Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2009, 06:10 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Punching a glass and breaking your hand is stupid anytime!

Yeah, I don't think there's an age limit on that one.

05-31-2009, 06:17 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
I especially like Mike Cash’s comment –
“So take a break from photography and just take pictures instead.”
I'm gonna side with Tom and Mike on this one. It may be different for you, but I sometimes handicap myself by doing too much self-editing before I shoot. I'll tell myself, "Oh, that's not worth shooting" or "Who'd want to see a picture of that?" I end up talking myself out of a great number of shots. I've learned that, for me, the best way to get past that is to tell those internal doubts to "shut up", then just start shooting even if those initial pics aren't my best. I call it "getting off of high-center". Once I shoot a pic or two, I see ways to make it better. That leads to a few more pics, which often gives me an idea for yet another pic...and before I know it, I'm immersed in shooting and don't feel anywhere near as blocked as I did moments earlier. And if that doesn't work, I hire a scantily clad model and shoot her instead. (J/K I just liked that answer earlier. )
05-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Sometimes, you just have a bit of a fallow period, particularly after having been learning something new. Pain can really put a damper on your interest in shooting, too, it can be good to do some meditation just to make sure it's not something about the surgery that's unsettled you, you might not be 'all the way back' in a way.

Sometimes all it takes is to shoot at something, anything, just to hear the shutter fire... get together with some friends and just start cranking, you may find you drop right into your zone, when it doesn't seem like it will. State-dependent memory and all. Pain and the sense of what feels 'rewarding' can mess with each other, believe me. When I am or have been hurting, I'll often feel all kinds of inhibited and self-conscious. Which is definitely no fun when people photography is your thing.

If you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it. I carry cameras, anyway: you never know when the light's going to get interesting.
06-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom. I think my main problem is that i have way too many hobbies, and i think that's why in my life I can perform adequately in several areas, but never really excel at anything! I love sports, cooking, photography, mind-rotting video games, and i've just taking an interest in woodworking, not to mention i have 2 kids and one on the way.

I tore my ACL back in 2004 playing a game of flag football. Doc said I could have surgery to get back to playing sports again, or I could just change my hobbies. I decided upon the latter, more because I am a chicken than anything else. In 2007, I decided I wanted to have the surgery. I chickened out again. I did as the doctor told me to do and changed my hobbies. I got back into photography and had a great time with it.

Finally, earlier this year I said enough was enough. I am tired of not being able to play sports. So on April 1st i went ahead with getting my knee fixed. Very glad I just did it, better now at 30 than later when recovery would be slower. But it was like a switch was flipped off instantaneously with photography. weird. I am now into rehab and want to get back to playing sports again. I know the photomojo will come back eventually, i just did not expect this complete drop off in interest.

Thanks again for the support! I still check this site out every single day...so it can't be completely gone! Any takers on taking the reigns on the Project 52 for a second year??!?

06-01-2009, 06:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
Hi Dan, i'm 16 years old and i started photography just over 1 year ago. Throughout my life i have picked up hobbys and dropped them without much thought. Nothing ever stuck with me. I too have lost my photo mojo a few times and it always comes back.
Most recently i punched a pint glass while drunk and broke two tendons on the back of my hand! I couldnt pick up a camera for 1 month and had trouble after that. I took a few photos recently but not like i used to. Last week i began a project photographing blank urban landscapes, with symmetry etc. And today it was sunny and i just got a new flash, so i went outside and took over 1000 pictures of insects and plants. I feel like its all coming back to me now!
To put it simply, just get out there and start thinking about things to photograph, projects or subjects you could get interested in, whatever. These things tend to come and go like waves

good luck!
Sent you a PM about this post Isaac
06-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks for the PM. I dont drink much at all and when i do drink im usually great with it. Unfortunately it was one of my first times drinking only vodka on a night and i guess i was testing my limits! I've definitely learnt a lesson.
In terms of my photo mojo, i have a photo pass to my favourite band tonight and ive also been talking to the local badger-watch group about doing a photoshoot at a nearby badger sett.
Good look to anyone else who is on the blink photography wise!
06-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
So take a break from photography and just take pictures instead.
Best. Advice. EVER!

I followed that myself this weekend and had a fantastic time - and made some (in my opinion anyway) great photos.

06-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #23
Damn Brit

Dan, it happens to all of us. Take a daytrip to someplace new. Not with the intention of taking photos but take the camera anyway, I find that helps.
06-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
Yeah don't drink, get drunk, do drugs, meet girls, have sex, listen to loud music or anything that's fun. I suggest going to church, listen to gospel, read the bible and live in a closet to be safe.
Pretty sad commentary, actually. I hope you find out what real fun is someday. Seriously.
06-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

So take a break from photography and just take pictures instead.
This is definitely good advice...I'm pretty anal but I'll give it a try.
06-06-2009, 04:24 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
This is definitely good advice...I'm pretty anal but I'll give it a try.
Not every click of the shutter has to result in a masterpiece. For those of us who do our damnedest to make every shot the absolute best we can, those skills will still manage to come through when we just relax and take snapshots, so not all is lost by just relaxing and giving ourselves permission to not always strive for something to hang in an art gallery.

I find it helps a lot to take some old piece of crap film camera that no one would reasonably expect a great photo from anyway. Toy cameras are especially nice for that, or at least some camera with extremely limited features and controls.
06-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

This is a pretty good article that you might want to have a read of:

Why You Should Stop Being A Photographer | Nice Photography Magazine - Bring a little fine art to your photography.
06-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Thank you for sharing. Great link!
06-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #29
Forum Member

Buy an old manual film camera with no program features at all. That'll get the juices flowing again.
06-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #30
Forum Member

The slump

Just like in sports , there are level spots that are not as enjoyable because you do not feel you are getting better. Do something simple like go out on your property or a park or in your house and take 20 photos of everyday things but from an interesting angle, perspective or lighting. We all get used to our own plateau and it may seem ordinary or boring, post them on flickr or another forum, someone across the world will see it as interestingly different than thier plateau and appreciate your contribution.

A photo taken today will bring back a flood of memories when viewed in 20 years. It is hard to remember if you do not take the shot.