Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A Letter from a Canon User to Me...

I took the liberty of posting this e-mail I received and my response:

I respect your work, Thank you for taking a moment to read.

I am a breakout photographer, about to make my living at it and I need some serious pro advice. I am tired of the Canikon wars... I shot film with Pentax LX and MX bodies, I entered the digital age with a Canon 20D in 2005, got frustrated by err99 and sold it, bought a K10D but succumbed to peer pressure by the Canikon salesman that tells me Pentax will pigeon hole me. I love Pentax glass and in body stabilizer. No matter which Canikon I own, I still want Pentax glass.

At this time I am shooting Canon 1D MKIII that needs to go to factory for defective focus mirror. I don't need 10 fps or live view, I rarely go above iso400 and I can't afford stabilized L glass.

What I do need is excellent image quality, wireless flash and the ability to focus in a low light studio environment for fashion and beauty. What is your experience with the K20D, do you make sacrifices using Pentax and can you give me any recommendation?

Thank you for your time.

Scott

Hello Scott;

Thanks for your e-mail. As you might already know, I was officially sponsored by Canon for about three years and switched to Pentax in January of 2007. I am a low iso shooter i.e. staying at approximately 100-400 iso in most cases. All of my interior work is shot with very low output selective lighting that demands good AF performance. The K20D has performed quite well under these circumstances and with the new Version 1.0.3 firmware, seems to focus more quickly. The K20D is effectively about 15 mega pixels which more than suffices for most of what I do. All of my published magazine work was done with the k10D and K20D's. Although not perfect, the Pentax in my opinion IS a professional quality camera. I say this, as I use them for my profession without hesitancy. It really depends on the use of the tool and your own specific demands. From what you have stated, it seems that the K20D would work well for your applications.

I hope this advice helps in making the right decision.

Best Wishes
Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 04-11-2009 at 03:26 AM.
04-11-2009, 04:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Great post Ben.. For Studio / Portrait & even Wedding photog work.. Pentax is very under rated IMO! As Pentax produce a very natural skin tone. What I like about Pentax is that it makes me think like I am shooting with film (:
04-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Ha! It's a no brainer to use Pentax!
04-12-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have been disappointed with my istD and K10D, using hot shoe flashes. Very inconsistant results.
For that i much prefer my D200 and SB800.

Landscapes i usually use the K10D.

Dave

04-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

To me, the only reason to want Nikon and possibly Canon is for high ISO bodies and better flash systems, especially Nikon's CLS system. But that doesn't matter if you are using studio strobes. Sounds like Pentax is what he needs, especially since he likes the glass and is budget conscious.
04-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It always amazes me that you continue to use pentax despite being no longer sponsored by Pentax.

This advice is simple and clear. Very valuable for people who are trying to pick a right product for themselves with an objective opinion.