Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photography Schools (ONLINE)

OK, since there seems to be a good bit of users on here that are really thinking about making money from photography, and from that pool there are some that are actually serious about doing it. And from those serious thinkers there are the handfull that are ready to start the planning process. I think I am in the latter grouping, the handfull.

I have the equipment, I have the creativity, I have the passion and most importantly I have the time. So I think that I have all of the resources that I need to pull this off, except the always dialed in techniques. Now I can learn those techniques over time or I can get professional instruction, I think that I am going to opt for the latter.

I think that online courses will work best for me as I do have a job, well two actually. So I started to do some research for classes and I found Online Photography Classes: The Perfect Picture School of Photography, which is somewhat affiliated with Adorama. Then there was Photography Classes Online: Have a photography pro at your side - online, all the time!, seems similar, but suffice it to say that I have no indepth knowledge of either camps.

If anyone has any knowledge to pass along or any other resources for me to check out that would be helpfull. Just as a side not, I am looking to focus on product and portrait photography. Which I find it so odd, because I really like being outside, but I think it is because with a studio setting I can build off of my own creativity. Oh well...

Thanks in advance.

05-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are looking to start a business, you'd be better off taking some business courses than photography courses.

Check out the Small Business Administration and see if your town has someone you can talk to about business registration and getting a tax ID.

Go to the bookstore and find a book on starting a business in your state.
05-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, but I am already a business man, I run :: THE COQUERAN DESIGN STUDIO :: and :: CDS - HOSTING ::, this will be just another leg of the company more or less.
05-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Depends what kind of photography you really want to do Jay. I looked at the New York Institute of Photography a while back NYIP - Photography | Photography School | New York Institute of Photography | NYIP
It worries me that a lot of these online schools a) are still upgrading their curriculum from film based to digital based photography and b) are set up to churn out wedding photographers.
There is also the issue of finding a course that fits your needs based on your current skill levels.

I finally opted for the Academy of Arts because they were accredited and I wanted to go the whole hog and get a degree out of it. But that takes time and money.

Maybe you should be looking for local photographers who do workshops (lighting, portraiture etc.) that way you can cherry pick what you think you need in the shortest amount of time and with a minimum of costs.
Maybe you could find a photographer who desires your skills in the design field and trade knowledge. The benefit of that would be that you get to network because ultimately that is where the bulk of your paid work will come from.

05-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Gary, that is good info on the online stuff, I def don't wanna be a wedding photographer. I want to focus on product shooting primarily and portraits in the interim to bring in additional revenue. I am not against it but don't want to get into fashion photography. I never thought of taking day schools, which makes all the sense since I have all af my days free for the most part. I didn't give consideration to accredited schooling, I think that I will investigate that.
05-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you considered joining a local club? Of course it depends on their membership, but you may run across some pople willing to do one on one mentoring, which beats the heck out of just about any school, IMHO. Another plus is most clubs are very affordable - or even free.
05-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I just checked on real schooling, I think I would rather buy a Lexus and pay that off for 5 years...

05-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Yeah, I just checked on real schooling, I think I would rather buy a Lexus and pay that off for 5 years...
Told you.
05-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Just lost eveything I had typed. Buddha NYIP that Gary had mentioned is worth at least getting information from, I am enroled in their program as well as going through a 2 year (nights)digital media program. NYIP=$1200.00 aprox. 2 year digital media program=30k aprox. This for me is about gaining knowledge to make a career change, the more I know and can do the more marketable I will be, be it self employed or on the open market.

hope this helps a little.
05-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, I just printed out the NYIP paperwork, goann read it over and see what its all about. I must say that I like the price a heck of a lot better.
05-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have to say that a few of the courses at the "Online Photography Classes: The Perfect Picture School of Photography" looked interesting. I'm just not sure I couldn't get a lot of the same info from the class from a good book on that particular photography subject.

John
05-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well, I hate to readh, I am a do it kinda learner. I am kinda skeptical about online classes for that same reason, but I am not willing to drop 30k on classes either. I am hoping that I can get a lot out of the online, but only time and actuality will tell.
05-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
Inactive Account

For what it is worth my private instructor and also my assistant, has looked at the material from NYIP and found it to be informative. Please don't get me wrong here I'm not promoting one school just giving info on the one I have, however she has her masters in fine arts (photography) and found the program to have some merit. She comes from a film background and earned a fellowship with her 8x10 (what a monster) but is being slowly pulled into the digital age so in that respect we learn from each other and work together, to better our skills.
Do all the research you can to find a program that fits YOUR needs and expectaitons and also you wallet. As Diane often says to me "follow your bliss" or in the words of Henry David Thoreau, "Go Confidently in the Directions of Your Dreams".

Good Luck,
05-19-2009, 05:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

well, I hate to readh, I am a do it kinda learner. I am kinda skeptical about online classes for that same reason, but I am not willing to drop 30k on classes either. I am hoping that I can get a lot out of the online, but only time and actuality will tell.
Yeah, that is a lot of money. I was looking to take a class or two at around $200 each. If I was to go all out like you I'd be doing all kinds of research

John
05-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Jay...I'm kind of the same way. Though I do enjoy reading, I must do something to actually learn it well. I've taken some internet classes and can tell you that for me they are much harder than classroom work. It's just too easy to get distracted and put it off if something "more important" pops ups. And there always seems to be something more important to do.

The internet option is a great option, but it's not for everyone. I'm probably one of those. If I seclude myself in a far room of the house and tell the fam to leave me alone, I have a chance. Unfortunately, a session like this is the exception, not the rule.