Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #31
Inactive Account

I choose Pentax as I already had some Pentax gear, film body and lenses. It was the easiest way for me to go digital so I bought an *istDs then later a K20D.
I have considered adding a full frame camera but still keeping my Pentax gear. With all my M42 lenses the obvious choice would be a Canon 5D. But then I left Canon years ago when they droped their FD lens mount (I still have and use my F1).
Douglas Film

03-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More bang for the buck, simple as that !!
03-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
More bang for the buck, simple as that !!
Yep, that was one of the main reasons for me. I was looking for a small, cheap, easy to use, good camera. The K-m got my attention and I was also considering the K200D. I read a lot of reviews of entry level DSLRs, spec sheets, test photos, photo albums. Fortunately local photo websites and magazines just did "let's compare entry level DSLRs of different brands" reviews at that time and Pentax was the winner in all of them. Simply Pentax offered the same or better quality, but for less money (considering body, lenses, accessories) - more bang for the buck which was/is important to me as I can't and not willing to spend a lot of money on this. So after a lot of hesitation between K200D and K-m I finally bought the latter. So far I'm very satisfied and also like the community here
03-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Bang for Euro in my case. There was no other camera in that price range with the mix of features of the K200D. Want easy, shoot automatic, want pro, choose M. Shake reduction works. Sum up how many € you save each time you buy a lens without stabilisation in it. You can gather up a nice collection of primes for low prices (well... that used to be the case). Very nit community behind Pentax, always helping out. The canon 20-30-40D was a better fit in my hands, but a battery grip changed that, and the balance is better too. I really have no negative points except for the limited burst you have. For the price, there is no better deal on the market. The same goes for K20D

03-05-2009, 05:36 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chhayanat Quote
From what I had read, no Pentax DSLR could approach the MX viewfinder for brightness, and I didn't think the MX viewfinder very bright in the first place. Consequently, the pentaprism vs. pentamirror faded away in favour of the K200d. It was also considerably cheaper than the K20d and I did'nt think that 14.5 megapixels were worth paying the premium for. I also chose the 16-45 f4 DA lens over the dearer DA* 16-50mm f2.8 for the same reason.
Sounds like good logic to me. Though I must say that the extra pixels on the K20D are a godsend when it comes to cropping in for a close-up, however. In fact I carry a macro lens a lot less now.
03-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #36
Pentaxian

• Image quality (colours and exposure)
  • Build quality
  • Ergonomics
  • Value for money
  • In-body shake reduction
  • backward lens compatibiliy
  • AA batteries
The enthusiasm found in reviews like this one helped me to make the right choice.

I was turned of by the D40's lack of an AF motor, Spartan features and its super cheap kit lens, and the tiny size of the Canon entry models and their awful kit lenses.
03-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Somewhat due to ignorance and accident... Really, I didn't see any meaningful difference (as a hobbyist) between the big 2 and Pentax and got fed up trying to save money for a C or N.

... so I guess you could say value and the fact that I could pick up old Pentax lenses and use it on the dSLR was appealing (even though I came from a Minolta background).

No regrets and now that I know better, I'll try harder to stick with Pentax

03-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
(I prefer the cutaway window on the K, M and FA/DA limiteds).

I do figure that's helpful as a dust shield, but something that doesn't actually grab my hair in careless moments is also OK. Maybe they could round that off.
03-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #39
Veteran Member

k100d stabilized, aa using, 6 mp, small primes
03-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #40

My mom always had her old Pentax ME 35mm.

So when I came across getting a DSLR, I knew Pentax was a quality brand, and had a great reputation.

Plus all the old lenses that are compatible with the new body's is just awesome, seeing those old lenses are absolute quality glass.

-Isaac
03-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #41

To be different.
03-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #42
Veteran Member

A bit over a year ago, I started serious research for a move from PNS to dSLR. I started ordering my priorities - I thought, "What do I really miss that my Sony DSC-V1 and -W7 can't do?" Higher resolution, low-light performance... but I finally settled on WIDE ANGLE, as I tired of Autostitching panoramas. I checked out the ultrawide offerings for dSLRs, quickly scratching N&C off the list because of price. That left Olympus and Pentax, but Oly cams got various bad ratings.

I also considered resolution, assuming that anything in the 8mp-12mp range would be a target for upgrading and replacement sooner, not later. So I focused on Pentax, found nothing but rave reviews (and user ratings) for the K20D. The more I read, the better it looked, especially with the trove of legacy lenses available. So off went my order, and in came the K20D, DA 10-17, DA 18-250, and FA 50/1.4. It's been all downhill since then.

So what brought me to Pentax? The right lens, the right performance, the right price, and the corporate reputation and legacy. Having something more distinctive than Yet Another Canikonypus didn't hurt, either. And where am I now? One body, 80+ lenses to put on it... I'll have to start selling the excess when I get back stateside, in a few months. Hey, I'm only traveling with about 50 lenses. Hope I can get by.
03-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #43
Inactive Account

I wanted a camera that was inexpensive,compact, used AA batteries and would allow me to grow into it. The K-m had all of the above. By buying into the Pentax system, there's a multitude of lenses available to me if I ever got LBA. When Pentax released the limited edition white K-m, it was a no-brainer. Also, I got a Pentax to be different.
03-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #44
Inactive Account

I started with a Pentax MX in 1978 that I still use.
To bifferent from canikon people.
Bye
03-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #45
Forum Member

• Bang for the Buck
  • Weather Sealing
  • Build Quality
No, I would not consider switching brands as that would entail nullifying all of the above. And besides, I LOVE my K200D!