Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shooting Communion: What to look for?

I was shooting an event last night and I got hired by this woman to shoot her son's communion. It's just like me to take on something I know little or nothing about. I'm pretty sure the celebration/social part of it is a lot like shooting a Sweet 16, but what about the ceremony itself? Is there anything in particular I need to be on the lookout for?

The plan is to shoot some posed portraits prior to, then the actual ceremony (at the church i presume). From there it's onto the reception hall. I can handle the portrait and the reception. It's the ceremony that I'm not familiar with at all.

03-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
I was shooting an event last night and I got hired by this woman to shoot her son's communion. It's just like me to take on something I know little or nothing about. I'm pretty sure the celebration/social part of it is a lot like shooting a Sweet 16, but what about the ceremony itself? Is there anything in particular I need to be on the lookout for?

The plan is to shoot some posed portraits prior to, then the actual ceremony (at the church i presume). From there it's onto the reception hall. I can handle the portrait and the reception. It's the ceremony that I'm not familiar with at all.
I did one last year for a friend. The church is probably going to be pretty dark. If you can, talk to the priest to find out if you can use flash. Most likely not.

Get as close as you can and use your fastest long glass so you can get good exposures and minimize blur. I shot from about halfway back with a 135mm lens, and I got good full body shots of the ceremony.

The one I shot had about 10-15 kids in the ceremony.
03-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can, find another first communion service before your event and sit watch from the side. They're all pretty much the same - as long as you go to the same denomination.

To check out the light in the church where you'll shoot, go to a regular service - mine is quite bright, but where I went before there wasn't a single pane of clear glass and the aisle must have been 200 feet long.

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote

03-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I'll find out what time of the day it's taking place and scout the church for lighting.