Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #61
Veteran Member

... tell 'em you bought it at a yard sale for five bucks. They won't know which way to turn the conversation after that.

04-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
... tell 'em you bought it at a yard sale for five bucks. They won't know which way to turn the conversation after that.
Love it, Jim! Can I quote you?
04-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Love it, Jim! Can I quote you?
You just did.
04-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
"oh, that's what they had in stock when i went to buy a dslr. does it make a difference?"
That's brilliant, particularly "does it make a difference"! And sort of true for so many - I shoot Pentax because I used to borrow my dad's old Spotmatic and liked it, my friend who shoots Nikon does so because her dad has a Nikon and would loan her lenses. As for why our dads chose what they did, I don't know. Probably what was in the store...

Julie

04-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Ben confirms Julie's point...
The best Pentax has to offer now *IS* good enough - we can gain great contentment in the gear if we work on ourselves and ignore the free-flowing criticisms that are bound to come from many Canikoners.
Any DSLR made in the past five years has been good enough, and you can gain great contentment by ignoring the weak spots in the camera you are using.
04-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #66
Veteran Member

i know, those are actually realistic and very down-to-earth reasons to chose a system. they are not the only relevant reasons though (there are so many more); but my point was that, sometimes, you really need something to just make them stop in their tracks for a moment, enough for you to mind your own business, enough to break their rythm, so to speak. most people asking questions like "why the hell would anybody buy a pencraps -- oh, sorry, penfax" will expect a "fight", an answer like the above will leave them lost for a moment (or several), computing a suitable way to continue . for the smarter ones, computing will take even longer ("what the hell does he mean by "does it make a difference?", is he that bloody good [note: by this time you are already on your way] it doesn't for him, or is he that bloody stupid he can't see it does", by the time the internal crysis is solved, he has to re-start the discussion (you are already minding your own business), and the initial "hook line" did not work, so now he needs a new one, more computing. you can be miles away, shooting the sunset on a mountain top by the time they realize what hit them :-D
04-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Frankly, just let em hold it and tell em what you paid.

04-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Or tell them, "Same reason I use Suave shampoo".

(Do they still use the "Ours does what theirs does....for about half the price" slogan?)
04-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #69
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Or tell them, "Same reason I use Suave shampoo".

(Do they still use the "Ours does what theirs does....for about half the price" slogan?)
04-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #70
Veteran Member

bottled belief. wow, that's simply priceless (more better :-D in so many ways than engrish). and if that wasn't enough, they are not only bottling, they are marketing and selling that same botled belief. talk about low production costs and high profit margins
04-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #71
Inactive Account

A great camera + a great photographer = great photos
A bad camera + a great photographer = great photos (sometimes)
A great camera + a bad photographer = bad photos (almost always)
A bad camera + a bad photographer = a canikon user
04-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Just curious - which model was it?
Nothing like replying a week late to a thread, must be having a senior moment and forgetting what I posted. The Nikon I refered to was a Pronea 6i, their APS film SLR from a few years back. Yes, I was one of the suckers who bought one. There were constant problems with the auto film advance jamming. It wasn't so much that it broke but the poor service and refusal to warranty anything. It broke under warranty and I was told they discontinued the line and it couldn't be repaired unless I paid 179.00. After the third time I gave up on the camera. It left me with a very bad impression of Nikon.
04-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Nothing like replying a week late to a thread, must be having a senior moment and forgetting what I posted. The Nikon I refered to was a Pronea 6i, their APS film SLR from a few years back. Yes, I was one of the suckers who bought one. There were constant problems with the auto film advance jamming. It wasn't so much that it broke but the poor service and refusal to warranty anything. It broke under warranty and I was told they discontinued the line and it couldn't be repaired unless I paid 179.00. After the third time I gave up on the camera. It left me with a very bad impression of Nikon.
APS film cameras were such a short-lived phenomenon, I don't doubt that you had service problems. Nikon has always been "finicky" about warranty work, at least in my experience. I bought a lens while in Australia, and two months later (back in the States), the focus ring jammed. Nikon US refused to touch it, even though it was under warranty. They said I had to send it back to Australia.
04-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #74
Pentaxian

I was less upset about the camera breaking than the poor service and not honoring the warranty. Some features of the APS I liked such as being able switch film in mid roll and the wide format it offered was perfect for shooting pictures of my daughters crew racing. When it worked, I got fantastic pictures but it caused more aggravation than anything. Nikon blamed the problems on defective film cartridges but it didn't matter whether it was Fuji or Kodak, I constantly had film advance problems. I also had a cheap APS P&S I got my daughter when she was young. It was a Fuji and cost 29 bucks and never once did the film jam and probably still works so I never believed the film cartridge line they handed me.
04-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #75
Veteran Member

I don't understand why you are discussing equipement. Are your friend's photos better than yours? I've a friend who uses a 3.000$ nikon camera and another with 2.000$ canon camera and my 800$ pentax k10 photos are much better composed, more colorfull crisp and vibrant, and rarely need photoshop to correct anything. If you don't believe me, I can post some of my pictures for you to see. From my experience, I would say that the secret for great shots it's much more about the lens you are using and the choices you make with light, than the particular camera body you are using. Some people are always looking to spend more money in new cameras and never been able to master what they have in hands first place. Almost forgot to mention that I've put aside the kit lens and i ALLWAYS shoot with my old lens ( SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7, SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro, SMC Pentax-FA 80-320mm F4.5-5.6, even with the infamous SMC Pentax-FA 35-80mm F4-5.6 and with my beloved Tammy sp 90mm 2.5...

Last edited by Manel Brand; 04-18-2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: forgot to mention my "old crap" lens