Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where are the pentaxes?

Before I'm charged with blasphemy or branded a heretic or traitor here me out.I love my k20d and what it can do but i have a nagging question.
Every time I watch t.v. or peruse photographs in magazines or other media I notice that the photographers are mostly using Canons or Nikons.From the sports guys taking pics or the reporters at press conferences I see mostly Canons or Nikons.Where are the Pentaxes? Is it because the other cameras were established before Pentax started making inroads in the digital field? I just don't know.
I had to raise the question so don't "shoot the messenger" I'm not giving up my Pentax(3rd one that I have owned).I'm sticking with Pentax for the long haul, afterall it was my first digital camera and it got me picture of the week in Parade Magazine several years ago plus several front page photos in my local newspapers here north of Boston on the North Shore.I'm just a senior enjoying the hobby and I hope to be around for a good many years. Respectfully as always--Charliezap

05-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
julianactive

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Before I'm charged with blasphemy or branded a heretic or traitor here me out.I love my k20d and what it can do but i have a nagging question.
Every time I watch t.v. or peruse photographs in magazines or other media I notice that the photographers are mostly using Canons or Nikons.From the sports guys taking pics or the reporters at press conferences I see mostly Canons or Nikons.Where are the Pentaxes? Is it because the other cameras were established before Pentax started making inroads in the digital field? I just don't know.
I had to raise the question so don't "shoot the messenger" I'm not giving up my Pentax(3rd one that I have owned).I'm sticking with Pentax for the long haul, afterall it was my first digital camera and it got me picture of the week in Parade Magazine several years ago plus several front page photos in my local newspapers here north of Boston on the North Shore.I'm just a senior enjoying the hobby and I hope to be around for a good many years. Respectfully as always--Charliezap
Get rid of your camera and get one of the more popular brands. That way you will feel better about yourself.
05-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by julianactive Quote
Get rid of your camera and get one of the more popular brands. That way you will feel better about yourself.
Your obviously missing the point. All I'm asking is an answer to my query.--I do feel good about myself and my camera.The last thing that i want to do is upset people.Charliezap
05-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Damn Brit

It's just a reflection of Pentax's share of the market Charlie.

05-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It's just a reflection of Pentax's share of the market Charlie.
Hi Gary--Just an observation--In my road running days i looked to see what others were wearing for shoes--now it's cameras--Will Pentax replace the Canon and Nikon owners.Time will tell.This seems like an interesting topic--Your friend-Charliezap
05-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Gary--Just an observation--In my road running days i looked to see what others were wearing for shoes--now it's cameras--Will Pentax replace the Canon and Nikon owners.Time will tell.This seems like an interesting topic--Your friend-Charliezap
In addition to being pretty darn good cameras, you can easily rent Nikon or Canon lenses in most towns, and service is usually quicker and easier to find as well.
05-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
julianactive

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
In addition to being pretty darn good cameras, you can easily rent Nikon or Canon lenses in most towns, and service is usually quicker and easier to find as well.
And you have to rent them because they are always breaking down.

This rush to the highest spec camera is funny. People rush here rush there yet they never learn to take pictures. I am an avid mountain biker and there are always the gear heads who post endlessly on the MTB forums but when we get them in the dirt with our old dirty equipment we leave them in the dust!

05-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It may be due to Pentax being slow into digital markets so let me ask, back in film days did many pros (sports, reporters ...) use Pentax, was Pentax's market share about the same then as now?
05-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Damn Brit

We need to start infiltrating the local camera clubs and show people they don't need to go high end to get results.
05-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
julianactive

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
We need to start infiltrating the local camera clubs and show people they don't need to go high end to get results.
Nah, We need to get people to take more pictures vs. padding their post count.
05-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
It may be due to Pentax being slow into digital markets so let me ask, back in film days did many pros (sports, reporters ...) use Pentax, was Pentax's market share about the same then as now?
Nikon pretty much owned the "pro" market for quite some time, but in recent years Canon's caught up and by now I'd say they are neck and neck. Minolta and to some extent Pentax had a shot at grabbing some market share back in the 70s/80s but it never really materialized. (It's a bit of a bummer since they were IMO ahead on AF development back then.)
05-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
julianactive

Nikon pretty much owned the "pro" market for quite some time, but in recent years Canon's caught up and by now I'd say they are neck and neck. Minolta and to some extent Pentax had a shot at grabbing some market share back in the 70s/80s but it never really materialized.
Who cares??
05-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by julianactive Quote
Who cares??
I'm guessing Kguru, since he asked.
05-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #14
julianactive

Same thing in the biking community. The biggest sellers don't make the best bikes and don't fill niches.
It seems like a lot of people are insecure with their choices in gear and need validation. If you are looking for validation then I guess you should load up on Nikon or Canon cameras and lenses.
With bikes if you don't know how to ride or don't take the time to get in shape, the most expensive bike on the planet will just make you look foolish once you pull it off your expensive car and hit the trail.
05-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's ironic - I'm watching the red sox game right now and the back stop advertisement at the moment was Nikon--By the way Red Sox 2 Seattle 0 bottom of the first--chaeliezap