Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Questions on Doing a Shoot with Pregnant Couple

I have been asked to come over and take pictures of a pregnant couple. They are due in middle of June. I have a portable studio flash set up. A/C, plus a few hot shoes. 2 30 inch soft boxes and a 40 inch umbrella and another lite that has barndoors, gels and grids.

They want the shoot in their apartment. 15 foot lofted ceilings. two walls of brick. Big facing windows.

Asking for some guidance on a shot list. Examples, suggestions.

Also on pricing... They insist on paying and will weird out if I am not "reasonable" (in this case meaning "enough.") I haven't any clue on that. I suppose what I would be doing is providing a full package of photos. On disk and in print. I'd like to take care of the printing since they have their hands full.

What's a reasonable package? 8x10s...?

They are also considering having me on call for the birthing! I have done this once before. Honored and also have the same questions... shot list suggestions, examples and pricing...

Any assistance in thinking this out is appreciated!.

05-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
Also on pricing... They insist on paying and will weird out if I am not "reasonable" (in this case meaning "enough.") I haven't any clue on that. I suppose what I would be doing is providing a full package of photos. On disk and in print. I'd like to take care of the printing since they have their hands full.
Simply make an invoice, listing all you have to do. Estimate each and provided total. You will end up with a reasonable amount. For example:
  • Initial consultation (on location): $XXX
  • Equipment rental: $XXX
  • Studio rental: $XXX
  • Travel and meals: $XXX
  • Photo session: X hours * rate per hour = $XXX
  • Basic post processing (tonal and color correction) all photographs: $XXX
  • Advanced/special post-processing: X photographs * charge = $XXX
  • Prints 8 x 10: number of prints * charge per print = $XXX
  • Framing: number of prints * charge per frame = $XXX
  • CD/DVD copy for the client: $XXX
  • Backup storage/copy of all photographs for up to X years/months: $XXX

...and so on. Note that you can list any item as FREE but leave them on the list!!! That way the client could clearly see the effort and skills involved and appreciate your work more. Good candidate for a FREE item is initial consultation if it does not really involve any expenses (say, travel) or high level of expertise. You can even add something as
"Converting RAW files to JPEG: FREE" and similar to outline the whole process. It will make you look serious and make them understand they are actually paying for more then just pressing shutter release button (which anyone can do).
05-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Hi Metroloise

Sounds like you have a great opportunity here. Sounds like you have gear that is going to work for you. I have not photographed many pregnant couples however a local photographer in my area is a master at it. Her name is Kelly and her link is her:

Kelli Etheridge - Nanaimo Photographer

If you look through her portfolio this should give some ideas.

The only suggestion that I would make would is to bring a black background this will allow you to get some intimate mood shots. Also if you want that classic silhouette shot of the expecting mom place her in front of the soft boxes.(stack them if you can) and meter for the background when you fire your strobes it will give you a nice silhouette of your subject.

I hope this helps

AC
05-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Make sure you compose with cropping space for 8x10 proportions

05-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have been asked to come over and take pictures of a pregnant couple. They are due in middle of June.
Are they both pregnants?????
05-23-2009, 12:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright! This a great start; thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
Simply make an invoice, listing all you have to do. Estimate each and provided total. You will end up with a reasonable amount. For example:
  • Initial consultation (on location): $XXX
  • Equipment rental: $XXX
  • Studio rental: $XXX
  • Travel and meals: $XXX
  • Photo session: X hours * rate per hour = $XXX
  • Basic post processing (tonal and color correction) all photographs: $XXX
  • Advanced/special post-processing: X photographs * charge = $XXX
  • Prints 8 x 10: number of prints * charge per print = $XXX
  • Framing: number of prints * charge per frame = $XXX
  • CD/DVD copy for the client: $XXX
  • Backup storage/copy of all photographs for up to X years/months: $XXX

...and so on. Note that you can list any item as FREE but leave them on the list!!! That way the client could clearly see the effort and skills involved and appreciate your work more. Good candidate for a FREE item is initial consultation if it does not really involve any expenses (say, travel) or high level of expertise. You can even add something as
"Converting RAW files to JPEG: FREE" and similar to outline the whole process. It will make you look serious and make them understand they are actually paying for more then just pressing shutter release button (which anyone can do).

Yes I am digging this. the list helps to give perspective on just what it is I am providing. Still "How Much?" like as in bare minimum. Total minus physical objects, printing and cds? Hard because I'd do it for free...

