perhaps they were a little more prolific in terms of upgrades in the early days *istD, DS, DS2, DL, DL2, K100, K110, K100Super all in 3 years, these were all using the same sensor, and moved forward only in areas of target market. The *istD was the only "advanced level" camera, all others were aimed at entry level.

It took 3 years to replace the *istD with the K10D, and only a year to replace the K10D with the K20D.

The OP needs to consider that not only technology has slowed in the last 5 years, but also the market is approaching saturation and the economy is going rapidly down the toilet.

The real issue is, unless they come out with a "pro body" what ever that is, and the lenses to go along with it, they only really need 2 bodies, entry level and advanced.
02-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
*yawn*

*sigh*

Aren't there enough of these threads in "news and rumors"?

02-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well..time will tell....
Finance/economical falls have always been a part of the history.
Pentax is a old camera manufactor and they have been in this situacion before, they know how to handle it...
02-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The guy at Ritz told me not to buy Pentax because they were about to go out of....hey, wait a minute!

02-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
Inactive Account

From what I've read (and being a junior member, how much can that be?) it would seem that the K200d was an oddball - too good for an entry level, upsetting to K10d owners for its price point. The KM2000 is similar I suppose to the competition's entry-level units (and thus has a lack of advantages that the K200d had). The K20d is up there and a little above the mid-range sub-pro cameras, and then above that, there is nothing.

Pentax needs (IMO) to come out with a FF pro camera, and promote it appropriately. A K20d Super to address the few issues that have arisen with it.

As a K200d owner, I'd sure like to see that to have been continued or followed on, but then it seems that instead of a K20d Super, they'd need a K30d in a higher price point to justify that.

Of course, I'm not in business, so that means my advice to them is worth, what? ;-)
02-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
The guy at Ritz told me not to buy Pentax because they were about to go out of....hey, wait a minute!

OH thats evil. But remember, they have the crackers to fall back on
02-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Not really for where I live. Pentax is still doing much things to promote their products.
RiceHigh: if you have time, could you take snapshots of this and post them here or in your blog? I'm curious what they're doing outside the US. It's almost nonexistent here
02-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
The role of the K200 has been taken up by the K-m, i.e., a Pentax entry level DSLR.

. . .
All bodies are eventually discontinued even if it takes 25 years. That said, the K200d has NOT been officially discontinued. It is still listed on the Pentax USA site and is still available through their online store.

Digital SLR Cameras - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Its status or the status of the K20d could change any day or week, but it hasn't happened yet. Furthermore, the K200d isn't exactly an entry level body. It has more advanced features than the K-m.
02-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote

Ouch!
02-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
RiceHigh: if you have time, could you take snapshots of this and post them here or in your blog? I'm curious what they're doing outside the US. It's almost nonexistent here
I have to agree with RH here. Pentax does advertise some. I do think they could do more, but it seems in line with their market share. (Now, whether or not that it enough is a good discussion as well.)

In the past year, I've seen full page Pentax ads in all the camera magazines (of course), as well as Wired Magazine and IIRC another computer magazine. Pentax has also launched their own webstore, plus a Walmart.com webstore and someone just posted that they're on Newegg.com now. In my opinion, those are all good moves since it puts Pentax in front of web savvy users and limits their exposure to B&M stores, which as we've seen are a double-edged sword.

Now, I also agree with you that Pentax could do more marketing, but I've noticed a shift in their strategy, and I think it's a good shift. They just need to do more of it.