Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #46
Forum Member

When it came time to buy my first SLR I had no existing preferences, as I was using a borrowed Agfaflex IV (or was it a V?) at the time. The Pentax MV in the "used" case at the camera store was the affordable choice for me at age 17, and as an all-black camera it was a real eyecatcher. Even though the MV is aperture-preferred and pretty basic, I liked it enough to stick with Pentax when I bought my next camera...and the next one...and the one after that...

I wouldn't mind getting ahold of an old Agfa for sentimental reasons, though.

Brad

03-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
logical step up from Canon and Nikon. Next stop is Medium Format
03-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #48

I wanted to use NiMH AAs. DSLR options? K200D, that's it (or was when I was buying). Specs and reviews were satisfactory, so I bought it and am very happy.

Also, I asked one of my friends advice on buying a DSLR and he said that no one who knows anything uses anything other than Canon/Nikon. That irritated me, so I was pleased to do the opposite of what he said.
03-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #49

I held a K10D in my hands and it was all over. The Limited lenses had a little bit to do with the choice, too.................

03-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #50
Inactive Account

Pentax "thinks" more like a human - Canon more like a machine - and Nikon somewhere in between.
03-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was given a K1000 with an M50/2 and an ultra-cheap telezoom back in the mid '90s. If I had the money to upgrade I probably would have switched to a Nikon F80 in high school but that didn't happen, a complete system was more than I could justify spending at the time.

Instead, years later and after waiting through several generations of digital bodies for a price/performance tradeoff I was willing to live with the K10d came along and its ability to work with older film lenses was enough to convince me to get one. Now I generally buy lenses that will work with both my film body and my digital body.
03-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went from using my sisters point and shoot to a Pentax K200d in a matter of months after trying out my neighbors K100d. Not long after using it, I decided i wanted an SLR and after much research I concluded that the K200d was and is in my opinion the best entry level DSLR in the market today. I couldn't be more happy with my purchase

I have three fellow photographers as friends and neither have ever heard of pentax before I got mine. One's a Nikonian, and the other a Canonite. Let the battles begin

03-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #53

International warranty.
03-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #54
Forum Member

My dad!!! =D

Who knew, the saying... parents do know what is best for you... is well true.
03-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #55

Used alot of time

I used alot of time before choosing the K20D..alot..and i am going to use Pentax..i like the qualityfeeling...and the rough build.

Weather Sealing

Build Quality (metal inside not plastic fantastic nikon/canon)

Bang for the Buck

Lenses (only leica/Zeiss can top Pentaxlenses i think)

In Norway u only find this brand at online webshops... In my town u cant buy Pentax, only Canon, Nikon and Sony. Lucky me i used alot of time online and i found the K20D (wolf).
03-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #56

My decision confirmed

I happened to have a look at my daughter's friend's Sony A200 this week and was a wee bit shocked at the plastic feel of the body and it was then I knew I had made the right decision with the K10D
03-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #57
PDL
Pentaxian

I did not choose Pentax - it was more or less chosen for me:

I had my 3 35mm film SLR's stolen and the insurance company gave me enough money to buy one (1) camera. I went to the local Tall's Camera with my insurance form (they recommended the store) and asked what I could get for $xxx.xx dollars. The guy sold me a Pentax SF-1 with a Tokina 28-70mm macro zoom. I did have some history with Pentax, my cousin had gone through a correspondence school on photography using a spotmatic and my father had just purchased a K1000 a few years earlier. I knew about the quality of the brand.

I found a *istDs at Costco when I had signed up for a NG photography workshop. Since I still had the SF-1 and Tokina lens - that would give me a DSLR and two (2) lenses to take with me to the workshop. I was one of three (3) users of Pentax out of twenty two (22) participants. However, the class was more image oriented (thank heavens) than equipment. The most common comments about my images referenced the quality and colors captured.

When the *istDs and my K10D were stolen and the insurance company was willing to "replace" the devices, I could have chosen any brand. I chose a K20D and I have not been disappointed. I was really lucky since the Police recovered the *istDs and the K10D (the SF-1 and the 50mm f1.4 are still MIA) - so now I have three (3) Pentax bodies with enough lenses to last me a while.

So, I did not pick Pentax - Pentax sort of picked me.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
http://pdlanumimages.shutterfly.com/
My Shot - National Geographic Magazine
PDLanum Images
PENTAX Photo Gallery
03-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I had my mind set for Canon 450D. Seemed like big deal that time, plus my friend was using one.
Went to the shop to test the market, and the salesman told me he has one K200D. (obviously he was trying to get rid of it).
After days of fiddling I was oscillating between these two. Went back to the shop, to do a side by side comparison.
And BOW! the difference:
-in weight (i find it very explicit argument); Canon is 200 grams ligter. Even the mirror box and structure is "high strength engineering plastic". cheep plasic in my view(finder). Soon they'll make plastic mirrors, I guess
-in ergonomics (Canon crappy placement of buttons and the menu).
-K200d has top LCD, I use it all the time.
-weather sealing. I visited Istanbul lately, and it was raining like hell. I placed the hood over my kit lens, UV , and shoot baby... Time to time I had to get inside to remove the UV to wipe off the water. Not one problem with camera or lens.
-I got LBA. I am looking much more than before to legacy lenses. Oh, the IQ is unmatched even these days... GREEN BUTTON.

-Finally, but not at all least reason: this Forum. Really the friendliest place to be...

As a turn, my friend changed his opinion from a happy Canonite to a sore full one, seeing my pictures IQ. (And perhaps the fact I managed to gather 4 more lenses and one wide converter plus one film camera in less than 5 months).
After all, he is guilty to have supported my mind in making the less fancy-easy choice.
03-16-2009, 04:46 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to say that I started with a film *ist because of size and controls. It certainly is a lot easier to continue with the same brand when you move to digital. The biggest benefits I see with Pentax are the shake reduction in the sensor and reasonably priced, high quality optics. The downside is LBA, which really doesn't seem to effect a lot of Canon/ Nikon users.
03-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #60
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KjohnM Quote
I happened to have a look at my daughter's friend's Sony A200 this week and was a wee bit shocked at the plastic feel of the body and it was then I knew I had made the right decision with the K10D
Have you seen the Sony A900 though? Solid magnesium alloy body and all the bells and whistles with it. Weather sealed and rugged .They bit back well. lol