Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

the magic of tilt shift

50 Beautiful Examples Of Tilt-Shift Photography | Inspiration | Smashing Magazine

its not a problem to fake this look in photoshop, but it will be nice to have a tilt shift lens for the K mount BC its truly magic

05-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get a Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm f2.8 (or, cheaper, Volna-3 80mm f2.8) with a Pentacon Six mount, and a P6->PK tilt adapter, $200-$250 on Ebay, and you're set.

Flickr: Search rawheadrex's photostream
05-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very cool stuff, thanks for sharing
05-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

many of those images are fake, any large format photographer worth his salt can spot a fake T/S image.

05-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, I think it's pretty cool, so I gave it a shot. Here's my first try at this.

Last edited by MPrince; 03-17-2016 at 02:43 PM.
05-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

For anyone interested, here's how to do this in Photoshop 7.0:

1. Open the photo you want to use in Photoshop 7. The photo should be of buildings, street with traffic, etc. For the miniature model effect, works best if you are at a higher elevation than the scene you have shot.

2. Click the Quick Mask Mode.

3. Select the Gradient tool.

4. Select Reflected Gradient. For Photoshop CS users select Cylindrical Gradient.

5. Draw a line vertically from where you want your focus to start to where you want the focus to stop.

6. Select the Standard Mask Mode.

7. Make sure the area you want in focus (to be miniaturized) is within the marching ant lines presented. If not, repeat steps 2 though 6.

8. Once you have the focus area set, from the Menu select Filter| Blur|Gaussian Blur. For Photoshop CS users select Filter| Blur|Lens Blur.

9. Set the radius somewhere between 9 and 10.5 and click OK.

10. Hit Ctrl-D to remove the marching ants.

11. Boost saturation and contrast as desired. Boosting saturation enhances the miniaturization illusion.

Last edited by MPrince; 05-15-2009 at 07:01 AM.
05-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Get a Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm f2.8 (or, cheaper, Volna-3 80mm f2.8) with a Pentacon Six mount, and a P6->PK tilt adapter, $200-$250 on Ebay, and you're set.

Flickr: Search rawheadrex's photostream
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
many of those images are fake, any large format photographer worth his salt can spot a fake T/S image.
Agreed on both..."one of these days" I'll get a P6 lens and adapter (they're all bookmarked for easy reference )...

Fake images are meh...maybe I'm "old school" at 24 years of age but I don't like fake pictures...

05-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Am I the only one who fells that using tilt-shift to fake miniatures is an overdone meme that could die already?
05-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
Am I the only one who fells that using tilt-shift to fake miniatures is an overdone meme that could die already?
Absolutely not the only one.

Only application (IMO) is that people might like the images and would be inclined to buy them...
05-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote

Fake images are meh...maybe I'm "old school" at 24 years of age but I don't like fake pictures...
If you mean fake by having some sort of PP on the picture. I bet I can show you thousand classic pictures of modern time that you LOVE and are "fake".

Photoshop is a tool just like a lens or a lens filter there is no different in the "fakeness" in my opinion.
I am adding shadows/ blurs/ changing colors and so on almost in every picture of mine... I am not the greatest photoshop artist yet nor the greatest photographer.

but I am very much pro "fakeness" . if nature did not give you the shadow you like on your picture paint it in PS ... what ever you need to make you vision happen
05-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Post-processing is different than fake. Fake takes post-processing to a surreal, unnatural, and irreverant level.

A "photograph" to me equals a representation of what you see. Altering it with PS makes it "yours" but also makes it "un-real." If something's not the way I want it and can't be done with traditional techniques, then I don't bother...the image is what it is.

Lenses and filters are nothing like PS.
05-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I reckon your not in to fashion photography.

I see your point thou.. I agree since I am not a professional and I shoot mostly out side.
I always wish for a picture to work strait out of the camera but only about 5% of them do. the rest I usually end up changing adding destroying and so on.

now since PS is a relatively a new thing you can compeer it to developing in traditional film.
but PS also let you add lens filters and lens effect or add and paint completely new things that did not exist in reality when you took the picture.

this is a new thing or an old thing. if you ever seen old pictures from the 30's they used to paint on the print all the time.

or you can go extreme like Pierre and Gilles
Pierre et Gilles - Google Image Search
05-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

For me, I guess part of it stems from sucking at PhotoShop I have ideas...the picture looks good inside PS...then it gets uploaded and looks different.

Then the other part is I don't like to see things that are clearly PS'd. Like...adding a polarizer effect in PS looks...PS'd. There's no way around it. Film looks like film...a digital shot made to look like film is still an obvious digital picture.

Well now I'm getting off topic...
05-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #14

I absolutly love tilt shift photos. My favorite from the link is the one with the building fire