QuoteOriginally posted by GnusMas Quote
Hi Metroloise

Sounds like you have a great opportunity here. Sounds like you have gear that is going to work for you. I have not photographed many pregnant couples however a local photographer in my area is a master at it. Her name is Kelly and her link is her:

Kelli Etheridge - Nanaimo Photographer

If you look through her portfolio this should give some ideas.

The only suggestion that I would make would is to bring a black background this will allow you to get some intimate mood shots. Also if you want that classic silhouette shot of the expecting mom place her in front of the soft boxes.(stack them if you can) and meter for the background when you fire your strobes it will give you a nice silhouette of your subject.

I hope this helps

AC
Yes it did help to see her pictures and her whole set up... Great stuff. Took the gear out today to learn it some. A shoot with an aerialist... Great stuff. Tried some high key set ups. Just mostly getting to know the gear.

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Make sure you compose with cropping space for 8x10 proportions
? Do you mean to constrain the crop to 8x10 ratio?

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Are they both pregnants?????
Yep!
05-23-2009, 04:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes I am digging this. the list helps to give perspective on just what it is I am providing. Still "How Much?" like as in bare minimum. Total minus physical objects, printing and cds? Hard because I'd do it for free...
Well, that's really up to you. But try to think this way: if you would say "no I can't do it" and have them find someone else or go to a professional studio, how much do you think others would charge them? They would certainly not do it for free, of for the cost of time and material only, so that option is out. Several thousand dollars most likely won't work either. So the right amount would probably be somewhere between several hundred and a thousand.

05-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, that's really up to you. But try to think this way: if you would say "no I can't do it" and have them find someone else or go to a professional studio, how much do you think others would charge them? They would certainly not do it for free, of for the cost of time and material only, so that option is out. Several thousand dollars most likely won't work either. So the right amount would probably be somewhere between several hundred and a thousand.
Thanks. That is what I am thinking. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 severals ... Include cds (local printer does great custom cd holders and they had done that for their wedding... Thinking of using that as a creative take off point.... these should complement that packaging) Make that portion an add in...

Whew I am excited. Went out last night to shoot the aerialist! So fun. First use of the portable a/c flash studio lights. Learning the gear. Doing some more testing around here to get more comfortable too.

Think the first shoot will be this week. Due mid June.

Ironic but I think I am going to use the money to get some strobist hotshoe flash gear to round out my lighting.

Another Question: What is being sold and being bought? I would like to keep rights to use images on a "real" future website... (Not my flickr I use as my personal photo journal to share with the community...) Use them in portfolios, maybe galleries.

Are there model model releases to look through so I can pick one that suits our needs?

Thanks all.
05-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Another Question: What is being sold and being bought? I would like to keep rights to use images on a "real" future website... (Not my flickr I use as my personal photo journal to share with the community...) Use them in portfolios, maybe galleries.

Are there model model releases to look through so I can pick one that suits our needs?
If I remember well, in the States photographer retains the copyright, while in Canada the client does by default. That is until it is not specified otherwise in the agreement, which I would always recommend to have signed by both parties.

Model releases: for your portfolio (printer or website) or gallery exhibitions you do not need model release since those uses are not considered commercial. But if for example your photographs are going to be sold as stock photography, printed as calendars, in books or book covers, on t-shirts, mugs, used on product packaging, or used for advertising of other products or services as in magazine ads, billboards, brochures, corporate websites, and so on, you will need to have model release signed.
05-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I remember well, in the States photographer retains the copyright, while in Canada the client does by default. That is until it is not specified otherwise in the agreement, which I would always recommend to have signed by both parties.

Model releases: for your portfolio (printer or website) or gallery exhibitions you do not need model release since those uses are not considered commercial. But if for example your photographs are going to be sold as stock photography, printed as calendars, in books or book covers, on t-shirts, mugs, used on product packaging, or used for advertising of other products or services as in magazine ads, billboards, brochures, corporate websites, and so on, you will need to have model release signed.
That was the clearest mumbojumbo less statement of that! Thank you.

Street candids? There is a question. Can't put together a book of them? Each individual has to sign off on them? That release a permission to use aside of any Issues of payment? ... "Permission to use as desired... no payment..."

I have a Nokia n800. Thinking of making a short cut on my desktop to a release form and having that in my pocket. whip it out and have the person sign right then and there. That'd Work?