Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PhotoShelter

Anyone out here try PhotoShelter for web-hosting your photos? I get the impression they are oriented towards photographers who are trying to reach the on-line buyers.

Here's a couple of reports they've put out that I found interesting:

Survey result regarding what Photo Buyers prefer in stock web- sites:
Photo Buyer Website Survey 2009 | PhotoShelter

Search Engine Optimization:
SEO for Photographers and Photography Websites | PhotoShelter

I found both to be very enlightening.

re-t

05-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are quite a few websites that provide this kind of service (smugmug, pictage, even Flicker Pro). I guess the biggest issues are whether they provide you with the quality of service you require and whether the price is right.

I looked at PhotoShelter and they certainly offer a lot. Their pricing is not horrendous either (PhotoShelter Pricing and Detailed Feature Descriptions | PhotoShelter).

A while back I considered Pictage as a possibility, but the more I researched, the less I liked it. It didn't help their cause that their sales person was so insistent he kept calling and calling and calling, then emailing in between, trying to get me to sign up.

For me the bonus would be the integrated online ordering. However, they do take a considerable cut. in Photoshelter's case, it's 10%.

If you sell tons, then it's worth it. If you're just selling a couple hundred a month, then perhaps not.

Lots to consider here.
05-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used to use the Photoshelter stock agency until Sept 11 2008, that's when they announced the closing of their stock agency service.

I think it's a good website but I'm still not happy about all the keywording and uploading work that disappeared after that.