Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shutterbug April 2009

There is a great write-up on Image Stabliization by Jon Sienkiewicz in this issue.
It's called Do You Know Your SBA? (The "Shake Begins At" Level and Image Quality)
He talks about the K20d and how much he likes it's SR.
It's a good read, I recomend it to those considering the K20d.

Jack

03-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

available online?
03-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
available online?
It's the April issue, so I doubt it'll see the internet too soon.
03-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
There is a great write-up on Image Stabliization by Jon Sienkiewicz in this issue.
It's called Do You Know Your SBA? (The "Shake Begins At" Level and Image Quality)
He talks about the K20d and how much he likes it's SR.
It's a good read, I recomend it to those considering the K20d.

Jack
Just got my copy in the mail today, I'll take a look. I still don't plan to renew since their generally anti-Pentax and the cover of this issue proves it along with accepting ads (2 pages no less) from Broadway Photo...grrrrrrrrr, the stories I could tell about these con-artist!!

03-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Just got my copy in the mail today, I'll take a look. I still don't plan to renew since their generally anti-Pentax and the cover of this issue proves it along with accepting ads (2 pages no less) from Broadway Photo...grrrrrrrrr, the stories I could tell about these con-artist!!
I didn't renew my subscription either 'coz of the above reasons and the DSLR previews aren't so in-depth that its better to just browse the net for the reviews.
I'm also ticked by the "'con artists" that are given full page ads. Touche'
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any other suggestions for a good photo magazine? I've looked at Shutterbug (B&W) issue and liked it. But it sounds like they don't have a good reputation for advertizers (I know about Broadway etc) I do most of my research online but I occasionally like something to take to the 'library'.
03-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Jon Sienkiewitz also wrote a great blog some months past about the ergonomics of the K20D. He mentioned that he always had a hard time with new cameras until he got used to using them after a period of time but the K20D was first camera he felt comfortable with right from the begining. Scroll back about a year on his Shutterbug blogs on the website.

03-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Any other suggestions for a good photo magazine? I've looked at Shutterbug (B&W) issue and liked it. But it sounds like they don't have a good reputation for advertizers (I know about Broadway etc) I do most of my research online but I occasionally like something to take to the 'library'.
I personally like Popular Photography, been reading it since I bought my first SLR (A Pentax Spotmatic F) way back in 1973. I even bought it from one of their advertisers in the back of the mag. They seem to focus more on the amateur photographer more than the professional with tons of money and probably has a studio. Everything is put into layman's terms and easy to understand. Their reviews are unbias as they will review a $80.00 point and shoot as well as a $3000 Nikon. Shutterbug seems to be paid off by Leica and Hassleblad and the usual N and C to show mostly photos taken by those cameras.

Just my 2 cents
Barry
03-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
No one forces you to read the ads from Broadway, of course, so I wouldn't discount the magzine just because they have to make a buck like everyone else. Do other magazines really reject ads from Broadway et al?

Anyhow, I like some things about Shutterbug - it's covers an interestingly quirky mix of topics from the latest DSLR cameras, Photoshop plug-ins, and other reasonably high-end "digital" stuff, to classic film cameras, the latest rangefinder and medium format gear, etc, with little or no space devoted to P&S cameras and "beginner" oriented articles. On the other hand, given the range of topics covered, I can't say the *depth* of coverage is particularly impressive. DSLR reviews in particular are pretty fluffy, and they tend to be much further behind the times than dpreview, Steve's, etc.

I can't say I see any particular anti-Pentax bias. Certainly not in the reviews, although I suppose in the "technique" oriented articles, I suppose there is an assumption by many authors when discussing the lenses most appropriate to a given task that everyone shoots C&N (and that they all use Photoshop for PP).
03-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
No one forces you to read the ads from Broadway, of course, so I wouldn't discount the magzine just because they have to make a buck like everyone else. Do other magazines really reject ads from Broadway et al?

Anyhow, I like some things about Shutterbug - it's covers an interestingly quirky mix of topics from the latest DSLR cameras, Photoshop plug-ins, and other reasonably high-end "digital" stuff, to classic film cameras, the latest rangefinder and medium format gear, etc, with little or no space devoted to P&S cameras and "beginner" oriented articles. On the other hand, given the range of topics covered, I can't say the *depth* of coverage is particularly impressive. DSLR reviews in particular are pretty fluffy, and they tend to be much further behind the times than dpreview, Steve's, etc.

I can't say I see any particular anti-Pentax bias. Certainly not in the reviews, although I suppose in the "technique" oriented articles, I suppose there is an assumption by many authors when discussing the lenses most appropriate to a given task that everyone shoots C&N (and that they all use Photoshop for PP).
I agree with Marc here. I haven't seen a Pentax bias here, and in fact, I think they're pretty good about promoting Pentax whenever Pentax has something to push.

As for the ads, they ALL take advertising from the scammers. If they didn't, there wouldn't be much advertising to go around. (OT-Why does photography attract an inordinate amount of scummy scammers? I've never really run into this with my other purchasing habits, but photography seems to attract the worst of the worst in terms of retailers.)
03-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #11

The part about the magazine that bothered me wasn't the fact that they were "anti-pentax" or anything of the sort. I don't really care if an editorial hates my gear because it works for me and there's nothing more I could want then that. I cancelled the subscription (which I only had because I was trying to help out a young family friend w/ a fundraiser) simply because it's a very poor photography publication. About 60% of the magazine is ads and the rest is mostly focused on gear rather than photography (blah blah, it's a cliche point but it deserves mention). I think in this day and age its really silly making a photography magazine around gear since this information can easily be found with far more detail online. All of the things that Marc mentions fall into this, it's all readily available information.

Ironically, I think the best magazines for photography are those that don't advertise themselves as containing photography. I've seen some great photography in a British DIY music magazine called "Plan B" for instance.

Anyways, how was the shake reduction test? :P
03-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't know, if anybody here knows or reads Professional Photographer from the UK. They had a review of the K10 in the past and then a go at the K20, later. Interestingly, the K10 came better off, as it introduced some huge advancement over the previous istDx series. You can read these reviews online:

Pentax K10D review

and

Pentax K20D DSLR: Review

Though I do not agree with all the reviews and findings ProPhot publishes, I find their reviews quite interesting - but strongly written from a Nikon-centric viewpoint.

Ben
03-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I received my issue of Shutterbug this week and was reading the 'SBA' article this morning.

I did not renew my subscription to Shutterbug either. I expires this June after having it for 2 years. I can't say my decision was based on any specific issue but that I just don't seem to get a lot out of it for my type of photography. There are articles I do enjoy out of each issue but it hardly justifies the cost or commitment of a subscription. I might still buy it if I am at a news stand.

That said, I recently submitted 3 pictures for the "Picture This!" feature of the magazine. It's for the July 2009 issue so I'll have to check it out when the time comes. There is nothing to be gained but the notoriety of having your picture in an international photography magazine. Come to think of it, that would be pretty cool!
03-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I get what I can get in Photo Mags, and the only two on the newsstands here are PP and Shutterbug so there isn't much to read while on the throne. I just renewed my sub. for 3 more years, now I hope I live that long to read them.
03-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
(OT-Why does photography attract an inordinate amount of scummy scammers? I've never really run into this with my other purchasing habits, but photography seems to attract the worst of the worst in terms of retailers.)
Try furniture. Mattresses, in particular. Jewelry, anything big-ticket that it might take some knowledge to pick up on a problem, really.